“Luck of the draw”

Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Diss, United Kingdom
“Luck of the draw”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Have been to The Chequers twice in the last month. The first time the food was out of this word, the all male waiting staff excellent, a great evening had by all, my husband made a point of telling the manager. Second time was like being in a different restraurant, had to wait 3/4 of an hour for our food, my steak had to go back as it was not med. rare but well done my husbands duck was barely pink which he had asked for and the couple with us said their meal was o.k. will go again as the first meal was so good, but if not up to the first time it will be the last.

1 Thank Gwenny53

“Very Average”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We were keen to try the chequers as it is under new management and close to home so were hoping it would tick all boxes for us. Unfortunately we had a very average meal. Nothing in particular wrong with the food but equally nothing special. Drinks are also limited with only a couple of beers on tap and a small wine list with no description. Disappointing.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Littlefoodies
“The tastiest steak”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We had dined at the Cheques before the devastating fire and had always enjoyed the food and atmosphere. We recently enjoyed a superb meal, the sirloin steak being the best tasting I have had in a restaurant for some time. The chunky chips were also delicious, but serving only one mushroom was a little surprising. The service was good and the food hot. The steak knives were surplus as the steak was so tender. We had Eton Mess and Goosberry fool for desert, and both were excellent. The restaurant has lost most of it's olde worlde character and now looks quite clinical and modern, so has lost some of the atmosphere. But I'm sure with a good group of friends you can make your own, especially with the excellent food.

Norwich, United Kingdom
“Excellent we will return”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We have just returned from eating an excellent meal at the Chequers.
We were met with a warm welcome and shown to our table. The food quickly arrived piping hot and I couldn't wait to tuck into my roasted red pepper with pine nut stuffing served with sweet potato wedges I was not disappointed it was delicious. My husband chose the lemon and honey marinated chicken supreme and was equally impressed. We thought it couldn't get any better and decided to have our desserts in the secluded garden, we tried the raspberry eaton mess and the vanilla pannacota tasting each others we savoured every mouth full! with drinks the bill was just over forty pounds well worth every penny. We will be back thank you.

1 Thank Julie B
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
“Lacks communication”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I telephoned on Tuesday and left a voicemail with a booking request and a contact number. I repeated this on the Wednesday. With no repsonse I double checked the number with BT. It was correct so I used that website to send an e-mail. This is now Sunday and still no response. Are they closed?

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank cshale
MFHeavey, Director at The Chequers Inn, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
The final question - is it closed is answered - at that time - YES - the unit had been closed for about 2 months before the contact was initiated. It remained closed (and therefore incomunicado) until the middle of August when Tony and Stephanie Heavey reopened it.

The person who posted this review obviousy thought of it as the place to go for a special occasion rather than regularly - but Tony and Stephanie would like you consider it as both - with a family operated front of house (and a warm welcome to all).

Obviously there was some slippage in standards and ambience towards the end of the previous operation - there is none now. We would like your views after your visit. Come and meet Tony and Stephanie - and the telephone is operational.