“No change since review of sept 2011” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gissing Hall Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Diss
Gissing Hall Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Diss
lowestoft
“No change since review of sept 2011”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

Stayed in room 12 Sat 21st july 2012 and the review of Sept 2011 described it perfectly. It is without a doubt the worst room I have ever stayed in. Cleanliness does not cost much, a coat of paint and a good wipe round would help.Unfortunately I could not change rooms as the wedding party I was with had taken over the place. The website claims every room has a TV,of the guests I spoke to only 2 said there room had a TV. This website needs an overhall.
Must say the staff were very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Get married and have the bridal suite
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank johnlowestoft

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Diss, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

I stayed at Gissing Hall Hotel in December 2011 as my sister-in-law had her wedding reception there. I thought that all-in-all the hotel did a great job, we had the majority of the wedding photos taken at the hotel as it was very cold to be standing outside a chuch at that time of year adn the staff were very accommodating. We then moved into the for the meal and speeches etc. It was decorated beautifully and very well set out although it was rather cold (but that is to be expected at that time of year)! The food was served relatively quickly and the staff were all very polite and friendly, some of the people who got served last did mention that there food was cold although I did not have this problem. I suffer from Coeliac Disease (a gluten and wheat intolerence) so therefore had to have my meal altered slightly from everyone elses and be made separately. This seemed to be no trouble whatsoever for the caterers, whereas in past experiences at other places I won't be served until after everyone else or I will be served before everyone else (sometimes even given a bit of a cop-out or an entirely different meal) I was served how I should have been, at the same time as everyone else on my table, and I was given an almost identical meal to the others with just a few substitutes in the ingredients. For desert, instead of just being given ice cream which seems to be what quite a few restaurants/hotels do (the easy option), I was given a specially made apple crumble so I could have the same as everyone else but just gluten free! I was extremely impressed with the meal as a whole and nothing seemed like too much trouble for the staff. The bar staff were also very friendly and helpful, and the evening disco was brilliant too. My partner and I had a huge room with a four poster bed and a large bathroom. It was nice and fitted in well with the older style of the hotel although I think some improvements could be made. In winter it gets very cold in the rooms and the fact that we only had one tiny heater on one of the walls didn't help matters, we had the radiator turned up fully but it just wasn't enough to heat the size of the room and it was extremely cold. We also had a problem the next morning when there wasn't any hot water for the bath, however my partner did make a complaint to reception and they gave us a bit of money off our bill without a problem which was nice. Overall I think that for a wedding reception, Gissing Hall Hotel was a perfect venue and I would reccommend it, although I don't think that I would personally stay there for anything else as it is rather secluded and there isn't really anything to do at the hotel or nearby.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank FuTuReSaiLoR01
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

Travelled as a couple.

Overall the hotel is good.

Lovely building, set in nice grounds, in a very remote location. Don't come here if you're expecting local ammenities, as the closet real town in Diss about 15 minute drive away. Great to escape the city however!

The hotel is a bit hit and miss though, with some areas recently renovated and looking great (named rooms and bar) and others requiring alot of tlc. Our room was large and spacious, but the jacuzzi bath didn't work, some windows didn't shut properly and the bed was extremely creaky!

Staff are great and attentive when they're there, but again a bit hit and miss, as they tend to be absent when you need them, which can be a bit awkward.

Having said this, the price point is quite reasonable with rooms starting at £45 for a single room or £60 for a double (correct march 2012).

Breakfast is alright, although the bacon was overdone, this is probably my personal preference. My wife ordered a breakfast and the waitress simply didn't take her order? Another example of hit and miss staffing.

Overall, a nice hotel- although possibly not your thing if you are a little more picky than we are!

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Dishonoured
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

We got married here in July 2011, it was absolutely amazing. The real stand out of this place was the wedding coordinator Cheryl. She was standing in for someone on maternity leave (we had met the person she was standing in for and she did not fill us with faith) and she really was superb. She couldn't do enough for us, was efficient, fun and altogether an asset to this place. She made us feel special.

