“So good it's UNDERpriced!!!”
Review of Marine Hotel

Marine Hotel
Ranked #18 of 22 Hunstanton B&B and Inns
Southport, United Kingdom
“So good it's UNDERpriced!!!”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Asked for a twin, and they made one up for us. Arrived at 9:30pm. £30 each for the two of us. The room was immaculate, automatic light in the bathroom, nice spec fittings, everything was very clean and had been dusted to the highest standards. Staff were friendly and very helpful. Dined in Steak and Stilton the hotel restaurant, I had read good reviews of it on here and those reviews were spot on, delicious food, good to an excellent standard. My partner's steak was served under a cloche - I've only seen that happen on James Bond movies - Even though the restaurant was due to close soon we were not made to feel the least bit awkward for coming in and ordering late and the staff brought us drinks from the bar downstairs. We had a great nights sleep in this quiet hotel. Check was for 11am which was a little early but we didn't care because the weather was amazing that day and what was what we went for. As stated over the phone breakfast was not included in the room price. The traditional English breakfast is served in The Old Mariner's Bar which is out of the front door and under the hotel (yes this establishment is split into 3 The Marine Hotel, Steak and Stilton Restaurant, and The Old Mariner's Bar) A full English is only £3.95 and it is done to a very high standard. I've paid more for a sandwich in some overpriced delis. So to all the moaners on here who are b!tching that breakfast is not included in the room price £33.95 for a room and breakfast of this standard is very very hard to beat. I come from a seaside resort in the NW and I'd expect to pay £55 pp for the same standard. I heartily recommend this hotel for easy going couples and groups.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view are very warm if the sun has been on them all day and windows cannot be opened...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank TheSleeperxx99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We only stayed in Hunstanton for two days and in truth that was sufficient. Nobody's faulty of course but there was little sun on offer in Sunny Hunny! I'm sure it's great for families in decent weather but once you’ve walked the length of the seafront area and the impressive beach and cliffs there is very little else to see or do within the town for couples. However the Marine Hotel was the perfect oasis to explore nearby towns and beaches (Holkham is a must whatever the weather! Wells is also worth a visit but somewhat overrated IMHO). Sandringham too, is close enough to visit for all you Royal watchers out there. Our room (we had a great sea view) was large, spotless, well equipped with tea/coffee facilities, a small but efficient TV, a decent bed and a bathroom/ shower so good we wanted to take back with us. There is a small free onsite car park and the reception and service from the staff in all areas was first class. There is also a terrific restaurant ('Steak and Stilton') if you want a higher class of cuisine or much more popular was the bar area downstairs, which serves a wide range of pub grub. I have to say the food was as tasty and well presented as any and indeed better than many more 'high class' eating joints! Breakfast is served in the downstairs bar too and is open to the public. You do need to step outside briefly to access it and I can imagine that can be a challenge in inclement weather. Nonetheless the cooked breakfasts in all their variations are both filling tasty and really well cooked and presented. Brilliant! Any gripes? One double glazed window in our room wouldn't shut fully and when that easterly breeze blows you know it! Other than that this is a perfect example of a well-run, comfortable, spotlessly clean reasonably priced seaside hotel. Great service and lovely staff. I doubt we'd return simply as there isn't enough to do in the area to warrant the visit but if we did, this would be the first (and likely only) choice.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea are ideal but be aware these also over look the a main coastal road. This may b...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ROAMERS2
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2011

We stayed in a family suite - lovely large room with an enormous bathroom and sea views. Spotlessly clean. Centrally located and beach town centre easily accessible. The car park is slightly on the small side.

Early arrivals check in at the pub, evenings in the restaurant - it feels like the staff work for someone else and we had to wait while they served the pub customers first.

Our only gripe is the facilities are a bit limited. There is a pub on the Lower Ground Floor where they also serve the breakfast, but you have to go outside and walk down the stone terraces. Breakfast options were limited and no flexibility! Probably better value to walk around the corner as the local cafe had far more options.

There is also a restaurant adjacent to the entrance where we enjoyed a lovely well presented meal, but no options for children! Our 4 year old was climbing the walls as he isn't really fussed by michelin style presentation. I am surprised that a resort like Hunstanton can support such a fine dining experience, but as we were the only customers on a bank holiday evening . . . .

Overall it was a lovely room and well positioned "hotel" but slightly expensive in relation to the limited facilities - no lounge, reception or much else!

Room Tip: The suite on first floor with sea views - excellent and comfortable for 2 adults with 4 year old on...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank johnburg
watford
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Steak and Stilton, My extended family holiday in Hunstanton for a week every summer, or as we call it, the town the never wakes. After an appalling meal at the ancient mariner we decided to see if we could do better in town, by a total fluke we were recommended the steak and stilton.
Its quite hard to find so ask around, it’s above the ancient mariner, I had amazing thai food and I don’t remember what my Mrs had but her starter was a black pudding thing that usually I would not touch from a mile, but we both thought it was simply the most amazing food I’ve ever had in my life !! yes Ever.
This place is so good I kind of wonder how long it can last in Hunstanton. I really hope it does, the restaurant really is deserving of a town with much higher foot fall. I hope your there next year steak and stilton, whatever your doing don’t change it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Simon B
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We arrived and were able to put the car in a small but tidy car park outside the entrance. We
walked in and initially encountered a little bit of confusion (I initially found a little office and talked to two gentlemen only to find they didn't work there) but we saw a more official looking member of staff at the bar and were guided in the right direction, we paid the bill and were shown to our room up the thickly carpeted stairs. I did not see if there was a lift.

