“This hotel was somewhat over sold by Puma Hotels”

Redworth Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Redworth
Southend on Sea
“This hotel was somewhat over sold by Puma Hotels”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I love the North East of England and was looking forward to a relaxing couple of nights after a stressful few weeks. When booking I was offered the chance of paying a 'one off' membership fee to the Leisure Breaks club which would give me certain upgrades and benefits including a deluxe spa room which was billed as larger and having better facilities. Normally I don't go for this sort of marketing but on this occasion my guard was down and I fell for it. The room was clean and comfortable but certainly not special (it had a shower with half a dozen jets that couldn't be angled anywhere useful). If it was larger their other rooms then I wouldn't like to try and swing a cat in a standard room. In London I would just about accept a room this small but not in a rural hotel in acres and acres of parkland. I even rang down to check that we were in the correct room as our promised spa robes were not there as promised. It took two phone calls and about four hours to get them so that we could go for a swim. The pool was a good temperature but tired looking and the sauna was out of order and apparently had been for some time. The spa treatment prices seemed high compared to what I pay at my local spa and given the overall level of service we decided not to risk being disappointed and wasting our money.

Our deal included dinner on the first night, the service wasn't too bad but it was all a bit pretentious without substance. The staff were friendly if a little robotic, just kept repeating the same phrases like 'not a problem' after every sentence. It felt like they were on autopilot rather than really being genuinely engaging. Then they come over to ask if we were happy with our meal and just brutally interrupted our conversation to fire the question at us. Then we listened as they parroted the same few phrases to every other table in the vicinity.
The food was a little odd too. The starter was a great dollop of fish pate with a tiny triangle of toast so that after one bite we had a plate full of fish with nothing else to give it some texture. A creme brûlée for dessert that was way to big and tepid with more of a skin than a crispy top with no flavour what so ever. I would rather have a simple dish done well any day, but that's a matter of taste I guess.
Breakfast was ok, plenty of choice but again some of the cooked items, eggs in particular were a bit past their best and the sausages tasted cheap.

This hotel is in a beautiful setting and could have so much more going for it with a bit of thought. My impressions were that a beautiful shell had been filled with a mediocre corporate approach. The travel inn style accommodation blocks tucked behind the beautiful historic house were disappointing and could have been so much more I keeping. I have stayed in similar priced hotels with a much more personal and luxurious feel and next time I am up that way I will be going else where for that little something special.

My biggest gripe however is that as normal we preauthorised our bank card on arrival and paid he bill on departure but as yet, more than a week after checking out the £300 preauthorised and held amount has not been released back to the bank. The hotel have been made aware of this and said that they would refund it immediately, that was 5 days ago and we are still waiting. This really is not good enough. It is pretty cheeky to dip into a customers bank account for more than the cost of the stay but then to hold onto that and take full payment again means that we won't be staying a a Puma hotel again anywhere. This has never happened at any other hotel and means we now have to chase around to sort it out which detracts from the whole relaxing break concept quite considerably.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Subshell
Graham T, Manager at Redworth Hall Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Guest.

Thanks for takimng the time and trouble in posting a review. I am very sorry that you have had a negative impression of the hotel. That is not waht we are here to do.

I believe that there may hove been some correspondance already between us via another medium , if not could you please contact redworthhall.operationsmgr@pumahotels.co.uk to discuss.

Grateful Thanks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
Prestatyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

The hotel itself is beautiful but please unless you are deaf do not accept room 12. There are two units below the room window which hum all day and all night long. You are also above the kitchen and they are always tipping out bottles into a skip and this is very noisy. Apart from that, we had a lovely stay. The staff are all lovely and helpful. The food was very good and lots of it. The grounds are well kept but the childrens play area was closed off although this did not affect us. We filled in the hotel's own review pointing out the problem with room 12, I surgested they put in secondery glazing which would eliviate this problem. We paid extra for an up-grade and was given this room. The hotel MUST know of this problem and I feel that we should not have been given this room. The room itself is lovely but it is the lack of sleep that you get with this room. I would still visit this hotel again but would make sure I was away from those units. If it wasn't for this room the rating would have been five.

Room Tip: Not room 12
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dera Guest,

Thanks very much for a generally positive review. I was particularly pleased to read your comments about the staff and the quality of the food.

