“Disappointing meal at The Half Moon Pub, Rushall”
Review of The Half Moon Inn

The Half Moon Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Diss
The Half Moon Inn
Ranked #13 of 15 Diss B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My partner and I recently went to the Half Moon for dinner, hoping for a quiet romantic meal where we could have a good chat over some good food and wine.

However, the place was packed, and the table layout was appalling - all far too close together. We were put in an awful lobby space with no character and were silent the whole meal due to people sitting so closely to us. No privacy!

Also far too close to the kitchen - we could hear the staff shouting orders to one another and rushing past our table.

Food was OK - nothing special. Disappointed with the lack of good vegetarian meals - no salads!!

It was such a shame...

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank eferg93
There are newer reviews for The Half Moon Inn

Reviewed January 9, 2014

The menu is pub grub from the 1960's. Plates full of chips and salad with the meat or whatever hard to find under the pile. No refined dining here and the choice on the menu is quite extensive but very little home cooked. Lots of frozen food deep fried or microwaved.
Have been twice recently and disappointed both times. The owner did not make any attempt to greet us or enquire if we had enjoyed our meals despite not being very busy. One of the staff was positively rude when serving our coffee so we will not be going back again. The menu and attitude needs to come in to the 21st century!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Valerie B
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Our family booked my and I in for Anniversary dinner, asking for a small table for two preferibly in a corner, yes all booked was the reply.
We made our visit, only to be told there was only one table availible for us, This was a table in a small room within the receptionarea, where we had no privacy, 1 yard away we had to listern to staff of three talking about everyones issues and also talking about customers.
The place was far from clean and the staff were unhelpful.
The food was pre-perpared and heated in the micro oven .
I would advise anyone considering this place to think again, am sure there are much better places in the area.

Room Tip: Do not dress in best clothes, if you decide to take a chance.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 503EnglishTraveller
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have stayed at The Half Moon twice and as the price went, the chalet accommodation was nothing fancy, but clean, with the option of clean towels every day.

The food was amazing and having breakfast and dinner there, lunch was not a meal I had at all during my stays! A great choice but huge portions. Perhaps a little less and then customers would be encouraged to have a starter and/or a pudding. Brilliant home made pate, steaks cooked perfectly to order, and the most wonderful puddings - I can recommend the crumbles.

For a pub, it is quite quiet too and once closed the place is nigh on silent. Enough in the country but close enough to main roads to all the major places of interest.

I am so glad it is still going strong.

Anyway, better late than never.

PS: I have selected the earliest date but my stays were way before that.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank LadyHGG
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Really enjoyed our meal-plenty of vegetables cooked perfectly with our Sunday lunch today. Staff most pleasant and helpful especially as we 3 arrived to an almost full house and without booking and were warmly welcomed. Well done Debbie for an excellent hostelry!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Eloise1512
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Lovely Warm Friendly staff, Fabulous Food,Large generous portions of good ole traditional pub grub.
Stayed in one of there chalets style rooms, lovely and warm, nice and cosy. No wifi in rooms but managed to get good internet access in pub whilst enjoying large glass of wine,by a lovely log fire.
Would highly recommend, looking forward to returning again soon.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank daisy958
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We only stayed one night in the Half Moon we were recommended to go there because of the food, which is good if you like massive portions of typical pub food so I guess no complaints there.But at breakfast they had run out of eggs....... BUT it is the rooms that let them down badly we were in the outbuildings which are converted from a barn and it was FREEZING in April! I don't know how they could have passed building regs as I don't think they have any insulation whatsoever. Bit like sleeping in your shed.The room felt damp and unwelcoming, the decor is shabby and the shower door had broken glass in one panel. Needless to say I shan't be visiting again BUT if you are looking for a hearty meal with no airs and graces do give it a go.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple