“4 night stay”

Redworth Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Redworth
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was an offer by the Daily Mail . We were very pleased with the location of the hotel as we had our Labrador dog with us & there was some good walks for her surronding the hotel. As we had the dog we were unable to upgrade the room but we felt it was adequate king size bed & room enough for the dog! We were able to use the leisure pool & gym which was very clean free towels provided. Meals were good but felt bar snacks were a bit pricey £15 for a curry although there were sandwiches ! there was no problem at night with noise from other guests. The only complaint was that we did not have our room cleaned twice we had to find the maid for clean towels etc but we would return for a further stay as it was totally relaxing & good value.

1  Thank Linda S
There are newer reviews for Redworth Hall Hotel

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights last year and had a very enjoyable experience. We came when the hotel was run by Barcelo and there extras for the kids were great (free backpacks and kids meals). Our 2 girls were 3 and 10 months and we stayed in a suite which had a very large king sized separate bedroom with luxurious ensuite and a sofa bed and cot in the living area with a separate toilet and even a dining table and chairs. TV's were in both rooms so meant we could get the girls to bed and then stay in our own room for the rest of the evening.
The grounds and hotel buildings were gorgeous and very interesting. The restaurant was fantastic and the staff were really good with the girls and very accommodating (we ate early). Breakfast was excellent with dishes brought to your table freshly cooked.
Overall, a very good hotel which I would recommend to couples and families.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite if you're travelling with children so you can have separate rooms!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This Hotel is located in beautiful grounds and the original building is obviously steeped in History and lovingly restored.

Our deluxe room was comfortable, but we were disappointed because the room on their website was described as having a separate Power Shower and the room was supposed to be provided with Mineral Water, Bathrobes and Slippers, all of which were missing.

Breakfast was very good although the Hot Buffet food was a little dried up and definitely no fresh eggs.

There is a nice Leisure Centre with a Gym, Swimming Pool, Steam Room and Sauna, which was let down by the Steam Room being dark and the Changing Rooms a little grubby.

The Bar and Restaurant was very expensive, so we took a short drive to the Bay Horse in Heighington Village (5 minute drive) for a superb meal.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed 2nights in the new part for a birthday treat. Positives,friendly check in. Room spacious spa room.comfortable. lovely setting. Good position for sight seeing .Negatives ,bit of peoples factory. Not relaxing a all. Put me off using health club as it was bombed out all the time,same with bar and restaurant. Weddings and conferences are on,which is ofcourse fine if it didn't portrait a country retreat spa break.Friday eve loud music from wedding kept us awake till 12.30.which presume is a regular reoccurance, as there was a wedding 3 nights on the run.
We ahead planned to eat for a special birthday meal ,but went to local pub ,where we got the personal service and quieter ambiance we wanted.
Overall enjoyed stay ,but website should be more honest about the actual type of place it is,a countyrside conference centre with a historic hall and spa attached to it.

Room Tip: Not near the conference side ,noisy
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicholas T, General Manager at Redworth Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

I was glad to read that there were several positive points to your stay. I must apologise for the disturbances you encountered during your stay. Weddings do indeed take place on a regular basis here and we are looking at how we can combat the noise pollution without compromising the enjoyment of the wedding guests. I am sure you understand that we must find a middle ground in which both parties can be satisfied.

I do hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed, and the first time my husband has stayed. We both thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We arrived early, room not ready as expected, so we had a very enjoyable lunch in the bar. The bar has the only thing I could complain about, that is finding someone to serve you, the bar area needs a bell or signal so bar staff can see you are waiting. Many people had to shout to get someone from the dining area or function rooms.

After going to the room, which had everything needed for a one night stay, we went to the leisure centre and was shown round by a very helpful young man. We only used the swimming pool and sauna which was just what we wanted.

Dinner and breakfast was very good, tasty and the service excellent. We will return again when we can.

