A newspaper offer of "third night for £20" made this a £35 pppn break for half-board. Last room on the first floor, so no-one stumbling past at 1 a.m. Comfortable, large, and warm, but no light at the writing desk :-(.
Food very good (scrambled egg excepted), portions modest, but very adequate. Expected litle variety at dinner for the price, but the table-de-hote menu changed every night, and there was something attractive on all three nights. I only wish I'd had fish on Friday!
Almost everyone was on the right side of 60, and of a quiet disposition, so very peaceful mealtimes. We avoided the "sea" end of the dining room, which was served by the wind/kite surfing enthusiast who was always ready to discuss the day's surfing.
We were able to park free on the road in front of the hotel, which might have been a little fortunate. We only realised the advantages of the Coast Hopper too late to use it.
Main outing was to Titchwell Marsh RSPB, which was as good as ever. If you aren't in the RSPB, use the bus - entry to the reserve is free, and the cafe is good value.
Of the avaialble churches we went to the Union Church, which can be seen from the hotel doors (look just to the left of the theatre, beyond the bus station). Congregation mainly older, but with families as well, and a young minister who seems to have the gift of reaching all ages. Skilful use of the "children's talk" to get a message to the adults!
Would we go again? For sure, yes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Golden Lion Hotel is a magnificent historic building. It is the oldest property in Hunstanton, and the oldest hotel in the area. The Golden Lion hotel overlooks a beautiful sandy beach, with sea views for most rooms. The hotel has recently been refurbished to the highest standards, and offers outstanding facilities. A limited number of parking spaces are available. The peace and serenity of the Hunstanton area offer wonderful opportunities for leisure travellers and lovers of the outdoors. Hiking, fishing, sailing and horse riding are all available nearby.The Hotel houses all of the amenities and facilities you would expect from a Coast & Country venue. In addition, our staff will offer you a warm, friendly welcome, and ensure that your stay is as relaxing and memorable as possible. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, Orbitz and LateRooms so you can book your The Golden Lion Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Lion Hunstanton
- Golden Lion Hotel Hunstanton
- The Golden Lion Hotel Hunstanton, Norfolk