“A Happy Family Lunch”

Ranked #8 of 54 Restaurants in Holt
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

A really nice atmosphere, and good food, make for an all round very pleasant place for a family lunch. A menu with a good range of God food, plus excellent home made cakes, made this a really good fit for our family's lunch stop after arriving on the Poppy Line steam train.

1  Thank FamiliaParvis

Reviewed June 25, 2014

During the last two months, when visiting Holt, we have made sure we have called into Horatio's Mugs. The owners are always very chatty and soon make one welcome, even staying late if you arrive just at closing time! Nothing is too much trouble, and their cakes are scrumptious. Large portions too! Good value and excellent hospitality. Will be back soon! From Liz - Proprietor of Sparrow's Rest, Norfolk.

4  Thank SparrowsRest
Reviewed June 17, 2014

If you want to start your day well when visiting or on Holiday Holt you must go to Horatio Mugs for Breakfast. My companions and I decided to do that today 17th June 2014 and to say we were astounded by the quality, amount of food and reasonable price would be an understement. The Full Nelson is a breakfast to keep you going all day no question and our wives had the Half Nelson which saw them through our shopping day in Holt as well. The service is bright and cheerful, the food was all well cooked and tasy and the waitress looked after us during breakfast to make sure everything was fine. The seating is comfortable and the Toilet facilites very clean. We did call back in the afternoon for refreshment at Horatio Mugs, again we all thought the cakes looked delightful but nay none of us could manage anything as the breakfast had sustained us well through the shopping day. Very highly recommended for service,quality,choice of menu and welcoming.

5  Thank JettHeacham_Norfolk
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I eat here all the time and get a variety of cakes and scones, and I must say they are the best around. How they get their scones so big baffles me but they are so scrumptious and full of flavour. Overall their cakes are out of this world . Highly recommended.

1  Thank Matthew D
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Such a shame to have to give a review like this, but it's my honest opinion of our recent visit. On arrival the cafe looked inviting. The seating was comfy and the place light and airy. The cake we had was delicious, a rare treat for me in particular. Unfortunately I couldn't enjoy it to the full because of the horrendously loud coffee machine. I know these machines do hiss, but I swear the nearby steam railway is quieter. It was impossible to talk above the noise. I am not sure if they were cleaning it, or making a drink for the only other two adults in the cafe ... either way it went on for several minutes, the whole time I was trying to savour my cake in fact.
The door to the cafe was open to let the sun in, but it also let the flies in, of which there were many. Luckily the food was all wrapped in clingfilm, so although they were annoying, at least it wasn't a hygiene issue. Unfortunately the ladies toilets were, with an open topped bin for unflushable items (yuk) and a hand basin that badly needed a clean.
To summarise, a screen on the door, and a spruce up of the loos would make the cafe much nicer.

2  Thank herewardtw