Tripadvisor
Hunstanton
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews no lift oldest building overlooking the green sea view self drive country hotels reserved parking evening meal half board lovely position a ground floor room first floor night break plenty of hot water very pleasant stay tea and coffee short break
Selected filters
Reviewed January 12, 2020 via mobile

Stayed here with my husband and I can’t fault it. Food amazing, staff were very friendly and courteous. The room we stayed in had everything we needed. Comfy bed, clean facilities and nicely decorated. Will definitely come back

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank 659simam
Reviewed January 7, 2020 via mobile

Booked an early evening (6pm) meal for the family. The food was ok but very average. The problem was the lack of staff. They are clearly keeping their overheads down to the dissatisfaction of the customer. The last food to arrive was for the youngest child (someone has to be last) but the wrong order was brought out.
A atmosphere less hotel. Couldn’t leave quick enough sadly, wasn’t even asked if we want further drinks.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2020

Having travelled the world during my 79 years i have made use of different standards of hotels from 2 star in Japan to 6 star in Dubai, so if i was asked to award a hotel for having the most DOGS on its premises in one night the award would easly go to the GOLDEN LION as on the evening of DECEMBER 24th i saw 2 DOGS in the reception area, 5 DOGS in the bar area, and 7 DOGS in the function room, Both these rooms would then be used to serve a GALA CHRISTMAS LUNCH in less than 24 hours.
I understand Shearings have a room rate for dogs that includes a bed and a breakfast bowl this i feel should not allow the dogs to be in a room ware guests are eating, It is now clear to me as to which end of the hospitality ladder Shearings operate and i will never use them again, which is a pity as both the food and staff were outstanding over Christmas.

Room tip: ground floor with wet room
Reviewed December 30, 2019

I had my purse and address book stolen from my room while I was in the dining room having my evening meal. The room was not broken into, someone had used the master key to get in. The Manager was not interested, said it was a police matter, and hasn't even bothered responding to the last email I sent him. Needless to say, I won't be going back there.

1  Thank StokersTreks
Reviewed December 25, 2019

I really can't give a rating for this place since we didn't stay. We were literally on our way there when we received a call from Hotels.com to say the hotel was closed for the season (Christmas) and we could not stay there. Imagine our alarm - we were on holiday in the UK, driving around. We'd booked this hotel a couple of months earlier. They'd accepted our booking and our money but to be advised at the last minute that they were closed was very strange.
Fortunately, hotels.com found us a B & B that was in the same area. They transferred our booking and money to the B & B and all was good.
The following day, we drove past the Golden Lion Hotel. Its carpark was full - not closed as advised. What's going on?!
Poor form Golden Lion! We had looked forward to staying with you - pity you considered us so expendable.
Thanks hotels.com for helping us find somewhere alternative. If not, we'd have probably spent an uncomfortable winters night in our rental car.

Room tip: Beware of hotel cancelling your booking at the last minute