1  Thank patsylandin
Reviewed April 19, 2013

The receptionist was keen for me to have an upgrade at £15 but as it was for one night business trip I declined. She was also not sure which way to go once I'd gone up the stairs to the first floor which was none too helpful on a first visit!!
I can't say I was very impressed with Room 4 which I had been allocated - the room obviously suffers with damp as both corners of the outside wall had mould stains that had not been totally cleaned away and the woodwork on the low raftered part of the ceiling had also some sort of fungus growing. The windows were filthy and didn't close properly.
The chair at the desk was "faux leather" which was all ripped. The tray next to the desk with the kettle etc was barely clean so first job was to wash up before having a cup of tea! The jacuzzi jets in the bath looked less than clean so a lukewarm quick shower was the best option after which I noticed the towel rail had a PAT test label that ran out in 2011!!
As I was on my own and had work to do, I opted for room service rather than eat in the restaurant which was a very limited menu (with an extortionate £5 surcharge). The meal arrived quite quickly but the chips seemed to be lunchtime's reheated and the sticky toffee pudding was tasteless and as it was served on a cold plate, was cold by the time I'd finished eating my main course. I left the tray outside the door as requested and it was still there when I left at 8:30 the next morning. I didn't sample the breakfast menu so can't comment on the restaurant facilities.
And lastly, there was no clock in the room - I had declined the offer of a wake-up call not knowing there would be a lack of such a basic requirement but fortunately, my mobile phone has the facility. After the poor night's sleep due to noisy floorboards in the corridors that made it almost impossible to leave/return to your room quietly to avoid disturbing other guests, the mobile alarm was not a welcome sound!
I'd only been booked in here as Hardwick Hall was full but in future I will be moving my meeting date if Hardwick Hall is full as this hotel seems to be the only other option on our booking agent's list for the area and there is no way I would want to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the issues you had during your stay with us. I will contact you personally in due course to discuss this matter further.

Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night on 7 April with my husband taking advantage of what appeared to be a super deal with Travelzoo at a rate of £99 for dinner, B&B plus a bottle of wine in the room on arrival and use of facilities, late check out of 1pm!

The hotel's website portrays a "near on" Olympic sized swimming pool and the beautiful fascade of the grand beautiful old building which conjures a romantic relaxing weekend in traditional surroundings ......an excuse to dress for dinner, fine dining..........
.......oh, what lies within!

Not the grandest of entrances from the main road with a short sweeping drive, the hotel sits a very pretty picture with manicured lawns and rabbits running freely adding to first impressions.

Immediately at check in we were offered an "upgrade" to a new spa room for an additional £20 for the night. I advised the pleasant receptionist that a work colleague had stayed the previous weekend which happened to be Easter. What I didn't tell her was she upgraded her room to a "new spa room" at the additional cost of only £10 for the night!!!!! I see another review has stated this room upgrade was £25! Both myself and colleague stayed Sunday evenings. I think staff need to be clear on how much room upgrades are!

I stated we would rather stay in the original part of the building for character and cordially shown a room upgrade at the cost of £25 for the night for a four poster bed room, bath robes and "walk in wardrobe" and jacuzzi bath was how it was sold! The four poster bed failed to blow me away, not a traditional one and given we were there for only 24 hours failed to see how a walk in wardrobe would appeal! We were then shown room 209 - a standard room which whilst situated down the most dour route of the many corridors past numerous wine buckets and disreguarded bottles of wine and glasses - the room appeared acceptable given the time we were there! So we decided our £25 would be better spent on wine with our dinner.

Within a few moments alone in the room, I couldn't help but notice the filthy windows of the room, the exterior of the kettle was filthy and my husband pointed out the electrical "pat" test label had not been updated for a considerable length of time. I felt physically sick when I noticed the valance sheet of the bed, it was filthy. I find it hard to believe the room attendant could overlook the dirt given it resembled approximately 3-4" in length of dried on lumpy chocolate or vegetable soup - either way I was close to driving back home abandoning our stay.

My husband complained to reception and after showing the receptionist our findings we were moved to room 215. Much larger, although after she left us alone in the room we noticed the windows being filthy, the bathroom shower screen wasn't clean, you could see as the downlighting illuminated where a cloth had pushed the dirt around. This room had jacuzzi bath, one jet chrome cover was missing and the following morning having showered the bath filled with 3" of water which didn't even drain away whilst we had breakfast! I showered in cold water, then half way through my husbands shower it became warm.

We didn't use the facilities, if the bedrooms, windows were not clean I felt concerned about the pool, sauna etc. the glazed doors leading to the spa were covered in fingerprints, all windows of the hotel were dirty. The pool.......well the photo on the website has been stretched or that is one mighty clever camera lens! Neither of us felt inclined now to get undressed and use the facilities and felt the objective of the stay had not been met.

Prior to dinner we had a drink in the bar, so uninspiring - would have liked this area to have had settees to relax upon, not pub style chairs with a large tv on the wall showing sport! The bar did not have any Sauvignon Blanc so I opted for a medium glass of Merlot, my husband a pint of beer for the princely sum of £9.60! Ouch. The bar felt impersonal, hated it was part of the thoroughfare from the rear stairs. No character. However, we were able to view other guests arriving for dinner in the room adjacent and quickly noticed my "dress up" fine dining experience would not be fulfilled.

Fortunately, I had an alternative less dressy outfit to wear, the dining room (breakfast served here too) with its atmosphere felt as though we were sat in a Brewers Fayre! No tablecloths - no fine dining experience even at additional cost! This room does not reflect that beautiful old building in the photos. People who book to stay in a "Hall" or old mansion house do so for the experience of that era.

