“Our wedding July 2011”
Review of Gissing Hall Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Diss
Gissing Hall Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Diss
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Our wedding July 2011”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We got married here in July 2011, it was absolutely amazing. The real stand out of this place was the wedding coordinator Cheryl. She was standing in for someone on maternity leave (we had met the person she was standing in for and she did not fill us with faith) and she really was superb. She couldn't do enough for us, was efficient, fun and altogether an asset to this place. She made us feel special.

The hotel was fabulous and our bridal suite huge with an impressive bathroom, comfy bed and beautifully decorated. It is a stunning building.

Our wedding was perfect, the food was outstanding and they were more than happy to accommodate our needs. The pavolva was as hard as nails but it became a running joke so no one really minded, and it still tasted lovely. We thought the price was reasonable for the standard, the menu really is good and it was hard to narrow it down to three choices for our guests, I'm not vegetarian and even I could have eaten every single one of the 12 options we were offered (I'd like to add that 12 veggie options really is impressive).

The only reason I haven't given it the 5 stars is although the staff were friendly enough, once Cheryl left it really seemed like they couldn't be bothered with us and they even cleared our evening buffet away before it was all gone. I work in the restaurant trade and I understand that a kitchen must close at some point but leaving a little washing up for the next day is not the end of the world and our buffet really should have been left out (we did pay enough).

The reason we chose this place was because of it's country house appeal. It is impressive enough to be grand, but quirky enough that you really feel comfortable. It doesn't feel impersonal like some of the other places we visited.

I have a real place in my heart for Gissing Hall and I feel that people will complain about anything, you cannot expect perfection, especially as the cost of running these types of buildings is astronomical. You can't warrant refurbishments every five minutes. Any anyway I think to modernize it any further would take away from it's charm.

Thank you very much to Cheryl and the owners of this place for giving us such a wonderful wedding day.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carla W

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I stayed here for a wedding at the weekend and loved every minute of it. Yes it is an old hotel, I feel some of the reviews are harsh and expecting a premier lodge interior at all hotels you stay in.

This is a country house location and you would lose the character of this beautiful old building if it didnt have its quirks and cracks.

We stayed in room 7 which was reasonably priced and large enough for our needs. The bathroom was big and clean and the bed was very comfortable.

The grounds are lovely and if you have alittle explore around the many winding staircases and nooks and crannies you will see what a charming unique house this is.

The service of the staff was impeccible and they coldn't do enough for us.

We ate in the restaurant on Friday evening and the food was gorgeous.

The actual wedding was perfect. All went extremly well and thought the wedding planner was very good.

Full cooked breakfast on both morings was tasty and set us up for the day.

I would defnitely stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: There are varying sizes and rates to suit. Ask for a list of room descriptions.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank LandM1981
Leeds
Reviewed September 25, 2011

My boyfriend, mum and I have just recently been to a wedding at Gissing Hall.

The location is fantastic but alot of works needs to be done both on the outside and inside. The littlle lake is green and the gardens looked unloved, it could be made very nice and beautiful.

Now to the inside, my boyfriend and I stayed in room 12, the size of the room was OK, but there was a hole in the wall behind the door, quite a few cracks in the wall, we are aware of the age of the building, but when it was £80 for a night you expect the room to be in good order. Now onto the bathroom, the bottom of the shower screen looks like it hasn't had a good clean in about six months. The windows were about falling to pieces, looks like they were rotten. Paint was also flaking off the walls, not a pretty site.

My mum was staying in room 11, my first question when I first walked into the room, was where is your bathroom? Well it wasn't a bathroom, it was a shower, toilet and sink in all that I explain was a cupboard in the corner of the room, you had to step up into aswell, it reminded me of an airing cupboard where a boiler would have been kept, this room was £60 for the night.

The prices at the bar, were expensive, which I know you expect in those sort of places, but the bar where they hold the discos, was no more than a little bar that you find in church halls.

I wouldn't go back, as the building needs too much repair and attention, alot of money needs to be spent in order to charge those sort of prices. The rooms aren't worth the money that they are charging.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank LeedsHappygolucky
Norwich, Norfolk
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed in room 8 which was clean with a comfortable bed. The hotel has plenty of history with very friendly and helpful staff. The hotel in general could do with a bit of tlc. I would certainly stay again as it was quite a relaxed hotel.

• Stayed July 2011
5 Thank chrislorraine
New York
Reviewed June 22, 2011

We were getting married at nearby Yaxley Hall and had a bunch of people who were flying in from overseas for the occasion. We chose Gissing Hall for a few reasons - the proximity to our venue, the size was perfect for our group, and it had so much English Countryside Charm - it would be a nice experience for our guests from around the world. It also has a ballroom that served as an ideal place to have our Rehearsal Dinner the night before our wedding. When we first visited the hotel, we were shown each and every room – how many hotels would do that for you before booking?? Cheryl and Pat could not have been more helpful with our plans leading up to and during the days we stayed there. The rooms were as advertised; it is an old historic home, you can’t expect everything to be modern - it would take away from the charm. We filled every room and did not have any complaints from anyone – in fact we had people in shock with how nice everything was. We personally stayed in the Honeymoon Suite (Juliet) and it was STUNNING. The Rehearsal Dinner was catered by Gissing Hall and everyone loved the food and the service. Cheryl was working that evening and we had originally agreed that the dinner would end at 11pm but even when the guests hung around (they were all having a great time!) Cheryl stayed on to make sure we were all ok. What incredible service! All of our guests took advantage of the cooked breakfast as well, and we had several comments on how delicious and great the selection was. We live in New York and have pretty high expectations especially when it comes to hosting friends and family and I have to say - Gissing did not disappoint at all. Everything was well managed; the staff was so helpful with all of our requests and concerns. They put us all at ease and we all had a lovely lovely stay! Thank you Cheryl and Pat!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank apc829
york
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Just attended a wedding here and was not impressed. Not a bad setting. Rooms need renovating ,grubby and lots cobwebs. Not cleaning very well. Main wedding meal was ok but the bacon sandwiches on the nightime consisted of a White nap with one slice of heated up bacon.
Breakfast was very basic and you had to insert your own tea bags into a cup then find somewhere to discard it. Also only 2 people serving which caused items to run out
O

• Stayed May 2011
7 Thank grumpyYork

Travelers are raving about these Diss hotels

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2011

The rooms are all cold - throughout the hotel. Requests to turn on the heating were ignored. Our room was dirty. The bar looked like a youth hostel and the restaurant is very grim. The outside patio are is very untidy. Unbelievable that this place tries to host weddings! I normally wouldn't write a review but I felt tricked into going to this place by the glowing positive reviews that bear no resemblance to the reality. If only the writers of those reviews spent more time on addressing the issues, this building may meet its full potential

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MHJ22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Diss
Scole Inn
#10 of 16 in Diss
Strenneth
Strenneth
#1 of 1 in Fersfield

Been to Gissing Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!