We had booked in advance and had asked for a room with a sea view on the top floor which we got (Room 7 Boudicca on the third floor).

First impressions of the rooms was that it was a little sparce but spacious with a good
quality feel with classic dark wood furniture, also a small TV and a kettle. The bathroom was
clean with a good sized shower - the shower assembly was expensive looking with a portable
lower shower head, a fixed upper head and also 6 jets (directly aimed at you!) each with
their own tap. All very good but I found in impossible to move the temperature knob, but
luckily it seemed to be set at an acceptable temperature.

The sea view while being neither a uninterupted or perfect vista was good enough to merit the
net curtains being moved out of the way with the top window kept open (It was a 28 degrees
outside in the day and warm at night) for the duration of our stay, I noted that the two side
windows were sealed shut (possibly as a safety precaution?). Being on the top floor we had a
greater degree of privacy.

We decided to treat ourselves to an evening meal in the restaurant. The dining room decor had a classic and expensive feel with chandeliers, candles and blue dark walls and ceilings.
The waiter had a reserved and professional manner about him, but he proved to both efficient
AND friendly. It seemed to me that I could be in a expensive London restaurant not in
Hunstanton. The food proved to be in keeping with this feeling and was very well presented on
the plate and served in perfect quantity and quality - and not expensive.
I noted there were seats outside where you could be more informal if you wished.

We didn't have breakfast at the Hotel and instead walked up the road nearer the coast to The
Coffee Pot cafe.

I didn't see much of the other staff but the gentleman who served us as dinner was ever present during our stay and even waved goodbye to us through the Hotel window as we drove off!

The only tiny gripes I had was that the TV was too small and had tinny sound, and the window
had some finger marks on it (which I happily cleaned)

To sum up: We paid a little more than we budgeted for to stay in Hunstanton as other places
were full, but I'd say that we got good value for money in the overall quality of our stay.

We liked it.

Room Tip: Choose the top floor and ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mariefranceMK
Hunstanton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Stayed at the Marine Hotel for one night. Could not have asked for a better twin room, overlooking the sea. Love Hunstanton so much that even the wasteland opposite did not upset me and I am sure would not upset anyone else when they see the sunsets. Modern shower room clean although there seemed to be some repairs being undertaken on the walls - (shower brilliant). Although a nice room very basic with regard to tea tray (did get cups and saucers rather than drinking out of mugs), no information pack which I am sure would assist residents if they were staying longer than a night. Also only had one extra pillow when there were two of us in a room. I am sure if we had asked we would have got an extra one as nothing seemed to be too much bother. We were told that if there were any problems just to get in touch, but no phone and when I used my mobile later in the evening to contact them it went into answermachine and I had to go and look for someone but they did come and sort out our problem there and then.

Bit concerned when arrived that had to go in the bar to book in, and arriving lunchtime is not the greatest time to arrive, but Rachel was very good in dealing with me and a couple before me, taking them to their room and then coming back to me and taking us up to our room, even offering to take a suitcase as we were on the top floor.

We decided to have lunch in the pub downstairs which was very good and served efficiently, lighting could be dealt with to make the pub more inviting but it was busy in any event.

We booked a table in the Steak and Stilton, which is very glam! We got our drinks quite quickly, but unfortunately was sitting for a while before our order was taken, or even the nibbles were delivered to our table. I hasten to add that they were busy and it would seem that only one person takes the orders and serves tables but once the food was served it was extremely good and at the end of the meal an apology was given to us for the delay.

We had breakfast in the bar the following morning which was very good and actually we didn't eat anything for the rest of the day which is unusual for us - they even did a good vegetarian alternative for my friend.

It does seem strange to have to go to the bar for breakfast when they have a restaurant which is not being used, but I suppose this is because they offer the breakfast to non-residents.

All in all we had a good stay and would definitely stay there again and use the restaurant. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Did not find the hotel particularly noisy but that might be because we were on the top floor. The hotel is ideally situated in the middle of town - but not disturbed by traffic or overly noisy, even though there were people sitting out on the patio outside the pub because it was a summer evening in Sunny Hunny!!!

Room Tip: We were on the top floor at the front and its three storeys - not having a lift this would not be go...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2011

A clean and well presented room with the best shower I've ever had. The pub grub down stairs isn't bad either.

• Stayed September 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunstanton
Best Western Old Hunstanton Le Strange Arms Hotel
#21 of 22 in Hunstanton
The Shellbrooke
The Shellbrooke
#9 of 22 in Hunstanton

Been to Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!