“Helpful and Friendly”

The Crown Inn
Ranked #21 of 41 Restaurants in Fakenham
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Fakenham, United Kingdom
“Helpful and Friendly”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have been to this pub restaurant about seven or eight time over the last few months when visiting with friends, We have always found the landlady Denise very friendly and helpful. One of our company has an allergy problem and Denise, made copious notes and made sure the meal met her requirements. We told the waitress we didn't like the duck rare and this wasn't a problem either, unlike another well known restaurant where I was told firmly that if I didn't like the way they prepared the meal I could go elsewhere, so I did. On one visit we heard a young lady ask if she could have a portion from three different things from the desert menu again this wasn't a problem. We all thought the food was excellent and the service good. I don't know when the previous reviewers visited the Crown but it changed hands about six months ago so they may have had a bad experience with the previous owners. I have been recommending this place to friends so I hope it hasn't gone down hill. I will soon find out as I am going this weekend. I will do another review after this visit.

• Visited December 2013

Norwich, United Kingdom
“So disappointing”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We have visited The Crown many times over the years as its standard has waxed and waned.

We found the current incumbent to be unfriendly and uninterested. There was a mi-communication issue between us, one of his bar staff and him and we were very shaken by his hostile response

The food was adequate, but no better and service was similar

• Visited October 2013
5 Thank Anne P
Fakenham, United Kingdom
“Fawlty Towers Experience”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

First let me say we have been visiting The Crown for over 9 years and have seen various landlords/ladies come and go. Up to now have not had cause for complaint.
Three of us booked a table for a Tuesday evening, we had drinks in the bar with olives and bread, and ordered a main course each. We were called through to the restaurant and were a bit surprised to see we were the only diners however it was quite early. The food arrived, and it was apparent that two dishes were extremely hot and it would be some time before they cooled down. The other dish was ready to eat, so what do we do? Does one person eat immediately while the others watch or does he wait for the others and eat cold food? The waitress came and asked if everything was all right,we said we were disappointed that some of the food could not be eaten due to the extreme heat and requested a bread roll to eat while it cooled down. In the end we emptied a lasagne on to another plate( not very pretty) just to speed up the process.
We then ordered desserts and coffee. These were duly served and a short time later a very irate man appeared from the kitchen and and asked "didn't we know that food had to be served at 85 degrees" , well no we didn't, but the food we had was well over that temperature. I stress that we had not sent the food back or even made a big issue of it. What we did know was that food should not be served at a dangerously high temperature. The man was by then visibly shaking I assume with rage , he then told us we were banned from returning to the premises and bounced back to the kitchen leaving us all open mouthed in astonishment. After we recovered from the shock of our banishment we began to see the funny side, after all 2 of us are nearly 70 and the other is 91 and even he, in all his years had never been banned before! The bill came, we paid in full and left the money on the table . We were just about to go through the door when Basil (as we were now calling him) appeared and accused us of running off without paying. Now between us we have false hips and knees and the odd ankle fusion and the senior one cannot walk unaided, so the running would have been difficult. However despite the very real resemblance to an episode of Fawlty Towers anybody contemplating visiting here should consider:-
Do you really want over microwaved mediocre food, with at best indifferent service and to be insulted by a man who I assume is the landlord, who seems to think he can accuse customers of dishonesty without cause. There are far superior eating places in this part of the world, why give your money to somebody like Basil?

• Visited November 2013
8 Thank dogdaysarethebest
South Walsham, United Kingdom
“Average at best”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Average food, average service and average atmosphere. It's very difficult to say much more than that. With all the other choices in the area it's unlikely I'll go back, although if it is under new ownership (as one reviewer has mentioned) it may be worth one more try.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank Clive E
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Nice food Terrible service”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I booked a table for 9 of us for my daughters 30th birthday last weekend as we were staying in great Rhyburgh and it came highly recomended by one of the locals.
When we were seated there were 4 or 5 other small tables all either eating or waiting for food, our order was taken fairly quickly but 1 hour later we hadn't even had a starter ( If you can't cope with a large booking don't take it ! ! ) The food was really nice and believe me I am used to fine dining, it was well seasoned and nicely presented plus good sized portions. How ever the front of house really lets them down, there were two girls serving and nither really had good customer service skills, on the menu it states the duck will be cooked pink, it was very over cooked, we mentioned this to one of them and she just shrugged her shoulders.
The other thing I did'nt like was that they don't itemise the bill it is just a long list of prices so you don't have a clue what you are paying for. The food is good but thats all.

• Visited October 2013