“It's all been said!!”
Review of Beechwood Hotel

Beechwood Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in North Walsham
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Having never been to north Norfolk before I did an Internet search for hotels in the area. The only one that consistently came up on the search engines was The Beechwood. What a find!!

Don and Lindsay have obviously worked very hard to get the hotel to the standard it is and it's as near perfect as you will get. We have stayed in 5* hotels that don't come close to the standard of this hotel.

On our arrival, a young man came out to the car park and asked if he could help with our bags. The next time we saw the bags was in our room. Nobody hanging around for a tip, they were just left neat and tidy in the room. On booking in we were taken on a brief tour of the ground floor of the hotel and informed of the necessary info regarding dinner that evening, orders for newspapers, breakfast, etc.

We had friends who live in the area joining us for dinner on our first evening. They had told us that the hotel was "very posh". It's not posh it's just very nice and very relaxed. The food was superb that night and for the next 3 nights of our stay. When they say its a 3 course set menu, don't believe them. It's not!!! Nibbles before, appetisers, velouté, starter, main, dessert, coffee and chocolates/petit fours. It's a feast!!!

The choice at breakfast is plentiful and portions very good. I had to ask for half portions which was more than sufficient for me.

Our bedroom wasn't huge but adequate and the bed was very comfy and the bath/shower room was beautiful, equipped with everything you need including lovely smellies. We didn't hear any other guests whilst in our room and slept well.

The staff are a credit to Don and Lindsay. I have never stayed in a place where you couldn't single out at least one member of staff that could maybe do with a little staff development. But not here. Thanks to you all.

There's lots to do in the area to keep you busy for a few days or longer and I can thoroughly recommend The Beechwood.

We will be back. (Sorry lads!!!)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 18, 2013

The Beechwood Hotel is set behind an eruption of rhododendrons on a gravel drive off a quiet road leading into North Walsham. Its ivy-covered frontage promises informal charm, in a resolutely non-corporate setting, and it doesn't disappoint.

We stayed for a weekend, from Friday until Monday (taking advantage of a weekend deal), so had ample opportunity to sample both the ambience of the hotel, and the quality of its cuisine. On arrival, we were welcomed by one of the two proprietors, who seem to be around the place pretty much 24 hours a day, although it has to be said that the level of staffing other than them is also more than adequate. Our bags were whisked from the car to our room and we were checked in and installed efficiently and swiftly - perhaps just as well, as we had arrived at 8pm to join a family group for dinner.

The overall feel of the hotel is very intimate - the bar area is not cramped, but nor is it so large as to feel impersonal; similarly, the dining room, which is formed of three rooms adjoining, succeeds in feeling personal and intimate, despite being able to accommodate a reasonable number of people. My wife and I were impressed with the selection on offer at the bar (four types of gin!), and service was again swift and friendly.

Since we were going to be enjoying three evening meals, and a Sunday lunchtime meal, I was particularly interested to see what the menu choices were going to be like - as a vegetarian, I am sadly inured to finding myself very much the poor relation when it comes to having a wide choice of dishes. In this case, however, I was not to be disappointed - not only did each main menu present at least one vegetarian option for starter and main course, but a separate vegetarian menu had been prepared and was given to me: although I did not make the booking, it appears that the hotel was forewarned, and I was most appreciative of the care that had clearly gone into selecting a broad range of interesting and varied dishes for my choice. Indeed, some of my non-vegetarian colleagues were only too happy to avail themselves of the additional choice themselves!

Although it was pointed out that the main Friday menu was to be repeated on the Sunday evening, I was informed on Sunday that, in view of the fact that we had been there all weekend, and to avoid my having to repeat any choices, the chef had revised the vegetarian menu to offer a new range of options for that evening - I certainly could not fault the service I received in regard to my dining choices.

Our room was a ground floor room, with a door that opened onto a shared patio and garden (more of which later). One downside of this was that, on occasions, it could get a little noisy outside with groups of people chatting - although it was never a particular problem to us - but the flip side of that coin was the opportunity to step outside into a beautifully manicured and cared-for garden that felt far more like a professionally-maintained private garden than something attached to a hotel. Stretching away from the building for a considerable distance was a well-cared-for lawn, with beautifully planted borders, hidden away corners (one, touchingly, containing a memorial stone for a much loved pet dog of the proprietors), a summer house, pergola, sunken pond, and a number of mature trees, including the eponymous beech tree.

