“lovely hotel, but a 4 star??”

Redworth Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Redworth
Reviewed December 26, 2013

the outside of the hotel is grand indeed - you think you're entering something special... sadly the decor inside is past it's best and has seen better days.

however, the gym is spot on - as is the pool and sauna areas :)

we looked on the food menu (online) and noticed they had a 'Game on winter dining menu' - yum...I was looking forward to the game pie...but sadly when we went to the restaurant / bar - all that was on offer was chicken and chips, burgers and pizza...
we settled for the cheesey nachos, chips, pizza and a pint each - at a staggering 32 quid in the bar... :(

breakfast was ok - tho, I had to ask for some more eggs and the bacon looked as tho it had been standing there since the breakfast had first opened several hours earlier...

I rate this hotel a 3.5...

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alan157
John O, General Manager at Redworth Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us at Redworth. I am sorry that your visit was not the most enjoyable, but thank you for your many positive comments.
Regards

Reviewed December 20, 2013

I have not stayed at this hotel but 4 of us went for a bar meal earlier in December. We were expecting good things as we drove up to the beautiful exterior of this hotel. On entering the bar it was very cold as an outer door was open to let in a bar delivery, we were frozen. The automated piano became a source of irritation rather than entertainment. The food was disappointing and we thought overpriced. It was also served on cold plates. On the plus side the barman was very pleasant and attentive. All in all the experience was disappointing and we won't be returning.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Do contact me directly I would be delighted to discuss your comments personally
Kindest regards

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Was bought a spa treat for my birthday from by best friend which included a stay over with evening meal full body massage and breakfast the following morning, plus another treatment that morning. The hotel was beautiful, the rooms were very nice, clean and warm. Plenty of hot water which was brilliant. The evening meal was beautiful and the service excellent.
The spa treatments and service again fantastic and the use of the pool and steam room, sauna and jacuzzi was wonderful, overall the stay was just fantastic, we have planned to go back same time again next year for a two day break.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jan L

I am pleased that your stay was so enjoyable. Also thank you for your kind comments with regard to quality. We hope to see you next year.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

The outside of the Hotel is quite beautiful unfortunately the inside is very dated, the rooms were small and compact we stayed in one the spa rooms def wasn't worth paying the upgrade costs.
The bed was very comfy and we had a good sleep. I felt sorry for all of the old couples and young families as it was very noisy. The room was dirty it needed a good clean, stayed for the spa the following day and that was dated but very relaxing

Room Tip: Don't bother upgrading your room it really isn't worth the cost
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank gailb475

Do contact me directly I would be delighted to discuss your comments personally
Kindest regards

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Stayed here for one night for a business trip last week. Hotel buildings and grounds are beautiful and the grounds were immaculately groomed.
Interior of the hotel is fine - dated, dark decor but clean and not shabby. Hotel bar is pretty dire and definitely not anywhere you'd want to spend time - a bit depressing actually, but imagine if you had an event or something here with lots of people it would be fine.
Breakfast was OK - standard fare for English hotels (everything kept warm under lights, cheap sausages...)
Rooms were fine - again, very dark and insufficient lighting really, but clean and not shabby. Bathroom was good, although the shower pressure meant the large shower head was wasted.
Swimming pool and jacuzzi were great, and very clean. Didn't use the gym but it was quite large and lots of people in there - possibly locals?
Overall fine for business - but I'd definitely not stay here for pleasure because it felt slightly tired and dark.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

We can not have you disappointed with us, I would appreciate if you would contact me directly for a future visit..
Regards

Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

My Husband booked a 3 night stay at Redworth Hall (8th-11th Dec) for a surprise for my 30th Birthday (which was the 8th) On arrival, I was so excited when I realised where we were. The hotel looks lovely driving in and the grounds are very well kept. Check in was efficient, however the girl on reception sent us the long way round to our room & I was on crutches. My Husband had requested we were near a lift, which we ended up being next door too, but the way the girl told us, we used a lift miles away from our room! We just laughed & found an easier route. My Husband had upgraded to a Deluxe Spa room & on entering we were both really impressed. Lovely huge bed, gowns & slippers, a gorgeous bathroom with jacuzzi bath & a bottle of sparkling wine on ice! We had dinner reservations the same evening and it was lovely. People are saying about the portion sizes, the starters were very small but main & desserts were fine. We paid for a bottle of wine as the wine on the package was in out room on arrival. After a lovely sleep we went down for breakfast & there was plenty of choice. I had booked in for a massage later that day and this was lovely. The pool area was lovely however not really relaxing as can get quite noisy but this didn't bother us as we had a nicer room to relax in. On the Tuesday, my husband has booked after tea and we had this in the bar. Very peaceful until we were told they were doing a fire alarm testing & would need to leave the hotel and make our way to the front. We did this but found it to be a bit of a shambles, no one seemed to know what they were doing & some staff were saying they didn't want to speak through the hand held tannoy. It was December & very cold! Within 10 mins we could go back in & offered complimentary tea or coffee which was welcome. We had breakfast to our room 2 mornings & found there to be a good choice & very efficient. I did feel after how much my husband had spent on this break and informing the hotel prior, that it was my birthday, that it could have maybe been recognised with a little something? But this didn't spoil it, just thought would have been a nice touch. On check out, my husband had a carry on with bill as they said we owed 80 odd pounds. We didn't we only owed for the 2 rom service charges. They tried to charge us for wine in restaurant, which we paid cash for, then the room upgrade. Which my husband paid for online when booking, then lunch on our arrival date, which we didn't have. They swiftly removed the charges as soon as he said he could show them confirmations and all he got was a 'sorry'. We did have a fantastic stay and because I am unwell at present, this was designed to be a relaxing break for me, and it certainly was. The little gripes did not spoil it, it would just have made it 5 out of 5.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments and a belated happy birthday. I am pleased your visit was a good one. I am sorry over the mix up in charges, this can be very annoying.
Thank you again for taking the time to feed back to us at the hotel.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Nice location lovely grounds. Service and setting in the restaurant very poor, altho' food was very nice.Bar staff were great as were front of house but one or two team members in the restaurant were a big let down, service was terrible, slow, inexperienced and inattentive and the tables were not set for dinner. Brown formica type tables and no cloths! BUT as I said the food was very nice,wine was a bit pricey.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I am sorry that you found the service in the restaurant lacking, I have refered your review to my restaurant manager. I do know he will be disapointed as he does work hard to deliver good service to our diners. I was pleased that you really enjoyed the quality of food.
Our tables are natural wood as is the fashion for modern dining. We do however cloth the tables in the restaurant on a Friday and Saturday night.
Thank you for your feedback.
regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Redworth
Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
Hardwick Hall Hotel
Hardwick Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sedgefield
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham

Been to Redworth Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!