“4 star? Joke.”

Redworth Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Redworth
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The highlight of the hotel are the grounds which are beautiful as is the main building. Great adventure playground for the kids. Family room(404)is a great size but in desperate need of refurbishment with threadbare carpets even held together with tape and peeled off wallpaper. Dated bathroom and no room safe.
On arrival we sat outside and had drinks but we had to go looking for staff to get service. We ordered snacks of chips, onion rings and garlic bread. They cost about £4 each which was almost a pound per chip. Garlic bread was width ways slices of baguette. Shocking. The coffee was luke warm.
Breakfast-the poorest I have experienced. Help yourself for everything including tea and coffee from flasks. Fried eggs swimming in fat, hard potatoes, beans were fine. Over cooked scrambled eggs. We ordered a cheese omelette which was burnt and was the strangest looking omelette which should never have been served. The poached eggs were sliding round the plate in water rather than served on some toast.
The staff are nice enough but this place has four star grounds and that's it. It seems to be stuck in a time warp.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Nicholas T, General Manager at Redworth Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Thank you for your comments.

Please accept my apologies for the problems you had during your stay. I have made the refurbishment of our rooms one of my priorities, however due to the scale of our operations, such a task will take some time to complete.

I was very concerned to read your comments surrounding our food and its service. Such a negative experience cannot be over-looked, please rest assured that I will be looking into these matters with great importance.

There are newer reviews for Redworth Hall Hotel

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at Redworth Hall on 13 July for a one night promotion, dinner, bed & breakfast and a bottle of wine. The hotel is in a lovely setting and fortunately the weather was lovely so we were able to take advantage and sit outside. Our bedroom was fine but the decor could do with a few tweaks. The hotel is looking a little tired in places. We enjoyed our evening meal and paid a little extra to get a better bottle of wine than the house wine offered. There was only one barman on in the bar during the day and there was a large queue of people waiting to be served. I'm not sure I would visit again but overall I think the offer we used was worth it, but I wouldn't have paid more.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments.

Please accept my apologies for the issues you had during your stay. I have made the redecoration of our rooms one my priorities, however, as I am sure you will understand, such a process will take some time due to the scale of our operations.

I will also be looking at our staffing structure during busy days to ensure the service does not lack simply due to low staff numbers.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Everything was very good, staff super friendly and helpful. Hotel kept spotless, breakfast one of the best. Hotel was in a beautiful locatipn.Only gripe was substandard Wifi. Kept logging is out. Have had better in a bus.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Great weekend, very dog friendly. The staff were helpful and nothing was a trouble. The room was clean and comfortable would highly recommend. The food was lovely, well cooked speedy service, the menu changed each day. Pamper yourself and give it a try.

Room Tip: Family rooms were really spacious, standard room was well equipped and very clean
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Graham T, General Manager at Redworth Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Thanks for leaving a great 5* review. Its good to know you had such a great time at the hotel. The team will be very pleased to jknknow of your comments

Bset regards

Reviewed July 14, 2013

When you first arrive up the long drive and you see the splendour of the original Jacobean exterior, you believe that this is going to be a stunning place to stay.
WRONG!! We had room 335 which was clean and comfortable but sorely in need of some TLC and faced out on to the woods which made it very dark, even during the day. However, this did help to get a very restful sleep. And, unfortunately, this is where the positives end.....
Like so many other reviewers before me, there are many things wrong with this place, none of which have been dealt with.
We too were given a choice of 6pm or 9pm for dinner. We chose the earlier one but when we got the, there were only 2 other people dining ( even when we left at 8.30, it wasn't that busy). Seems strange. The dining room staff do their level best but are let down by colleagues at the bar. Our pre-dinner Prosecco arrived at the same time as our wine and our starter. The Prosecco and wine were warm and the starter wasn't. Not off to a great start but I have to say the food was lovely, even if the portion sizes were a bit on the small side.
The next evening was the same- warm wine and a waitress who, on her second night there, told us she was 'knackered' and that the knife she was about to give me was 'mingin' . Charming.
Now, I am not a wine snob or connoisseur but I really detest warm White wine. This is NOT what a four-star establishment would do and I am totally perplexed as to why this was the case. Same problems with lack of bar and clearing staff.
Can't say I found the staff particularly friendly but one young waitress called Sarah seemed to genuinely care about making our experience a good one. Despite her efforts, I will never be back and I would certainly never recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!!
1  Thank Mandste

