“Beautiful Location, Needs updating”

Redworth Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Redworth
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Cannot fault hotel for its location and views. Beautiful 17th century Manor hotel, and it snowed whilst I was there, so you can imagine how beautiful it was.
However for a 4* country manor hotel I was expecting a lot more. The room itself was nice, but the little things you notice when your travelling a lot.
The shower curtain for instance was stained, in a hotel like this I would have expected a glass door, or even a brand new clean curtain, but stains is not what I expected.
The telephone (which I know is not something important, but looks can mean everything) was an old fashioned cream/old phone that just looked cheap and nasty against the room decor.
I arrived late on the Sunday and this hotel is a little bit to the nearest restaurants etc so was thinking I would order room service. I expected the room service to be over the odds but then they charge an additional £5 per tray service which I thought was a little excessive. (when your paying £12-£15 for example per meal) to pay an additional £5 I thought was rather much.
I picked this hotel due to beautiful location but also it had swimming pool and gym facilities. When I arrived I went to the pool for a swim, and couldnt spend much time in it all, it was really dirty, things floating in the water which I would have not wanted to know what they were. So got out and didnt use it for the rest of my trip. This is not specifically the hotels fault it is the fitness centre, but worth knowing if you pick this hotel for these facilities.
I stayed for business so did not have to pay myself for hotel, I think if I had of paid myself I would have been disappointed. Purely on comfort, location then this is a nice hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank lolah304
RedworthGM, General Manager at Redworth Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dear Louise h
Thank you for your cosntructive feedback. As a well travelled business guest, I appreciate you taking the time to bring these points to our attention.
Jonathan

Write a ReviewReviews (3,462)

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Have just attended a family do at the hotel and stayed overnight! Very disappointed in the hotel, really don't understand why it has 4*'s as we feel it doesn't deserve them, more 3*! Check in was terrible and extremely slow! Got to our room which was interconnecting and they were obviously smoking in the next room and was coming through the connecting door!! Was awful! The room is nice but bit dated, had the worst and cheapest toilet roll ever experienced! I know that sounds extremely pathetic but it is things like this that impress myself and my hubby!
The silver wedding was held in the great hall which is a lovely room however the bar you have to use for this room was freezing cold and with 1 barman on all night service extremely slow! The ladies toilets were the coldest place I have ever been, seriously I could have cried when went to the loo, in fact after that first visit we then went and used our room!! Was a buffet on and that ran out and wasn't replenished! So none left by time we got there!
By the time we got to our room we were going to order room service but there was a £5 charge for the privilege!! Forget that!
Breakfast this morning was ok, but not great! But the plates for breakfast were a joke!! Far to small!
Check out was a nightmare again, took ages, god knows why!
I know you may think these petty complaints but we have stayed in approx 16 hotels this year and sadly this one is our worst experience, and we would certainly not return in a hurry!! Also wasn't cheap either so felt its overpriced!

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Sammyan

Dear Sammyan
I am sorry we seemed to get it so wrong. Your constructive feedback will enable the team and I to focus very quickly on some simple areas of recovery.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

first time i stayed at this hotel ,i went with a coach party and stayed 3 nights,food excelent ,lovely building with open fires ,staff very friendly ,the rooms lovely also and very clean,would be going back in the future .

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
RedworthGM, General Manager at Redworth Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear sandra r
Thank you for the review. Brief, to the point, but none the less a great review. Hope you will get another opportunity to return.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed for two nights at this superb spa hotel at the end of November and was constantly impressed from the moment we arrived. Very efficient check in; an absolutely wonderful suite room was provided that wanted for nothing, this despite only booking a standard double. Dined in on the Saturday evening and was impressed with the quality of the food considering dined at Apsley's at the Lanesborough in London at the end of September, much better value for money. The staff were very friendly and accomodating, however I generally believe that people from County Durham are in any event. The facilities are super and whilst we were there the Chelsea under 18's team were in attendence before their match against Middlesborough which I guess speaks volumes.

I have no hesitation in recommending the hotel to anyone and it is ideally situated for exploring the delights of Barnard Castle, High force waterfall in Middleton in Teesdale etc.

Check out the Hotel for yourself and sample an absolute gem.

Room Tip: If you have the chance to book a corner situated suite then take it.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Sean J
Thank you for sharing your experiences of Redworth Hall Hotel with the wider Tripadvisor audience. We have some great rooms and if you do find one you like, its always worth calling the reservation team direct at the hotel for a future stay, this way we can try and oblige with future requests.
We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

My fiance and I stayed for one week-end and wished it had been a week. The Hotel sits beautifully amongst trees and gardens. First impressions of the building itself is 'Wow'. Once inside, you are transported to another world with an atmosphere of a bygone age. A roaring log fire in a huge fireplace, comfortable sofa's, large elegant windows overlooking the gardens.... the whole experience was to be savoured. The staff we so friendly and helpful and always smiled. Such a lovely welcome. The entire week-end was for us perfection. Everything was as we had hoped and everywhere we went we were looked after by experienced, friendly and happy staff. We would most certainly recommend this hotel and would be going again as soon as possible.

Room Tip: As this was our first visit, we cannot give any tips on rooms. We were on the top floor and it was...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Douglas W.
This may have been your first experience of Redworth Hall, however I sincerely hope its not your last. Thank you for sharing great feedback.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

This was a second visit and again, we were not disappointed. Unknown to me, my partner had upgraded to a spa room and for the price it was well worth it. The hotel staff are friendly, efficient and well mannered. The restaurant is excellent with a good menu and service. Shall certainly stay again in the future.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear brian_elaine_bowman
Thank you for sharing your feedback following this second visit. Great to hear that we continue to please.
Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed here for our 20th Anniversary night. My husband emailled twice with no response to enquire about extras in the room, in the end he had to ring and was given the number for florists. We ordered room service as I wasnt well and we were disappointed with the quality of the food, also the hot food was/had not been covered during its journey so when it arrived it certainly wasnt 'hot'. No condiments on the tray either?, no salt/pepper, didnt think I would have to ask for those.
The bedroom was a deluxe spa double, a cosy room, clean with an extremely comfortable bed. As mentioned before I havent been well and it was lovely to have had a good sleep. Separate power shower cubicle was lovely as was the spa bath - lovely! On a negative note for the room, although we were on the top floor, there was a function on in the hotel and as anyone who smokes now has to do so outside, the noise and 'carry on' from those people was very loud. There were various deliveries and drop offs at the back of the hotel, just under our room and we were aware of every delivery trolley scraping up the path.
Breakfast, we went down at about 9.20, the breakfast room was busy, there was a hot buffet area with sausage, potatoes, eggs cooked various ways, bacon, mushrooms, beans and fried bread and tomatoes. A toast machine with white and brown bread, sweet pastries, muffins also a cereal and some fresh fruit. I felt that the fresh fruit was a bit of a let down, it looked tinned.
We didnt complain, as stated, I wasnt well and each of the things probably arent enough to warrant a full blown trip to the manager. I dont think we will return, its a shame because the hotel itself if lovely, if not a bit of a rabbit warren at first re the room layout. Didnt use the spa - shame not well.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Son68
I am sorry you were not weel when you were with us, it certainly can take the edge off a stay, but do hope you are feeling better now. YOur feedback is constructive and we'll use it to coach our team members and ensure we improve.
Thank you for sharing.
Jonathan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Redworth
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel
The Manor House Hotel
#1 of 1 in West Auckland
Premier Inn Bishop Auckland Hotel
Best Western Whitworth Hall Hotel

Been to Redworth Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!