“Fantastic Meal”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Recommend by a lovely lady in Holt, we went last Friday when they have a French inspired menu,as well as their usual menu, I had the Venison with lentels, which was full of flavor, the venison had been slow cooked, so was tender and lovely,like having a hug from a big cuddly bear!! my friends all enjoyed their meals, one had Fish and Chips, and one Steak, all got top marks.
I read the previous review, and I can not believe we are talking about the same place, but then we are all different and Tripadvisor gives people the platform to be unkind and cutting if they so wish !!!
We found the staff to be helpful and friendly, and as for the pub itself, clean and nicely decorated.
We will return hopefully at Christmas.

2  Thank theladyis

Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was recommended, but a huge disappointment. firstly a visit to the bar which was uninviting and the staff little better. The restaurant was dark dismal and dank! the decor so poor that where the paper had been dragged around the corner instead of being cut, it it now splitting. I can assure you that the picture of my "French inspired main" is good quality and exact. What happened to the rare meat that is compulsory in France?

2  Thank DrMIkeG
Rowan G, General Manager at The Anchor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Sadly this review you have given us seems inaccurate and potentially could be a malicious dig.
However I haven't taken your review personally.
I was serving you that evening from start to finish so have an accurate and detailed memory of your meal.
You came and and were greeted by one of my waitresses who went to take you to your booked restaurant table, but you mentioned you had been recommended the bar side, so we shuffled our bookings around to accommodate you, and then gave you one of the most popular tables in the bar side and we were pleased to have switched it around on such a busy evening.
With little eye contact and short sentences, I could tell you didn't want to talk, which is fine.
I made sure the service was top quality and pleased to see you had ordered off 'French Friday' 2 course for £13, not only that but chosen the SLOW BRAISED venison that had great reviews already in the service. (we also had an Onglet steak on the French Friday menu, maybe would have been the choice for a 'rarer' meat)
I went to check on your starters and got ignored twice, both buried into your ipads.
Third time lucky, I checked and managed to squeeze out an 'ok'.
In between courses I recommended a wine for you to have with your venison, with just a I proceeded.
Out came the Slow braised venison, I gave you a few minutes before checking.
I came back to check to see that one dish had nearly finished the other hacked, mauled and being photographed.
I asked how it was and the first reaction was 'revolting', I of course asked for reasons why and just received another 'revolting', I saw that there was a lot left and asked whether you had tasted it and no response, I offered you something else from the menu, but no.
After one of the venison dishes was completely finished you came up to pay the bill.
I was looking for a real reason for you taking such a dislike to the venison dish but you seemed to avoid it and just tell me about the several properties you have in France, and questioning whether I had been there.?!?
At this point I realized that that you weren't eating here to have a good meal, you had come to complain, without any genuine reasoning behind your disliking I gave no discount.
Which is why I'm not surprised to see you write a review on TA, as fantastic reviews above have pointed out TripAdvisor has created a platform for people to be unkind.
You have picked on our decoration, it is newly refurbished at the Anchor and we have a great team behind us with an incredible eye for detail and our re-furb and touches have had brilliant reviews, I feel your comment about our decoration is a desperate attempt to complain.
Of course if you had approached the situation differently and genuinely disliked your dish and wanted something else we would have happily obliged.
I think you came to the Anchor with intention of having a bad time.
The only way you have effected us by writing a negative review, but this has caused a reaction in some good reviews from other customers that we are so grateful to have come to the Anchor.
Enjoy your time in France,

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Had lunch here before a seal trip. Ended up here instead of at The Hero further along the coast, because it was dog-friendly and The Hero isn't. Was happy accident. While its location on a scary-looking bed made parking a bit iffy, it was fine really. And anyway, the food was great: lots of it, great chips, good value and they were relaxed about the dog.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

A day trip to North Norfolk on a beautiful Saturday in September,hadn't meant to to go here for a quick lunch but as time was of essence decided to chance it,we had been summer 2012 and were disappointed but great sandwiches and seafood platters were top notch,service more professional and friendly.The "ladies" much improved!!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Whether you are looking for just a Pint or a hearty mid-day meal The Anchor is a great place to stop off. On the main street through the village it is not overshadowed by the Michelin restaurant only 100 yards away - in fact it has collected menu local awards which are testament to the quality on offer.
Sit in or, when the weather allows, outside - families with or without children are welcome and for a mid-day meal this is perfect. The locals use it too which is another good sign.

1  Thank Peter_Bromley