“could do better”

Redworth Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Redworth
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Nice location lovely grounds. Service and setting in the restaurant very poor, altho' food was very nice.Bar staff were great as were front of house but one or two team members in the restaurant were a big let down, service was terrible, slow, inexperienced and inattentive and the tables were not set for dinner. Brown formica type tables and no cloths! BUT as I said the food was very nice,wine was a bit pricey.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
John O, General Manager at Redworth Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

I am sorry that you found the service in the restaurant lacking, I have refered your review to my restaurant manager. I do know he will be disapointed as he does work hard to deliver good service to our diners. I was pleased that you really enjoyed the quality of food.
Our tables are natural wood as is the fashion for modern dining. We do however cloth the tables in the restaurant on a Friday and Saturday night.
Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

My first experience at this hotel was the worst I have ever had anywhere. The bar staff sold the dunked locals far too much alcohol and they became violent and unfortunately I was smashed around the face with a pint glass and rushed to hospital. The food was terrible and the staff were very rude and seemed more interested in getting the night over and done with than making the night enjoyable for its paying customers. My second experience was when I went to use there gym facility and they sat me down and told me I had a months trial which I thought was fair. I then proceeded to use the gym and found it was very poor and was not in a category I would call gym. I gave them £15 on the day and never returned,3 months later I received a bill for £255 to my dismay. I have tried explaining that I was told I had a months trail but they just want the money and that's that. They have a pool with no life guard present at all for young children and as you drive into the grounds there speed bumps are not marked up and you can barely see them so take care If you have an expensive car as it will damage your wheels /suspension. So my advise would be to stay clear especially if you have small children or a family or you are thinking about taking your partner for something to eat.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Cdockerty
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Stayed one night on a living social deal £99 for 3 course dinner, bottle of wine, bed and breakfast with a late check out as a relaxing treat for my husbands 50th birthday. The drive and grounds up to the hotel are lovely. We had a very welcoming arrival and allocated our room before check in time. The room and bathroom was lovely and warm also very clean. Crisp white bedding and fluffy white towels. Toiletries provided in the bathroom and a selection of tea and coffee in the bedroom. We stayed in room 224 which was near to the leisure centre.
After check in we went for a walk around the grounds. There's a park for the kids and crazy golf too! We then went for a drive through to Darlington for a couple of hours before returning back to the hotel to make use of the leisure facilities. The pool was a bit cold but soon warm up once you start doing a few lengths. The jacuzzi was wonderful, very relaxing as was the sauna and steam room.
Later in the evening we went into the restaurant for our meal and wine which was lovely although could have done with a bit more food. There was quite a few people in the restaurant but it wasn't full. There was back ground music playing and a couple on another table complained about it and asked for it to be turned off which the waiter did immediately. I was a bit miffed about that as no one else was consulted as to if the music should be on or off or just turned down a little bit even though it was on a low volume.
After our meal we went into the bar for a few drinks and I was very surprised that for a hotel the bar prices were very reasonable. The bar area was only small but comfortable, relaxing and friendly.
Next morning we went for breakfast and helped ourselves to cereal, fruit, toast, juice and coffee before we had a full English which set us up for the day. Afterwards we went for a walk before returning to use the leisure facilities again before we checked out.
We had a lovely stay at Redworth Hall Hotel where we were made to feel very welcome and the staff were all very nice.
We would definitely stay there again :)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind and helpful comments. I am delighted we looked after you during your stay and that we will see you at Redworth again in the future.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

We were upgraded to a bigger room (412) even though we had booked a last minute deal to rival the one seen on Travelzoo. The team couldnt do enough for us and the food and wine in the inclusive package was good value. We slept well in a comfortable bed and then had a lovely breakfast - and it wasnt too busy even though the hotel was clearly busy.
Great grounds for a stroll and check out was efficient even though there was a queue.
I'd happily stay again - especially on the bed, breakfast and evening meal with wine deal.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We always appreciate kind comments about the team; I am delighted you found the service and food very good.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at Redworth Hall for a wedding. The staff at the hotel are fantastic, but the rooms are a bit tired and need up dating. We had a room with a Jacuzzi but the water pressure was very poor and some of the jets had no covers over them. The shower just trickled, and the maids office was just next door and at 07.20 when they started work you could hear them talking and doors banging so could not even have a lie in. Give room 19 a miss. The breakfast was very nice with a good selection of fruits, cereals, breads and hot food.

