“Nice hotel but very noisy in room 1”

Redworth Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Redworth
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband & I booked into the hotel on Saturday 24th August & was showed into bedroom number 1. We had a lovely afternoon using the leisure facilities & enjoyed a nice meal in the restaurant. When we retired to our room after 10pm & the noise from the function room below was so loud. We also had the problem of the noise of the door from the landing to the corridor slamming shut which did with such force it made our bedroom door bang & the room shake. After putting up with the noise for a few hours & asking two members of staff to wedge the corridor door open to stop the banging. I had to get dressed to go down to reception to see if they could move us to another room. Unfortunately the hotel was funny booked therefore they weren't able to move us & I was so tempted to check out & drive home just so I could have a much needed good night sleep. When I suggested that they don't book room 1 out when there is a function on & the person on reception said "normally we give room 1 to one of the guests attending the function & they were surprised it was given to us ". This confirmed to me that the hotel knew there was a issue with noise. We were very disappointed as we don't get to have a night away together very often as we have a disabled.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't stay in room 1
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nicola S
Write a ReviewReviews (3,400)

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We had an awful stay at this hotel. We were told that dinner was a set menu at £25 for 3 courses by several members of staff. There were no prices on the menu but when our bill for 3 came it was £120!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank redworthreview
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Upon arrival at the hotel we were not directed to our room which we found difficult to find due to the numerous levels and flights of stairs. We had pre paid for our three course dinner which included s bottle of wine. When we arrived at the restaurant we were seated and a drinks order taken. We then ordered our starters, which arrived around 10 minutes later, after finishing these we still had not received our drinks. We enquired as to where the drinks were and we were told that they would check on them. After around another 5 minutes we were informed that the drinks which we had ordered were not available (later finding out that they had not been in stock all night). After changing our drinks order we finally received them after another few minutes. We had both ordered fillet steaks (at an extra supplement) to be cooked rare and medium- the rare steak arrived medium well done and the medium arrived well done. We waited the 5 minutes for the our side of onion rings to arrive to be able to speak to a member of staff about our steaks. The steaks were taken away to be re-done. After all of this one of us was so put off that we cancelled one of the steaks. We had to ask for the bottle of wine we had pre paid for on several occasions as multiple team members did not seem to have a clue what was going on with it. During the whole night we did not feel that any of the team (with the exception of Mark Walton) cared about our experience or were in anyway apologetic or understanding of our concerns. There was a distinct lack of leadership with no apparent manager on the floor. Our waiter was very cold with us and appeared to care more about a couple of his tables than the rest - he made no conversation or effort and didn't even introduce himself. When we eventually spoke to a manager on the front desk he seemed in no way concerned with what had happened and offered a very half hearted apology as though to just get rid of us. After paying a significant amount for the stay and dinner in your restaurant I can only describe it as an absolute farce from start to finish. The whole attitude of the team and the way the situation was handled was in no way acceptable and left us very disappointed.
However I would just like to take this opportunity to give credit to Mark, he was the only member of staff who seemed to genuinely care, his customer interaction was first class and I would like to thank him for all he did for us that night. He is a credit to your business and many

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
6  Thank Brittany R
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed here with 6 girlfriends for a pamper weekend treat. I agree with the other reviews this is a beautiful hotel in amazing tranquil grounds however the service is not good. The girls on reception didn't give us any information on arrival with regards to what was available within the hotel and grounds eg mini golf or the adventure land outside also within our package deal it included lunch however we were not told how to order lunch such as go to the bar for a list of available food which we needed to tick what everyone wanted and select a time then go to the spa area for that specific time to eat we only found this out by chance after we asked the staff. Also in the restaurant we had pre-booked reservations for 8pm both nights however one of the nights we were not booked in at all. The restaurant is lovely and the food is nice but what we were told was the special "leak and potato soup" on both nights when ordered it came out as tomato!! Not a big problem but still not what we ordered and on both nights as well, now come on!!! In the room we were not giving enough glasses for the amount of guests staying in the room and no chocolates as per the package and we were not giving enough robes and slippers for the amount of guests so we had to ask for these items which was not a problem but for a 4 star hotel the staff don't seem very competent or organised... Having said that I would still recommend on the grounds that the hotel, grounds and spa are lovely and the food is also good.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank CLG20072013
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for our 2nd wedding anniversary this month.

The hotel itself is beautiful and the grounds are amazing and the spa area is really nice but we found the service to be terrible considering the price of the rooms.

On arrival we were told we needed to pay for our upgrade but this had already been paid for before we arrived. There was no robe and slippers for my wife in the room as stated there would be so she had to go and request them.

At evening dinner service we were seated and ordered drinks, waited about 20 minutes and the wrong drinks were brought. I then ordered my food only to be told I had been given the wrong menu so what I originally wanted I couldn't have. The food was nice. It wasn't anything special like I was expecting for a higher class hotel. The best thing about the meal was desert, creme brullee was delicious. To me it seemed like they had all new staff who didn't really know what was happening as all night all I could here from tables next to us was "sorry about that" from the waiters so it wasn't just us with bad service.

One good point from the night after the meal we went to the bar area and a nice bartender lady went the extra mile to make my wife a cocktail which wasn't on the menu. This was the only good service we received.

For breakfast we ordered room service for 9am. We were woken up at 7am by room service and she said "breakfast for 1" I said its for 2 people and it was requested for 9am. She apologised and had the wrong room. After that we were both awake so totally ruined the lie in we were looking forward to as we have a 1 year old son so we never get a lie in!

To top it off we were eating breakfast when it came at the correct time only to be interrupted by a knock on the door and it was a cleaning lady who said "oh sorry are you a late check out?" This was at 10am I said no checkout is 11am as it said on the sheet in our room.
Upon checkout the lady said we needed to pay £10 for the delivery of breakfast in bed but I explained that we were rudely woken at 7am so she waivered it but £10 does not make our stay any better.

We will not be staying here again which is a shame because its a beautiful hotel and was very clean etc very let down by the service received especially as it was our 2nd wedding anniversary so we wanted it to be nice

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank MackemChris
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We took a short 3-day break in June and we loved it. It was an all-inclusive (almost, except extra drinks at the bar) and worth every penny. The staff were very nice, it was the kind of hotel where they pull out the chair for you, lay a napkin on your lap and don't incessantly ask you what you thought of the food and how are we enjoying the drinks etc. (I find that quite annoying). The surroundings are exquisite - it acres of green land and very peaceful. The only disappointing this was the pool - it was dirty and had bits floating in it! Avoid it and the rest of it all is fab!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank trupsster
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Just returned from a fabulous 3 day midweek break .Excellent room 419 at the rear recentley decorated ,.The food at breakfast and the evening was of good quality well presented and served by amazing staff especially Jackie who was as friendley as could be .Overall a good stay with all staff very obliging and friendly.For £100 per couple per night with half board and a bootle of wine.,

Great value using D mail vouchers.
It is quiet during the week but i beleive can be noisy with hen parties and weddings taking place at weekends

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redworth
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel
The Manor House Hotel
The Manor House Hotel
#1 of 1 in West Auckland
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham

Been to Redworth Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!