“Delightful, relaxing overnight stay...”

Redworth Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Redworth
Billingham, United Kingdom
“Delightful, relaxing overnight stay...”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I have just returned home from a wonderful overnight stop at Redworth Hall Hotel. We booked a deal through Travel Zoo which was DB&B, use of the health club, bottle of wine in our room and late deparure at 1 pm, for £99 per couple!! At only £25 extra we upgraded to a delux spa room which was very clean, well furnished and in a quiet position at the back of the hotel, away from the car parks, overlooking shrubbery.The bed was huge and extremely comfortable providing us with a wonderful nights sleep and we thoroughly appreciated the luxurious spa bath and separate spa shower after our morning walking around Durham.
The pool and spa facilities were excellent as was our evening meal and I enjoyed the buffet breakfast of which I especially appreciated the addition of fresh fruit salad. However, my husband was not thrilled with the meat produce which had been kept warm for too long and so this is the only reason we could not give an excellent rating.The staff were helpful, friendly and calm even though there was a function being held in the conference centre and the hotel was busy.The building and grounds were beautiful, with the addition of a children's play area and tennis courts.
The last hotel we stayed at, Burythorpe House near Malton, could learn a lot about customer service and how to run a health spa from Redworth Hall!!! (see review).
Highly recommended especially with upgraded room for that extra bit of luxury.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor at the back of the hotel in a delux spa room, which was in a very quiet pos...
1 Thank John and Jean H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were only staying for one night, and turned down the offer of an upgrade as we had taken up a "deal" so there seemed little point spending another £30. They might have got our repeat business if they'd given us the upgrade, as there was little chance of anyone booking in at that point on a Sunday night. Our room was ok, rather dark and dowdy, but warm and comfortable. We were surprised (and disappointed) to arrive at about 3.00 pm to find empty bottles, glasses, ice-buckets etc. all over the corridors and also on the outdoor seating areas when we went for a walk. I'm sure Saturday nights are busy, but this gave such a bad impression, especially as all this was still there at 5.30 ! We had dinner also as part of the package, were told they'd run out of our choice of wine but could offer an alternative - yes you guessed - at £3 more per glass
( and they'd run out of cheese for the cheese-board.) Poor show management - you need to be on top of this. The staff on reception and the restaurant are pleasant and welcoming so they need to be supported by more effective management. The pool was nice but the ladies' changing rooms were again a mess - towels piled high on the bins and empty drinks bottles littered around. To be honest I was disappointed and certainly wouldn't venture back, even given the "deals" available. Best bit - buffet breakfast, good choice and well-prepared and presented.

Room Tip: Pay for the upgrade !?
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicholas T, General Manager at Redworth Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments.

I must apologise for the messy state of the corridors, rest assured that this is a rarity and I will personally see to it that such a problem will not occur again.
It seems we were caught short with our food and beverage supplies that particular night; we have recently hired a new bar supervisor and I can safely say that with this appointment, we will be rid of issues such as those you experienced.
As the new General Manager, change is one of my priorities and I do hope I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards,

Nicholas Testa

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Booked well in advance for a birthday weekend and to meet up with family.Very impressive driveway to the hotel. Family suite room ready on arrival. Disappointed at our 'family suite'. It is advertised as luxury but it was certainly not that! Many things not good, peeling wallpaper, curtains that were stained, ripped and didn't even match. Stained, torn wallpaper. Bathroom pedal bin - no pedal - it had broken off and had been left - not hygienic! Only one chair in the room for a family of 4. It was not what we were expecting for a 'luxury hotel' My parents had a double room for one night and their room was much better (although not ready for 2 oclock along with many other people who were getting quite frustrated at rooms not being ready. )
When checking out it was noted that the rooms were gradually being decorated and updated when money became available and some rooms were much better, again disappointing that we were not told we would be having an 'old' room when we booked the 'luxury weekend'.
The meal on Easter Sunday was a carvery6 adults got their food. I (being vegetarian) waited for mine and also waited for my childrens meals (children aged 4 and 3). I got up from the table a total of three times to ask where our food was. Mine cam half way through and my children arrived when there was only one person in my party still eating! This is just not good enough. We mentioned it, got a sorry and discussed that we would be dicussing it further.
On checkout we dicussed the matter and was told the resturant should have dealt with it but it would be looked into. We were also charged a cancellation fee at checkout where I said that I had already paid for it and was told I hadn't - I then had to follow up with two phone calls to get this rectified as I had already paid it. I have been promised a phone call to sort it out, and didn't get it, so I phoned again. This time it was sorted and a letter was then promised and it was being sent first class. 4 working days later and it still hasn't arrived. It is terribly frustrating to have to chase for service that should be expected from this standard of hotel!