Dear Guest,

I offer my sincerest apologies for the issues you had during your stay with us. Rest assured I will be looking into how we can improve our efforts to ensure a satisfactory standard of service is achieved.
I will be talking with our waiting staff to remind them of the high standard of etiquette we as a four star hotel set them. Thank you for your comments surrounding one particular waitress, I will pass them on.
We are indeed making changes to our operations and are making progressive steps, however this process will take some time due to the scale of the business.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We chose Redworth Hall (restaurant) as part of a local promotion. Although we had booked in advance for Saturday 13th July, when we arrived the booking was not recorded. However, a table was available. We were left with menus and ignored for 20 minutes; didn't even ask if we would like a drink. Eventually a waitress came to take our food order and we said we would like a drink first. The drinks order was taken with the food order. Bread arrived and for a table of four were were provided with one knob of butter - we asked for more three times before it all arrived at once.

A further 10 minutes passed with no drinks. We asked 3 different waiters where the drinks were before our starters arrived. Again we chased the drinks. There must have been @ 8 waiting staff on duty - the majority of which remained in a cluster around the till on and off for the duration of the time we were there. Eventually the drinks arrived. Two members of staff arrived to open one bottle of wine. A young waitress was coached at the table on how to cut the seal before opening the wine; this took quite some time and was embarrassing for the waitress and ourselves. The wine was served directly without being asked to taste - not a problem, but when you're paying this kind of money for a "dining experience" you expect class.

The sunblushed tomato tart was an absolute disgrace; simply hard pastry with a tomato in the middle and a slick of balsamic vinegar - completely tasteless. Main courses were miniscule, but in fairness quite tasty. Deserts were the best bit of a bad experience.

The final bill came to £160 for four. An absolutely horrendous experience. It was clear that the majority of waiting staff are juniors and have no idea what even basic customer service is. Looking around at other customers, it was obvious that quite a few of those weren't happy either, having to go to the staff at the till to ask about their meal/drinks.

All in all, a really bad place to eat - don't bother.

1  Thank Karen W

Thank you for your comments.

Please accept my apologies for the problems you had whilst dining in our restaurant. I will look into the issues you have raised and establish the root of the problems in order to formulate an effective solution.
We have recently hired a new head chef, who will be joining our team in the near future, and I look forward to working with him in ensuring our standards are raised.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We took advantage of a daily mail promotion and decided on a short break with the dog too. The hotel is set in lovely grounds, tables and chairs are out front so you can enjoy looking at the ground whilst enjoying a drink of too. We were told we could check in from 2pm so having planned to arrive then, i was a bit miffed that it would be another hour before the room was ready, still it gave us the chance to have a bite to eat and a drink. The ground floor room was nicely appointed and near to the exit to the courtyard which was handy for the dog, who was made very welcome. We ate in the dining room both evenings, there was a fixed price menu with a good choice. The staff were pleasant and attentive and the meal delicious. Breakfast was plentiful and tasty too. I had planned on booking a spa treatment but thought I would be able to sort this when I got there alas it wasn't to be there was no availability, possibly due to the spa closing about 5, I did think as it was a spa hotel there would be evening availability. There is a nice swimming pool too if you fancy a cooling dip. 2 coach parties revived whilst we were enjoying a drink outside, this did cause an obstruction when trying to get back into the hotel as the reception desk is just through the doors so guests were backed up outside, I think they could have planned check in of big groups a little better, away from the main reception/entrance

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redworth
Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in West Auckland
Hardwick Hall Hotel
Hardwick Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sedgefield

Been to Redworth Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!