“Fab afternoon tea” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Morston Hall Restaurant

Morston Hall Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 52 Restaurants in Holt
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Somerset West, South Africa
“Fab afternoon tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

Booked to go here for a civilsed hen party - we were staying just down the road at Church Cottage (which was also wonderful) and needed an event that was suitable for the Mum's of the bride and groom! We opted for a standard afternoon tea and bought some Prosecco which worked out to be much cheaper than the champagne afternoon tea option. We had the whole conservatory to ourselves and there must of only been a couple of other tables of pairs - we couldn't understand why it was so quiet and therefore, lacking in atmosphere but that would be my only grumble. Perhaps some classical music or something would have been nice to fill the empty space. Just when we thought we had finished, they kept bringing out more bits and pieces. I've been to afternoon tea at several places around the world and genuinely felt that this was really good value for money. I would certainly recommend it and hope to be back

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

London, United Kingdom
“Amazing try this place out as soon as you can”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

My wife, Son and I went for Sunday lunch and the whole experience was absolutely outstanding. We were running slightly late and as we approached the entrance I noticed quite a few serious looking couples having pre drinks in what looked like a very formal room they all seemed quite a bit older than us. As we entered the hotel we were met by the owner Galton who I must say was a very charming man I mentioned I was a fan and had seen him on television. We were offered to take a seat in the formal looking room for drinks but I explained that my son would probably need to have his I pad on to stop him getting bored and it might annoy other dinners if he was noisy and asked if we could have our pre drinks in the hotel reception room instead, The chef said that wouldn’t be a problem. As we sat down and had our drinks he also asked if we would prefer to eat in the conservatory by ourselves so that we didn’t feel uncomfortable in front of the other dinners. We said yes and were taken to our own table away from everyone else where my son could make as much noise as he wanted without disturbing anyone and us feeling uncomfortable. We had a 4 course lunch consisting of carrot soup, North Sea hake, Aberdeen Angus and a choice of 2 desserts. My wife doesn’t eat meat and was given lobster instead which is her favourite. All the food was superb and cooked to perfection and the staff couldn’t have been more helpful this place definitely deserves a Michelin star. I didn't think it was that expensive compared to other Michelin restaurants I have eaten in. During service Galton also popped his head around the kitchen door to ask if everything was o.k. which was a really nice touch. I can’t wait to return to this place again maybe next time I’ll try and stay over for the night so I can try out the breakfast in the morning.

2 Thank Guy M
East Anglia, UK
“I expected something so much better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

I had looked forward to this meal for a very long time, and we chose a special birthday for a celebration. The setting is lovely, the service was superb, but the food was extremely disappointing. First course was a strawberry gazpacho - but the strawberry was overwhelmed by the taste of balsamic vinegar. The batter on the fish course was remarkably greasy, with far more batter than fish. Other courses were so disappointing that I chose cheese rather than dessert on the grounds that it was less likely to disappoint. And when we raised our disappointment with the restaurant, we were simply told that others eating that evening thought it was the best meal they had ever had. We have eaten at, and really enjoyed, meals at five of the top ten restaurants in the Good Food Guide - and I only say that to try and show that we do know what we are talking about. This has to be one of the most disappointing meals I've ever had in a quality restaurant. Very sad.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank davidh of england
Lincolnshire
“GREAT for morning coffeee.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

We just loved the atmosphere at Morston Hall. We have called in TWICE for morning coffee and we LOVE the conservatory.
We cant wait to go back for an evening meal.

Visited August 2013
Conwy, United Kingdom
“Seriously good Sunday lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

Beautiful location on a beautiful day! Drinks in the garden pre lunch was lovely. The set lunch menu though was just superb. Possibly the best Sunday lunch I have ever eaten, with exemplar service. I guess I am not alone in thinking this, as I understand there is at least a four week waiting list for Sunday lunch bookings at times!