“Shocking and Dissapointing”
Review of The Cockerel - CLOSED

The Cockerel
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
North Walsham, United Kingdom
“Shocking and Dissapointing”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Myself and some work colleagues attended a 'Christmas Lunch' there and i am sorry to say it was without any shadow of a doubt the worst meal i have had this year, let me begin..Pate on Melba toast, just toast without the Melba, the pate was some cheap dogmeat that was bargain basement. Christmas Turkey was processed turkey with very cold vegtables, they didn't even take the time to warm it up in a microwave, other people within our party complained about this too. Christmas pudding was served with single cream..single cream???? When the eff has anyone EVER eaten Christmas pudding with single cream? again i was not alone in my disatisfaction in the deserts, 'Ice Cream Sundae with Cream' was simply ice cream served up in bowl..with no cream! Cockerel staff if you are reading this, ice cream in a bowl is..ice cream in a bowl and not a sundae. Final insult to the 'Christmas Lunch' was a Mince Pie that stuck to every crevice of your mouth, obviously the cheapest purchase for The Cockerel at a cost to the customer. I will defrinately not be returning there EVER again, you have lost my custom and every person that i know who 'used to' frequent there.

• Visited December 2012
MarkRushen, Owner at The Cockerel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Hello there.. I am shocked and saddened to read your review, I will attempt to answer your points, but feel I must say that we served hundreds of 3 course Christmas dinners this year, for £15.95 and have received many, many compliments.

The pate and melba toast: the pate we served was a good quality either chicken liver parfait or ardennes, to call it dog meat I think is very unfair, we have had people buying it from us to take home. The vast majority of the time, we did serve melba toast, but occasionally, when it was busy it was toast that went out, I apologise that this happened to you and that you found it unacceptable. The turkey is certainly not "processed", we buy in turkey crowns and roast them here. If your dinner was cold, then this is obviously unacceptable and I apologise, I wish you had told us at the time, we would've been very happy to serve you another dinner. With dessert, there was a choice of cream, custard or ice-cream. Its double cream that we serve with it... if you were given single cream, I can only apologise, sometimes mistakes are made, this one was easily rectifiable if you had mentioned it at the time. The ice-cream sundae was good quality Ronaldos ice-cream., a mixture of mulled wine, mince pie, cinnamon and so on, served with wafers and sauce. The mince pies were not cheap, we had them for our own Christmas celebrations.

We try to balance good quality ingredients with a decent price. I am sorry you feel it was so awful. I wish you had said something at the time so we could have tried to rectify the situation.

normal for norfolk
“nice place, shame about the coffee”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I visited this cafe recently, having not been for a while. I was delighted to see that the cafe was full when I walked in, the decor was very nice and the staff were welcoming. However, I was disappionted with the taste of my cappucino which was very weak. I liked everything else about the cafe, so I will probably visit again in the hope that the coffe will be tastier.

• Visited November 2012
MarkRushen, Owner at The Cockerel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Hello there, thank you for posting your review, happy to hear about the things you liked.. sorry the coffee was weak, we do use very good quality coffee, I expect it was more down to "operator error" Thanks for letting us know, Mark
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Good food at competitive prices”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

In the centre of the town, in a very old public house with plenty of history and atmosphere Good service and plenty of choice with specials every week.

Visited November 2012
MarkRushen, Manager at The Cockerel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Hello there, thank you for taking the time to post a review, glad to hear that you like what we are doing! Mark
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Always good value”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have eaten here a number of times. Food has always been good quality and good value, with prompt and friendly service. If you go around lunchtime you need to book - this place is popular.

Visited September 2012
MarkRushen, Owner at The Cockerel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Hi there, thank you so much for your review, it means a lot that you have taken the time to write it. Glad to hear you like what we do, Mark
Norfolk
“Excellent restaurant,”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

A lovely place to eat, Food is excellent, The staff are very helpful & friendly, You are made to feel very welcome, We often call in for coffee & a snack when shopping in N/W, Highly recommended,

Visited October 2012
MarkRushen, Owner at The Cockerel, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review, we're really glad you enjoy coming and have passed your comments on to the team. Thank you