Room Tip: Don't have room 19
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you from all the team, wonderful feedback on the staff makes it all worthwhile.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

I've been to a few "Hall" type hotels and this is one of the better ones. It has a beautifu Ye Olde facade, but behind that is a spacious renovated hotel with a health club, lounges and bars and a swimming pool.

We used a Groupon deal for Dinner, one night in a deluxe room and breakfast. The meals were very nice, especially dinner.

Breakfast as in most hotels, is an over cooked spread of bacon sausage eggs etc. which you eat and then regret it when it settles in your stomach.

Our room was well appointed with a huge comfy bed. In the bathroom there was a jacuzzi bath but it didn't work.

All the staff were very friendly but without being too familiar. Their North East accents were not too strong, so their tone of voice was just right.

All in all our stay was very good, and I'd recommend it.

PS: Non of these problems were an issue to me, but if you're the hotel reading this it's useful feedback:

1) How do you work the bedroom lights? - we dimmed them as much as they went but couldn't turn them off.
2) How do you work the shower? It's too complicated with odd controls and jets going in all directions.
3) They need more direction signs in the corridors, as the hotel is a warren of passageways.

1  Thank andmk1

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us at Redworth, I am pleased you had a good stay and thank you for the helpful tips.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

We paid £185 for a superior room for two nights with dinner on the first night and a bottle of wine, and afternoon tea on the second day. The price included breakfast both mornings. This was a deal through a voucher website. We didn't feel as if the service we received from the staff was any different to other guests.

We were celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary and my husband had arranged for a bouquet of flowers to be in our room on arrival. My father had also arranged a surprise bottle of champagne which was unfortunately left without a card, so we had no clue who it was from until my father asked if we'd had it... small oversight there... we were ready to thank the hotel!

On arrive Hannah was lovely and very informative. The complex is a bit of a maze and the room numbering makes little sense, with our room 611 being on the fourth floor! The room was nicely decorated. Others have complained they couldn't work the lights or shower. This made me laugh; just have a fiddle, it's pretty easy!

The food in the restaurant was really nice. The staff were very attentive and even wished us a happy anniversary. We received a plate with strawberries as a little 'gift' too.

The good things:
* Staff were all very helpful and friendly. Hannah and Mary on reception deserve a special mention.
* The food was nice. The selection at breakfast was particularly good, although the beans were very stodgy for some reason.
* The room was nicely furnished and finished to a good standard. Others have complained about their rooms but didn't say anything at the time...why? It can't have upset you too much.

Small things that could be improved:
* Afternoon tea - didn't come with a choice of tea! There were two choices; tea or coffee. I've never had an afternoon tea where I wasn't offered a nice selection of different teas.
* Whilst we were having afternoon tea in a quiet, cosy room (The Blue Room) one of the managers decided to storm in and hold a meeting with two prospective business clients. They spent twenty minutes loudly talking about buffets, DJs and raffle tables. Do the staff not have offices? It really ruined the atmosphere.
* Table cloths in the restaurant - my dinner plate kept trying to escape because there weren't any tableclothes or place mats.

Overall we had a relaxing two night stay. I would urge anyone who is disappointed with the food or their room to contact reception who really will go out of their way to help you. I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary and thank you for a constructive and helpful review.
regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Redworth
Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in West Auckland
Hardwick Hall Hotel
Hardwick Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sedgefield

Been to Redworth Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!