Having said that they put on some good activites for the children over Easter weekend and most of the staff were very friendly. It could be a lovely hotel but in our experience it has not been.

Room Tip: ask for a recently renovated room the room we had was not very nice at all.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Nicholas T, General Manager at Redworth Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments.

As the new General Manager I am looking to upgrade our accommodation over the coming months; however this will unfortunately be a lengthy process given the nature of our business.

Our newly-appointed Head Chef is looking to make some changes and so I hope the problems you faced can be rectified as a result.

I apologise for the mix-up with your cancellation fee and although I am pleased the problem was solved, I am sorry for the hassle you have been through.

Thank you again for your comments and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, to see the changes we are making for yourselves.

Kind Regards,

Nick Testa

Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great relaxing hotel Anthony in the Spa/gym really great Reception sorted room changes due to WiFi issues without a fuss. We had teenagers in separate rooms and they made it home from home importantly they could use all the facilities without the usual spa time restrictions on pool use etc.

Business users make sure you ask for a room with a strong signal there is none in the main bar areas.

Breakfast/dinner great selection but service slow. My only negative of the stay.

• Stayed April 2013
England
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed for a short weekend. Beautiful building in extensive grounds. Very comfortable room. Dinner was a bit hit and miss and rather expensive but overall a good experience. Buffet breakfast was a bit of a zoo but he quality of the food was OK. May have been affected by the fact that there were large weddings on both days.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
County Durham
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Living only 45mins away this hotel was chosen for a one night get away for the husbands birthday, I purchsed the one night, DBB with wine on Travel Zoo for £99 and from the moment I booked via telephone could tell it was going to be a good choice. The staff are what really make this hotel, the reception staff are extremley helpful and pleasant with a real, genuine," want to help" attitude, we checked into room 205 which was furnished and decorated to a good standard and was very clean, the bed linen of good quality and a good selection of teas and coffee, my only small gripe was normally you get a bottle of still and sparkling water in a 4star and we didn't, also no iron which again is usual.
The bar area is very nice but could do with a few sofas rather than all chairs and for the size of the hotel is a little cramped, although there are other seating areas dotted around the hotel they are a little out of the way.
Dinner was lovely, the staff are very well trained and attentive without encroaching during the meal, I had goats cheese terrine followed by lamb and both were tasty, the lamb was lovely and pink but could have been a bit hotter. The wine list is extensive, and we eventually went for a Californian Merlot which was exactly as described and it was nice to see the list broken down into light, heavy, fruity etc as the choice was mind boggling! £25 plus for a bottle of wine is average for a 4star hotel so as long as you expect to pay extra you should be ok.
Good sleep was had by both of us, the usual door slamming, late conversations etc but you get that in every hotel.
Breakfast was a little hap hazard, twice one of the managers caught our eye as we waited to be seated and it would have been nice if she could have acknowledged us and just said "I'm getting tables cleared and will be with you in a minute" but she pretended not to have, another lady in a suit seated us and was very efficent in taking the tea/coffee order but you could see that staff were limited out front and they were frantically rushing around clearing tables which doesn't make for the most relaxing of breakfasts. The choice on offer was very good, plenty of cereal, fruit, juices, pastries etc and on the hot plate the usual bacon, sausage, egg, mushroom, beans, tomatoes and unusually fried new potatoes, again my only gripe is the buffet breakfast was just not hot enough and you could tell some of it had just been sat a while.
Again when it came to check out the reception staff just could not do enough, very pleasant and genuine in asking about our stay, my husband has lost his car keys and thankfully someone had handed them in but the staff and concierge were more than happy to help.
We would certainly visit again, and next time make use of the spa and the lovely grounds.

Washington, Tyne and Wear
Reviewed April 8, 2013

From the outside and the grounds of the hotel, Redworth Hall cannot be faulted. We were in room 15, although you cannot fault the room itself, the noise on a night from a wedding and party was very loud. The heat of the room was unbareable! The bed was rock hard, which left two aching backs the next morning!

I would return, but maybe replace mattresses? I'd rather stay in a room away from the front of the hotel, as this is a cause of most of the noise!

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. As I am getting to grips with the hotel, your thoughts are invaluable in allowing me to pinpoint which areas of the hotel need attention. I apologise for the travelling noise from the wedding; I imagine the age of the building will have something to do with that particular issue.

I do hope to welcome you back to Redworth Hall in the future to see the changes we have made.

Warm Regards,

Nicholas Testa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Redworth
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
#1 of 1 in Coatham Mundeville
The Manor House Hotel
The Manor House Hotel
#1 of 1 in West Auckland

Been to Redworth Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!