“Very poor”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Marstons Two for One pub and restaurant
Reviewed August 30, 2014

Called into Marstons yesterday, we sat outside as we had our dog with us, my husband had the burger with bacon and cheese, and as it was buy one get one my daughter had pie and chips and i just had a pudding.

First problem there was no cutlery arrived that they was going to bring, so they had to go back once the food arrived to get some. Daughters pie was ok, but the burger came in a stale bun it was very old and dropping apart bread. He took it back and of all things they bought him the same burger out what he'd had a bite out of just in a new bun. This was now quite cold, as waiting for the cutlery then going back to be changed bun, so he had to take it back again and now say he wanted a new hot burger. This bun was better than the last one, but not still actually that good.

My pudding came with the smallest pot of custard, you just had to laugh. We was on arrival going to go back the next day for another meal as we were that way for the weekend, but after this meal we decided against it.

Would definetly not recommend.

1  Thank 57daisies

Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

Went here for a meal and will never set foot in a marstons again after 2 awful experiences! My partner and i both had steaks i ordered mine very well done my partner ordered medium rare..what we got was shocking my steak was medium and my partners was blue he didn't wish to eat it so he left it on the plate! The food was aboit luke warm and everything seemed microwaved! I'm all for cheap and cheerful but the portion size was shocking. A tiny scoop of chips and a tea spoon lot of peas! Waitress was no where to be seen we quickly paid the bill when we caught her and left. Shall mever set foot in a marstons again.

1  Thank Charmaine S
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Dropped in here en route to a weekend visit . We just wanted a coffee and a sandwich, it wasn't very busy but tables were not cleared, the waitress appeared after a time , uniform very dirty, it was only midday ! We ordered 2 cold drinks and the chicken and bacon club sandwiches on toasted white bread, what an introduction for what transpired to be thin sliced poor quality white bread , which had briefly been via a toaster (x3 slices) the bottom layer consisted of a limp texture lettuce leaf on thinly scraped mayonnaise, the second layer was 2 small thumbnail sized pieces of chicken and a sliver of bacon, this was repeated on the other half and was almost identical on my partners. We ordered a side bowl of chips these were soggy grease ladened.
The table close by appeared to be a young girl out with her family celebrating her 18th birthday, their main courses looked horrendous and 2 were sent back, with the waitresses saying at the end ' I will knock something of your bill ' considering its two for one on main meals this table of four would have likely only paid for one meal, sad to remember your 18th birthday meal like this.
We tried several times to get the waitress attention , in the end we were forced to go to the till, I advised her that I was thoroughly disgusted by the food and that it was felt acceptable to serve this to a paying customer, she was disinterested and just replied "oh right , thanks for telling me , I will let the chef know". We paid the total bill amount £16.00, as I did not want to stay there a moment longer, it was clear she had no intention of doing anything further and likely forgot about us in seconds. As for the 'chef' I have young grandchildren who could produce a better attempt with their fisher price kitchen!
I am angry that this establishment think it is acceptable to treat customers like this, they heavily advertise the 2for1 main courses, but if you seriously looked at exactly what you are getting, it is a huge expense for poor service, quality, and presentation.
As has previously been advised 'avoid this place like the plague' ! I have been forced to give 1 star as 0 star not recognised by the software.

1  Thank H7FJH
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Walking up to the entrance all of the staff were sat in the window laighing and staring at people coming in. A couple of the staff greeted each other with what can only be described as a gangland handshake. Its like going in a circus. No one takes their job professionally and they need to employ adults insread of school leavers. Also there is a high level of flirting amongst staff.

2  Thank bm0197
Reviewed August 18, 2014

My wife and I and our 6 yr old son visited this place for our first and last time. The restaurant was not busy with only three tables occupied. We arrived at 4.55pm and our drinks order was taken as we were seated. Unfortunately that was as good as it got. Our order was taken for food at 5.20pm and straight away they did not have sausages for our sons main course. Our starters turned up at 5.45pm. Two tables next to us received their main courses, despite being seated after us. One was immediately returned for the corn-on-the-cob being cold. At 6.15pm we left as the main courses had still not arrived. Even then there was still only nine tables occupied. How difficult is it to provide a mixed grill, a bbq chicken and some chicken nuggets. Strangely when I paid the bill for the starter and drinks the cashier said "Your still waiting for your main course aren't you" Suggests to me he was not too surprised and it had happened before. Even our waiter was aghast that we had waited so long. Proves he was not even watching what was going on. I complained to the manager but he wasnt too bothered. We will not be returning.

1  Thank Pinkster911