The hotel was fabulous and our bridal suite huge with an impressive bathroom, comfy bed and beautifully decorated. It is a stunning building.

Our wedding was perfect, the food was outstanding and they were more than happy to accommodate our needs. The pavolva was as hard as nails but it became a running joke so no one really minded, and it still tasted lovely. We thought the price was reasonable for the standard, the menu really is good and it was hard to narrow it down to three choices for our guests, I'm not vegetarian and even I could have eaten every single one of the 12 options we were offered (I'd like to add that 12 veggie options really is impressive).

The only reason I haven't given it the 5 stars is although the staff were friendly enough, once Cheryl left it really seemed like they couldn't be bothered with us and they even cleared our evening buffet away before it was all gone. I work in the restaurant trade and I understand that a kitchen must close at some point but leaving a little washing up for the next day is not the end of the world and our buffet really should have been left out (we did pay enough).

The reason we chose this place was because of it's country house appeal. It is impressive enough to be grand, but quirky enough that you really feel comfortable. It doesn't feel impersonal like some of the other places we visited.

I have a real place in my heart for Gissing Hall and I feel that people will complain about anything, you cannot expect perfection, especially as the cost of running these types of buildings is astronomical. You can't warrant refurbishments every five minutes. Any anyway I think to modernize it any further would take away from it's charm.

Thank you very much to Cheryl and the owners of this place for giving us such a wonderful wedding day.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carla W
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

I stayed here for a wedding at the weekend and loved every minute of it. Yes it is an old hotel, I feel some of the reviews are harsh and expecting a premier lodge interior at all hotels you stay in.

This is a country house location and you would lose the character of this beautiful old building if it didnt have its quirks and cracks.

We stayed in room 7 which was reasonably priced and large enough for our needs. The bathroom was big and clean and the bed was very comfortable.

The grounds are lovely and if you have alittle explore around the many winding staircases and nooks and crannies you will see what a charming unique house this is.

The service of the staff was impeccible and they coldn't do enough for us.

We ate in the restaurant on Friday evening and the food was gorgeous.

The actual wedding was perfect. All went extremly well and thought the wedding planner was very good.

Full cooked breakfast on both morings was tasty and set us up for the day.

I would defnitely stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: There are varying sizes and rates to suit. Ask for a list of room descriptions.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank LandM1981
Leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

My boyfriend, mum and I have just recently been to a wedding at Gissing Hall.

The location is fantastic but alot of works needs to be done both on the outside and inside. The littlle lake is green and the gardens looked unloved, it could be made very nice and beautiful.

Now to the inside, my boyfriend and I stayed in room 12, the size of the room was OK, but there was a hole in the wall behind the door, quite a few cracks in the wall, we are aware of the age of the building, but when it was £80 for a night you expect the room to be in good order. Now onto the bathroom, the bottom of the shower screen looks like it hasn't had a good clean in about six months. The windows were about falling to pieces, looks like they were rotten. Paint was also flaking off the walls, not a pretty site.

My mum was staying in room 11, my first question when I first walked into the room, was where is your bathroom? Well it wasn't a bathroom, it was a shower, toilet and sink in all that I explain was a cupboard in the corner of the room, you had to step up into aswell, it reminded me of an airing cupboard where a boiler would have been kept, this room was £60 for the night.

The prices at the bar, were expensive, which I know you expect in those sort of places, but the bar where they hold the discos, was no more than a little bar that you find in church halls.

I wouldn't go back, as the building needs too much repair and attention, alot of money needs to be spent in order to charge those sort of prices. The rooms aren't worth the money that they are charging.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank LeedsHappygolucky
Norwich, Norfolk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed in room 8 which was clean with a comfortable bed. The hotel has plenty of history with very friendly and helpful staff. The hotel in general could do with a bit of tlc. I would certainly stay again as it was quite a relaxed hotel.

• Stayed July 2011
5 Thank chrislorraine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Diss
BEST WESTERN Brome Grange Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,057 reviews
The Bell Inn
The Bell Inn
#10 of 17 in Diss

Been to Gissing Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!