The waitress was very pleasant and did her best to ensure we were happy. Bottle of wine £21 ish Pinot Noir (my room upgrade!) we both opted for soup, leek and potato, it had plenty of flavour - mainly white pepper which I don't mind although for us the consistency too thin. Like my soup thicker!

My husband ordered steak which came with chunky chips yenga building block style and usual trimmings. He enjoyed this although considered it to be good pub food. I struggled to find something I fancied and opted for the garlic and herb chicken with the same trimmings as the steak and a portion of creamed spinach on the side. I can't deny it was very nice and the chips were very tasty. Personally I don't think the mushroom and tomato went with the dish and would have preferred Mediterranean oven roasted veg which I think would compliment more.

Finally we both chose ginger sponge with blueberry ice cream ...... There was no ginger, the sponge bland although light and fluffy and appeared to have at some point prior to reaching our table of having treacle on top. Not keen on the blueberry ice cream.

So to bed! Complimentary water in the room, condiment supplies a bit mean as were the single biscuit each! Incidentally we left them.

Reasonable night sleep however, pillows were like biscuits I found a new pillow in the cupboard which I selfishly claimed for the night - at least I knew it was clean. No wrap around sink able duvets one associates with good hotels. The hairdryer in the drawer was filthy on the outside ..... Theme going on here.

Breakfast.........awful. 4* I think not - perhaps in its hay day. We really feel this hotel has scrimped somewhat - breakfast is done on the cheapest budget offering the cheapest of fare probably purchased from the "value" range at the cash and carry. My husband tells me the cornflakes served from a dispenser were not Kellogg's, I was horrified to see 3 large jugs normally associated with water service containing milk - open to the warm elements of the hotel, guests breathing on them not even sat in a bowl of iced water to keep chilled!

The warm breakfast was your full English, queuing in a small area with your plate like "Oliver" serving yourself as much or as little as you want. Their were no eggs whilst we stood, the tray of beans were so congealed they would not fall off the serving spoon despite a vigorous shake, sausages were dreadful - nasty cheap sausages.

I overheard a young boy tell his father at the adjacent table that the baked beans were not quality. This young boy must have been 10 years old if that. We also overheard another guest commenting to a waitress " no eggs, no cups, no plates and no staff" - bit of a joke.

So I barely ate breakfast and looked forward to leaving, late check out? About 10.30 I think along with a large number of other guests.

I had great expectations and as a couple who travel a lot may have returned had the ambience, food, facilities etc been up to scratch - Travelzoo did offer a cheap deal and so what do I expect - well I expect 4* experience, service and food in clean surroundings that compliment the era of the hotel. I didn't get this.

I would suggest the hotel management visit Mottram Hall near Manchester we stayed twice within 3 weeks prior Xmas and I would go back again. This is what I expect and I only paid a small amount more including the wine in the room.

I think this hotel has been recently taken over by Puma from Barcelo and as such needs to up its game - need to decide on your market, update those poor leisure facilities - too much space devoted to the room overlooking the pool, what is that? Rookery Hall has superb spa facilities.

Will I come again?
Absolutely no way - I checked with my work colleague and she confirmed they did only pay £10 extra for the room upgrade to a new spa room.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Merc9SLK
Nicholas T, General Manager at Redworth Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments.

May I firstly apologise for the apparent misrepresentation of our swimming pool. Our 15 metre swimming pool was captured using what I believe to be a wide-angle lens; the use of which is intended not to deceive, but to capture the swimming pool in its entirety, allowing visitors to the website to have a clearer idea of what our facilities consist of.

I am happy that you found our grounds aesthetically pleasing, we are indeed proud of them.
Our upgrades are set at £30 and we occasionally give special offers, something that may explain the difference in pricing your friend experienced. I am pleased that you found our reception staff pleasant; I will pass on your comments to them.

With regards to the rooms, as the new General Manager I am looking to upgrade our accommodation over the coming months; however this will unfortunately be a lengthy process given the nature of our business. I offer my sincerest apologies for the state of your sheets, let me assure you that occurrences of this nature are rare and I am glad we were able to move you to another room. We have recently had a new Head Housekeeper join our team and I will pass on your comments so we can ensure something like this does not happen again.

I am pleased to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your main courses, our newly-appointed Head Chef is looking to make some changes and so I hope the problems you faced can be rectified as a result.

Thank you again for your comments and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, to see the changes we are making for yourselves.

Nick Testa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Redworth
Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in West Auckland
Hardwick Hall Hotel
Hardwick Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sedgefield

Been to Redworth Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!