“Ridiculous”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

First thoughts of the pub were really good. Cosy, friendly and wide range of beers. Then we sat down for dinner! I ordered surf & turf skewer for starters. Consisted of 1 flake of fish, 2 pieces of chorizo and couple bits of veg £6.50! Not quite sure where the surf or turf was. I just regret not taking a picture. Main was really poor as well. No flavour and hardly a 'special'.
It was a shame we stayed for dinner. It was nice until that point. May return for drink only

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We have visited The Chequers Inn several times now whilst in Norfolk. This time we ate as well and will definitely be going back. My husband, myself and two of our children ate at the pub on Thursday night. We have always enjoyed the beer, the Binham Cheer is always excellent and is Brewed on site. My husband is a Camra member so really likes his real ales and Front street Brewery never fails to please.
The food is good pub food, it doesn't pretend to be a "Gastro Pub" it just does pub food well. They do have some more adventurous specials which all sounded good. The Goats Cheese and Roasted Veg Salad was lovely and the Steak and Front Ale Pie was really tasty. The Children enjoyed their Ham, egg and Chips and Sausage and mash, and loved the Sticky Toffee Pudding. I had a Plum Fool which I could have eaten all night, delicious!
The Landlord is really friendly and chatty, and works very hard to keep guests happy. We can thoroughly recommend this pub, and the Beer is great, as a Camra member it really is a treat to have home brewed ales and we simply cannot understand the unkind comment left by a recent guest about the beer, it really is superb.

2  Thank Sarah L
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I've been visiting the Chequers twice a year for the last three years now and each time it's been a massive disappointment.

Let's start with the brewery. The sad fact is, it can't brew a decent beer. I had thought it had been improving (the last time I was there in April the Binham ale was better than it had been) and I was looking forward to seeing how the brewery had come on when we went back last week. Sadly it had regressed back to making the watery, tasteless drink we'd suffered for the past couple of years. We tried two beers, the Swoopy and Blonde, both as bland and tasteless as each other. When there are so many really good beers brewed locally, (Yetmans, Brancaster, Woodforde, Norfolk Square etc etc) they should forget trying to make their own and support the brewers who can make a decent beer.

Second the pub itself. We popped in on a Sunday evening and found the bar lined with people all waiting to be served. It took about ten minutes to get an order in as there was only one lady behind the bar. I guess it's hard to judge how many staff might be needed at any given time (and maybe we were just unlucky).

The thing that really struck me was the lack of atmosphere: the bar was so quiet and glum was given the amount of people that were in that evening. It reminded me of those awful hotel dining rooms where no-one speaks and all you can hear is the clatter of cutlery on plates. You would expect a pub with that many customers to be full of chatter and life. This one felt like being at a wake.

It's really sad, Everything about the Chequers points to a cracking hostelry - it's the only pub in a lovely village and looks like it'll be the perfect place for a pint. But with no atmosphere, and poor beer it's disappointing.

1  Thank kahn-B-arsst
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is a small friendly pub that stands in the pretty village of Binham. This is not necessarily a foodie pub, so if you want a gastro pub experience then this is not for you. However the traditional 'pub' dishes are very,very good, good honest food that we should probably see more of. They do try to bring in some unusual dishes and the pick and mix ploughman's platter (pork pies, pickle,cheese etc)is a good example of this.
Front Street Brewery is on site, so try some of the local ale and a good selection of Belgium beers. Overall, a good, little local pub that serves great pub food and great beer. The locals provide some unique entertainment too. We should support pubs like this, there aren't many left!

1  Thank Julie C
Reviewed July 11, 2013

May i start off by saying North Norfolk is one, if not the, friendliest and dog-friendly places in the country. And this is supposed to be, is it not, a country pub? I visited at about 6 pm on a Thursday, to find a deserted pub, including bar-staff. After standing for 5 minutes along with my well behaved small dog a rather "uppish" man finally appeared with no word of welcome other than "I say we don't have dogs in here" in a very offish manner. Whilst waiting I studied the menu which seemed typically pretentious, it would seem to me these guys are catering for the second home set and not actually running a proper country pub at all. I decided to take my custom (and dog) elsewhere and found the next pub at Langham closed up and for sale - please take note Chequers Inn!!!

2  Thank Paul187048