The room itself was compact, though well appointed, although my six foot frame would perhaps have appreciated a little padding along the lintel to the bathroom door, which did, admittedly sport a sign warning me to mind my head, although I failed to always heed it. The bathroom itself featured a shower and a bath, and was nicely appointed, with a range of toiletries, towels and face cloths.

One small niggle: there are a few places throughout the hotel where things aren't quite right - I noticed a couple of toilet roll holders with a tendency to drop off the wall, and the windows in our room were a little prone to sticking, and I felt slightly uncomfortable using too much force to close them, in case the handle came off in my hand, but these were minor defects which did not detract from our enjoyment of the room or the quality of our stay.

Throughout the stay, the proprietors and staff were in constant - but unobtrusive - attendance, and we found the standard of service to be excellent: too often, one finds staff to either be somewhat artificially polite and obsequious, as if they have learned how to do it out of a book, or rather standoffish and formal. The staff at the Beechwood - perhaps taking the lead of their employers, who were informal and friendly at all times - were friendly and engaging, and even in the odd case where they were obviously inexperienced, they appeared to have already been well-trained to interact in a friendly and efficient way with guests.

We were fortunate in that much of the cost of our stay was met by others, but in any case the rate that was paid for our room seemed reasonable in view of the level of comfort, service and amenities provided. Drinks and meals were by no means cheap, but they were of a quality and presentation entirely in accordance with the cost, and the quality of the food in particular amply merited the amount being charged.

Overall, all of the qualities of the hotel made for a very enjoyable, comfortable and pleasant weekend stay, and we would be more than happy to stay there again on the basis of our experiences.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We have been visiting the Beechwood for short breaks over the last 10 years and it is an absolute pleasure to report that standards are maintained at the highest level throughout.
Don and Lindsay deserve their 3 Red Star rating from the AA with our spacious well furnished bedroom, with flat screen TV, tea & coffee making, large bathroom with bath and separate shower. The food is a highlight, being locally sourced and superb quality, and as good as I have tasted anywhere. Attention to detail is first rate.
They and the rest of the staff, who are all English, are extremely attentive and make guests very welcome. I would fully recommend the hotel to anyone.
North Walsham is ideally located for anyone wishing to visit the North Norfolk coast or the broads, and Norwich is just a short train ride away.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tony187057
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was our 2nd stay at the Beechwood. As usual, we were warmly welcomed by Don, Lindsay and staff. Rooms/Bathrooms are generous in size and spotlessly clean. Mattresses are exceptional, best sleep we've had for a long time. Food is of an extremely high standard, with a good choice and the kitchen are more than happy to accommodate with non menu items and specific requirements. We've been fortunate enough to eat in many top restaurants and can honestly say that the food here is as good as most, and better than some, particularly when you consider value.

Customer service and satisfaction is clearly a priority as we were all so well looked after from the moment we arrived.

We would thoroughly recommend and will definitely be returning!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gary S
Reviewed May 22, 2013

The owners and staff are very attentive and work hard to ensure you enjoy your stay at Beechwood. Our room was very spacious and had lovely furnishings. The bathroom was huge, but the shower was small by comparison. The heating could have been better - we were cold when not in bed despite the radiator being on full.
We had dinner and breakfast at the hotel on each of the three days we stayed. Choices are very limited and not to every taste. Food is quite bland and prepared in a very boring way.
Quite nice, but not our kind of place.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank meowf
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed here last Autumn but only got around reviewing now.

Don and Lindsey are attentive hosts, supported by their friendly staff. We stayed for 3 nights and had dinner each evening. It is very relaxing to come back from a day sightseeing in Norfolk (we looked for seals but unfortunately they all wanted to stay in the sea), get changed in a comfortable room and just to walk down the stairs/corridor! And back up again later in the evening (after a bottle or wine..or 2...but if you don't manage to finish the bottle, they will keep it for you for the next evening)

Food was excellent; room well appointed. A very good location if you want a relaxing stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aslun
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We have been going to The Beechwood for dinner for several years and everything has always been perfect,Don and Lindsey make you so welcome and the staff are very attentive,we would not hesitate to recommend the Beechwood as the best place to eat in the area as we live in North Walsham it's right on our doorstep,

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Park Farm Hotel
Park Farm Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hethersett
Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Beechwood Hotel? Share your experiences!