“Delicious food”

Scarborough Hill Hotel
Ranked #16 of 30 Restaurants in North Walsham
Cuisines: Bar, British
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Delicious food”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Went in for Dinner (Easter day) weren't sure if they were still serving, but luckily for us they were.
We had the local Asparagus with poached egg (ummmmm scrumptious) I had the trout and hubby had the beef which he said was really good and very tender, hubby had the sticky toffee pudding and I had the creme brulee which was really creamy, one of the best I've ever had, and that is comparing to the ones I've had in France and Italy. We had a couple of drinks in the bar, which has comfy sofa's, before strolling back to the Two mills touring park across the road.
All in all a very enjoyable evening without having to drive.

• Visited April 2014

North Walsham
“A highly pleasurable dining experience near North Walsham”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I may not be the world's most difficult diner to please, but I certainly must come somewhere in the top ten: a vegetarian who doesn't like vegetables is a pretty difficult customer to please. Usually I have to resort to the children's menu before I can find anything to suit my severely limited tastes. Today, however, I discovered a restaurant that happily adapted its menu to suit me, and I enjoyed one of the best meals out I've had in a long time...and only about a mile from my own back door.

On the Old Yarmouth Road into North Walsham, one of North Norfolk largest market towns, there rises a very steep hill. This is noteworthy enough in itself in this flat landscape. Locals come from miles around to stare at it, scratch their wise old heads and mutter: "I ain't never sin nothun like it, bor, an' thass a fact."

Half way up this spectacular hill (or half-way down, if you're going the other way) is an charming old building, nestling modestly out of sight of the roadway. At the road end of the steeply-rising drive, sign boards proclaim that there is a country inn up there. I have always taken their word for it, but today, we turned off the road and parked outside the wisteria-hung entrance.

A plaque on the door announces that the local Rotary Club dines here every fortnight. A good sign, this - discerning eaters, these Rotarian chappies. There is an air of slightly faded glory when you enter the reception room. A rare antique piano stands against the side wall. Technically an upright, it is so upright, in fact, that it almost reaches the ceiling. Other antique curiosities adorn the bar and the other public rooms. (I spent longer than I needed in the gents, enjoying reading the reprints of old maritime posters which decorate the walls.)

The small bar serves local ales, and there are settees to relax on here while you wait for your meal to arrive. From a broad, and (I am told) mouth-watering menu, my wife selected a simple dish of local asparagus served with a poached egg from one of the hotel's own chickens and a portion of home-cut chips. I can testify personally that these are some of the finest chips to be had hereabouts, and I've sampled most of those on offer. The waitress said if we wanted extra chips we only had to ask. (We did, but were too scared of looking gluttonous to say so, the original portions having been generous in the first place.)

Although we dined in the bar today, the hotel also boasts a large conservatory where big parties can be accommodated. Rooms are available for overnight stays, and there is an imposing marquee on the lawn for weddings. Don't tell the wife, but if I ever have another wedding, I'm definitely going to come here. if you have never dined here, I urge you to do so at once, before the rest of the world discovers it and takes all the best seats.

• Visited April 2014
Norfolk, United Kingdom
“The Scarborough Hill needs your support”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

In its heyday,15+ years ago, the Scarborough Hill was probably the finest eatery in the area. Since then, there has been a succession of owners, and it is now 'Ian' who is hoping to put it on the map once again.
It is an ideal location - i.e. for a wedding in particular - and is an ideal spot to explore North Norfolk, and, inland, the city of Norwich.
The hospitality and friendliness which greets you is quite apparent ... the menu is varied, and not over-priced. On a recent evening out with friends (10 of us), the service was very good and the food nicely presented. The conservatory, though not open the other evening, provides a lovely, relaxing outlook, and the marquee is ideal for that special occasion.
I understand that work has been done on the refurbishment of the bedrooms, and Ian has still some way to go to return it to its former glory - but Ian needs the support of everyone to visit the Scarborough Hill and make a success ... go there and try.

• Visited March 2014
Hockley, United Kingdom
“a great find”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

we found this hotel via tripadvisor and what a gem, the room was spacious and airy, the staff couldn't have done enough, in a quiet lane away from the main town it was a treat to relax and unwind. the evening meal was good value and it has a well stocked bar available to non residents, in extensive grounds we cant wait to return in the spring.

Visited December 2013
eastbourne
“People come here to die”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Passed this restaurant many times and thought that it looked great from the outside so it must be superb on the inside. I booked a table for 4 adults and 3 children and when we arrived we were shown into a huge conservatory with a green decor scheme everywhere. There was absolutely no atmosphere in this room , no background music, just the chink of cutlery on crockery from a couple of diners. This restaurant is not geared up for children and they don't have a children's menu .we sat in silence and couldn't wait to leave . On appositive note the food wasn't to bad. This restaurant has so much potential but it has lost its way. I probably wouldn't come back again.

• Visited August 2013