“First-rate in every regard”
Review of The County

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newton Aycliffe
The County
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I can't add a lot to the recent, very positive, reviews. I stayed here on Saturday 20/4/13, having found and booked on the Internet at late notice. When I arrived at 8pm the restaurant was already busy, but the proprietress knew I was coming and took the time to make me feel welcome. The room was absolutely spotless, with everything you could expect in terms of amenities.

Dinner was delicious and, more impressively, all of the (young) restaurant staff were incredibly polite and attentive. The customer service ethos has been absolutely drilled into everyone here. Terrific choice of breakfasts the next day and only sorry it was such a fleeting visit.

An easy 5* recommendation and I will definitely visit again. Thanks and well done to all at The County.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for The County

Reviewed April 23, 2013

It is not often, with a 6 month old daughter, that we get the opportunity for an evening away. However, with my business taking me into the North East we decided to take the opportunity for a night away.

We stayed in the hotel and ate in the restaurant. The rooms were clean and spacious and had everything required. The location is quiet and if its lively you are looking for, look elsewhere.

I am lucky enough to eat our a lot with my job and I have to say the food is easily described as delicious. The atmosphere was nice and the service good.

Little icing on the cake was breakfast to be served at 8.00am - we had to get back for our daughter and they kindly opened up half an hour early for us in the morning - the little things as they say. Breakfast was excellent and we were on our way.

This is a real hidden gem and I would urge people to visit. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on 17/4/13, having found and booked on the internet. In the village of Aycliffe, overlooking the village green, an easy drive from Darlington, Stockton, Durham, etc. We arrived earlier than the usual check-in time of 2pm but were made extremely welcome with a tray of tea and coffee (no charge) in the restaurant building for the few minutes it took to ensure the room was already free, cleaned, etc. The rooms are in a very attractive building next to the restaurant itself. We had booked a superior double but as the place was not full Colette, the lovely friendly Manager put us in a luxury double - and it was just that. On the first floor, and if you visit, ask for Room No.4 - you will not be disappointed I think. Lovely, spacious room, beautifully decorated with a huge and very comfy bed, with a couple of armchairs, desk, Wi-Fi, flat screen t.v., etc., adjoining that a walk-through wardrobe area (wish I had that at home, it would have held all my clothes,) and then on into a beautiful spacious bathroom with twin basins, bath and shower. Again, beautifully decorated and very swish. Everywhere was absolutely spotless. There was a tray of tea/coffee/biscuits in the room, with, unusually, more than enough of each - I have found in other hotels etc., the supplies are usually quite miserly, but not here. And if there had been anything lacking I am sure this would have been immediately rectified. Downstairs was a little lounge area and patio doors leading out to a decked and attractive courtyard - which I appreciated as unfortunately I do smoke, so this was handy to nip out to have a ciggy. In case of rain there are umbrellas in the hall for use of the guests.

We decided to eat in the restaurant that evening and were pleased we did. My husband had a starter of sautéed garlic king prawns - I tried one - they were superb, the best we have ever had, and as we have been world travellers for many years, that's saying something. He followed this with the fish pie, again excellent, I had roast pheasant, likewise excellent, and we shared seasonal vegetables that were cooked just right - not mushy but not hard and underdone either. The portions were fine for us, we did not have room for pudding, although those available sounded good. The restaurant bar serves the usual range of beers, spirits, etc. and mineral water etc. was available, but a nice touch here was instead of trying to sell you overpriced fizzy or still water, you are supplied without asking with a bottle of chilled tap water, no charge.
We had a reasonably priced bottle of red wine (the Black Shiraz) which turned out to be so good we had another to take back to our room.

The next morning we returned to the restaurant building for a full breakfast, which again was excellent, the bacon was especially tasty.

Although check-out is billed as 10am, we were told to take our time, there was no hurry.

Every single staff member we encountered, from the cleaning lady, to waitress, to bar staff, to Manager, were all so friendly, efficient, helpful, and welcoming. We would recommend this place to anyone, either to stay or just for a meal, and will no doubt return.

Room Tip: Try Room 4 - lovely.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband booked this as we were spending the weekend in the North East and The County was ideally situated near our Hotel. Food and service was very good; restaurant was busy and had a good atmosphere. Good sized portions which unfortunately meant no room for a dessert. Will visit again next time we are in the area.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Didn't, think about this much when I booked it I was looking for a stopover before heading to Edinburgh, I can honestly say that it is now firmly stored in my Sat Nav, what a truly lovely place very very clean lovely rooms food and service was great, was very happy and pleased to have recognised the place on the Hairy Dieters TV Show recently this is a lovely little place I will definitely be back.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Excellent food and service. 1st visit with girlfriend and not disappointed. Will be going back for sure.
Plenty of choice on menu and reasonable too. I have been informed that menu changes regularly too.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Daibhidh P
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We booked The County as it was recommended by friends and what a recommendation. We arrived early but were made welcome and shown to one of the most comfortable, well furnished and spotlessly clean rooms we have ever stayed in. The 7 guest rooms are in a house adjacent to the restaurant but they have thoughtfully provided umbrellas in case it is raining as you dash to the bar.

We decided to eat in the restaurant on the first night and the food was so good we decided to eat there on our second night too. The breakfasts were also great and eaten in a very relaxed peaceful way. You were never rushed. The restaurant has a mix of business people, visitors and locals who obviously go there for the good food.

Colette, Stuart and all their staff were really friendly. A really great place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bay Eden Arms Hotel
Bay Eden Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rushyford
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel

Been to The County? Share your experiences!