I'm sorry that you found your room to be so noisy. It is an old building which has been extended many times in the past, and the plant and equipment are distributed around the hotel. As the hotel is developed in the future we will look at improving the siting of such equipment.

I do hope that we can be of service to you again in the future
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013

One night Secret Escape break, this is NOT a 'hand-picked luxury hotel'. Allocated a room in the old part of the building, 3 flights of stairs and no lift. Room was small, but decorated nicely and had a lovely view of the grounds to the front of the hotel. Large spa bath, that didn't work.
We had pre-booked a table for dinner that proved to be a good move, as we were informed at check in that there were only tables left from 9pm onwards. Only one member of staff at reception, so check in took about 15 minutes.
When we arrived for dinner our room number was checked off on a main sheet and then again against another set of room numbers at the bottom of the page, we were then taken to a side room off the main dining area, that was empty. Was this area reserved for Secret Escape guests, as per previous reviews, who knows? We like good food and this was most certainly not well prepared, professionally presented or of a good quality. We were informed by the chef that the hotel is very busy with Secret Escape deals and that the kitchen couldn't cope with the numbers and an average meal was the best we could expect! Breakfast was just as disappointing, tinned fruit, poor quality bacon, sausages etc, not good at all.
Despite the deal for 1 night DDB costing less than a good meal and night out, we didn't feel it was value for money and wouldn't recommend to friends.
The management need to review their policy of filling up rooms v. service and quality.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AnneDave1
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Booked for our anniversary, the drive-way up to the Hall, amazing, gardens and building beautiful. Staff very friendly but OMG!! the room we had was terrible, what a big let down. Old and smelly, just like an old peoples home (a bad one that is). Not sure if it was mould you could smell or stale pee!! Rang reception for room change, she said she'd get back to us. Sat for a while but the smell was so bad we went down to the reception. I have to say they didn't make a fuss at all and gave us a new room. This one had been refurbished and was 100% better. I would go back again but make sure we're in a refurbished room. Food was fab especially breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pizzof
Egremont, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We were allocated to Room 2, the room was of good size but what let it down was the batthroom which was not ventilated, so there was mold/mildue all over the window, you could not open the window as 10 layers of paint had jammed it closed. The pillows on the bed had seen better times and did very little to give you a good nights sleep. They really need to spend some money on this part of the hotel to bring it up to 4* standard. On a good point the hotel food and the staff were of a very good standard and we enjoyed the stay in the hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 118Sandy118
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Myself and 2 girl friends arrived at Redworth Hall with high expectations. We were booked into room 404, a family room, which I admit was a great size. A 4 poster bed plus 2 single beds and a small couch. I was immediately drawn to the state of the carpet. To say it was badly worn and stained was an understatement. Whilst I appreciate the hotel is not a modern boutique hotel, there is no excuse for badly stained carpets and a carpet worn down to the thread. There was a piece of carpet completely missing and a chest of draws had been positioned to cover this up. It was just not acceptable. The bathroom was tired and in need of modernisation.
We went straight down to the Spa and despite being busy, I have no complaints.
Our evening meal was delicious and I have no complaints with this.
The following morning however we went down for breakfast and had to queue for approximately 20 minutes before being allocated a table. There were lots of empty tables which just hadn’t been cleared and reset. Obviously not enough staff working. When we were eventually seated, we ordered 3 cups of tea. The tea did not arrive until we had finished our breakfast, almost 30 minutes later. The waitress could only apologise but said “at least you’ve got it eventually”.
When we checked out of our room we told the receptionist how disappointed we were with the state of the carpet in the room. She told us the hotel was being refurbished and the rooms were either magnificent or were in a poor condition.
I also found the staff in the Health Club were not particularly helpful and were not very attentive.
A lot of money for an old fashioned, worn out hotel. If I did visit again, I would definitely request a room which had been recently refurbished.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank rscrim
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a weekend break in July on a secret escape. We upgraded to a spa room when we got there which was a fantastic move. We were in the attic new build part with skylights which we were able to leave open all night and we weren't overlooked. Spa bath was ace, used it a couple of times during my stay. 3 course meal was included with the deal with a bottle of wine, this was superb, really nice meal and breakfast was lovely too. Not sure what happened with other people but we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return and recommend. Short drive to Durham for a day out also and late check out was a nice touch. (Pics added)

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank nellie92001
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redworth
Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
Rockliffe Hall
Rockliffe Hall
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees
Park Head Country Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Redworth Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!