“Great Place”
Review of The Pigs

The Pigs
Ranked #1 of 27 Holt B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 15, 2014

My husband booked this for our Wedding Anniversary which happens to be Valentines Day. Upon arrival the staff were attentive and very polite, our room was room 4 ( Spa Room) and was nicely fitted out. Dual bath and sauna were lovely and the drench shower and massive bathroom was a plus too. Tea, coffee, hot chocolate were all available in the room and also marshmallows and ginger cookies were on offer outside the room to. The evening meal was nicely presented although the menu is geared more towards the traditional meat eater. Breakfast was great, the most amazing cinnamon and apple pancakes ever. Overall a lovely stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gymbatty
There are newer reviews for The Pigs

Reviewed February 14, 2014

We stayed here for dinner, bed and breakfast for one night.
We loved our room.....Sty in the Sky. HUGE bed and very comfortable room.
The service was excellent.....from ALL staff.
Couldn't fault the food. Belly pork.....yummy.
Deserts.....yummy.
Breakfast this morning.....yummy and good choice.
We will be returning.
Decent location particularly for Holt and not that far from Norwich.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed here on a Monday night in January. Very warm welcome by a lovely friendly guy shown to our room and explained where things were for the sauna and fire pit. Our Spa room was fantastic the outside bath and Sauna were excellent. The bathroom along with the drench shower were also excellect.
The bed and bedding were so comfortable that I wish I was staying longer as had a great nights sleep.
We had a lovely dinner the service was great we were well looked after, there were only 6 guest's dining while we were there.
We returned to our room and decided to light the fire pit and toast the marshmallows provided its a shame there are no garden cushion's provided to be used on the outside furniture as it was wet but maybe because its winter they think that it would not be used.
Breakfast was great wide choice to suit everyone.
The only negative thing for me was on waking making a coffee/tea in our room the fresh milk is kept in the fridge in the corridor therefore I had to venture out to get this its a good job it was quiet otherwise I would have scared the other guests with my bed hair !!
Overall my husband had a great birthday treat and we would definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed one night on a cold Thursday evening . Arrived at 4p.m check in is from 3pm shown to the room by a polite and friendly guy .. I must say all the staff were .The room was freezing not sure why when they know which rooms are booked out dont they put your heat on for you ? Decided to have a coffee in the room was shown the dresser in the hall with the fridge for the milk in . The milk was in a jug and was well a truly off ! Eweew ! Got some fresh from the bar with no prob , then went to make the coffee in the room in the bottom of the cafetiere was can only be described as an pool of rancid old water .We stayed here back in Oct 12 and the dresser in the hall had a lovely free cake for you to help yourselves and a lovely big bowl of fresh fruit this time there was none of this just four wizened satsumas !
Dinner we had a plate pie which was so salty I really wondered if the chef actually tastes any of his food ?
So left here back in Oct 12 wanting to return ... This time sadly defo not !!! Shame as the spa rooms are fun .

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ElsieEffie
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed here for one night in one of the spa rooms, it was excellent, outdoor bath which we didn't use as it was cold but the sauna was fantastic. During the summer/autumn would be lovely there sitting out on the decking with a drink n a fire going. Would stay there again, staff polite and friendly.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew D
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We had an overnight stay at the Pigs. Our room had two double beds pushed together making one enormous bed, unfortunately the eaves of the room restricted the room around the bed so that you had to bend almost double to get in or out withoug bumping your head (easily forgotten in the middle of the night). The room was cold and the heating did not come on until 6.00pm and when it did the radiators were not working effectively, perhaps they needed bleeding. The decor was nice and the bathroom large and beautiful, but with one medium sized radiator/towel rack it was too cold to enjoy.

The dinner was ok, but the breakfast disappointing. Their version of the full English is served with the same mixture of beans as we had for dinner and all on a slice of toast.

We will not be going back.

Room Tip: Choose a room without the big bed, we looked at other rooms and they seemed better.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I recently stayed at 'The Pigs' on 22/111/13. This is a pub with bespoke accommodation recently built onto the building. The rooms are simply sublime, incredible or any other great superlative you would wish to use. Each room has it"s own separate en suite shower and toilet, 42 inch Samsung built in main TV, separate Hi Fi system with headphone attachment for IPod/IPad connectivity and other thoughtful touches.as an addendum the room has a separate sauna and bath attached with your own patio and outside fire if you so wish? All very impressive.
Now the down side. The floor is wooden which makes for cold feet unless you've packed your slippers or clunk clunk if you haven't whilst you traverse around your little haven. The heating I found complicated, either red hot with door to patio open or too cold for my sock clad feet. The corridor to the rooms is also a wood floor- see above! All room doors have a Yale style lock with no outside handle, ergo when any room door is allowed to close/ slam shut irrespective of the time of day or night, you will hear it! At the end of the (echo chamber), I mean rooms corridor which connects to the main pub is a ridiculously positioned crèche/chill out lounge area for pub regulars/visitors with some chairs and sofa. This is a well intentioned idea but badly thought out. The noise of six people chatting and laughing normally as one does in a pub environment reverberated along the corridor to my room which was located the furthest away and necessitated that I increase the TV level considerably just to drown out the cackle. If I had been trying to sleep - forget it! Luckily they left around 2330hrs and I only had the door slamming to contend with. Obviously the designers/fitters of the accommodation do not regularly stay in them otherwise they would have realised the folly of their ergonomics for this layout, materials and practicality of the corridor usage and it's compatibility with the guests enjoying peace and sleeping in the superbly appointed rooms.
My 2 colleagues and I ate at the pub restaurant that evening and breakfasted the following morning. There were several issues with this as follows.
I am considered a little OCD by my colleagues but personally think I am just concerned a little more than most about hygiene? The main pub dining area is wooden floors, wooden tables, wooden food platters, you get my drift here. My main problem with the platters is that they are inherently unhygienic! Hundreds of people cut into them and they are presumably wiped over etc? Certainly not exposed to boiling hot water as this would warp the wood,they cause me concern. The food was normal pub fare, with a slight 'gastro pub,' spin to it. We ported for shoulder of lamb with vegetables shared between two. It was bland but plentiful. The pudding was marginally better but only enough custard for a child of 6 months. Overall we collectively gave the food 6 out of 10. That also went for breakfast, 6 out of 10. I had porridge, described as Gran's recipe, she needs a little practice I would say! Everything is done at this establishment with a sort of farmhouse feel or that genre. It just come across as rough or rough ish. The marmalade and other breakfast accompaniments are all placed in large jars on a generic main table which people help themselves to, allowing plenty of double dip opportunities with spoons etc, all big problems for me i am afraid. All the staff try hard and are friendly etc especially Laura the dark haired lass that welcomed us and showed us to our rooms, however the pub and restaurant let's the rooms down. This place could be 5 star and should be, but just fails in my opinion. I will return privately with my wife as the rooms and location is something else, however I will be eating elsewhere and I don't need to be up early in the morning so the door banging/ crèche area will not be so troublesome. Room cleanliness VERY GOOD, communal areas seemed sticky.

Room Tip: Room number 7, furthest away from Pub and crèche area.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank BasilFawltyTheWorld
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holt
The Pheasant Hotel
The Dales Country House Hotel
Byfords
Byfords
#3 of 27 in Holt

Been to The Pigs? Share your experiences!