“Pleasant experience”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newton Aycliffe
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Pleasant experience”
Reviewed August 2, 2009

This hotel is in the the mould of Travel Lodge and is ideal for a few nights stay. The rooms are modern and clean and the service was excellent. £69 per night for two people including a good hearty breakfast. Ideallly situated to break up a long journey travelling either north or south to and from Scotland. Not five stars by any means which is what one can expect from this type of hotel but very good value and a pleasant experience all the same.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester
Reviewed July 26, 2009

We were in a coach party and booked at the Aston for two nights. This is primarily a Conference hotel and a bit impersonal to look at but we couldn't have been welcomed better. The staff were lovely, especially Jonathan, the Restaurant manager, to whom nothing was too much trouble. Food was excellent,but the chaotic way we had to queue for breakfast was very annoying. Cold buffet items were with the hot food, which meant that you had your cereal and juice etc and then had to rejoin a very long line to get your hot breakfast. We could not enter the dining room until every member of our tour had come down, so we were at the mercy of the latecomers. It was a bit like the school canteen! The bedroom was spacious, but only 6 coathangers for 2 people and no drawers.Wash basin was in the bedroom, so little privacy if you were with a friend. The shower was absolutely BRILLIANT , with a seat and lots of room and very powerful.The room overlooked the busy A1, so couldn't sleep with the window open and even with air con the room was stuffy and the duvets were very heavy in these conditions. I would definitely stay at the Aston again as it is excellent for a couple of nights.

• Stayed July 2009
Chester, Cheshire
Reviewed April 10, 2009

I stayed here for one night as part of a very cheap coach package weekend to Durham and York. It is the type of hotel that is in the middle of nowhere but is probably quite well used by business people during the week. We expected an adequate but 'nothing to write home about' place to eat and sleep. However, I was pleasantly surprised.

On arrival the two coaches were dealt with speedily and efficiently by the smiling duty manager and we were given the key to our room within two minutes of walking through the door - there are a number of upmarket hotels could learn a lesson or two from this exercise!
The bedroom was much larger than I expected and everything was clean and tidy. Reviews I had read praised the 'power shower' and rightly so - it was the most efficient I have ever come across. Marginally I would have preferred the vanity unit to have been in the toilet/shower room but that is a personal preference.
The bed was to my liking and given the proximity of a very busy road was extremely quiet and nothing disturbed my sleep. In fact the only thing we could hear was the bed in the room above (our room was number 10). No - not that sort of disturbance!! When the occupant(s) moved about and/or turned over we could hear their bed creaking in our room.
For a 'bargain break' we expected the food to be under par. Whilst it wasn't 4 star there was a reasonable choice of well prepared food and the staff were extremely attentive and the service was good. The breakfast was plentiful and staff readily and quickly brought more toast when requested.
The Aston Hotel probablyt isn't a place I am likely to stay at again but I would have no hesitation of returning if the need arose.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Tamworth
Reviewed June 26, 2008

Wonderful hotel with great location.

A work colleague and I visited this hotel this week for one night on our way to Stockton.

Rooms were very spacious and comfortable and as females we felt very safe and staff looked after us very well.

Will definitely visit again and have passed details to our Stockton Office so they can book others there in the future.

• Liked — Location and room
  • Disliked — Nothing to complain about
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Aberdeen, scotland
Reviewed June 12, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night in order to attend a funeral. I had to check out before the funeral but the staff allowed me to use an unoccupied room to change my formal clothes both before and after. This was very generous of them and what sticks in my mind most.

The property is on the outskirst of Darlington but very convenient by road. The travel lodge type style is typical. Breakfast (incl) is buffet and hearty. Rooms are generous and the executive at £10 more is very large.

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank oilman108
Somerset
Reviewed May 2, 2008

This is a typical motorway stop over characterless place.
From the drab outside you enter a miserable reception area and when you get to the corridors and rooms if you weren't feeling sick before you entered the place you might feel it then.The top of the walls are painted mushy pea green and the bottom half bright blue this wonderful colour scheme is also in the bedrooms and although I had an executive room which was large it had about as much character as a prison cell.The cheap fake wood furniture, the cigarette burn in the net curtain and the small holes in the bedcover and the grey towels did nothing to cheer me up.The room although non-smoking smelt of smoke.There were several things wrong in the room a reading light needing a new light bulb and a tv remote that worked spasmodically and a sink plug that refused to budge until Kevin the maintenance man came to help and he was the most cheerful thing about this place.I had real trouble with my room key needing 3 goes at re-programming it, it took about 12 attempts each time to get the key to work! The receptionist said it was probably because I had put it near a mobile phone, well maybe I did on one occasion but not the other times, a warning on the folder that the key was put in about anything that might affect the use of the key would have been useful.
Breakfast table was not laid up properly, teaspoons and butter missing and as we were in the first wave of people breakfasting this was not good.Breakfast was OK if you like a school canteen style help yourself job of luke warm fare along with the luke warm attitude of the staff.
There were not many good things to say about this place except the shower was fantastic and the bed comfortable.The staff while not rude were not welcoming or particularly helpful when there were problems (except Kevin) What a poor show for a hotel when the maintenance man is the best thing about a place!
At £90 per night I would have expected better than this and if I hadn't needed a room in a rush as I was going to a funeral would have gone elsewhere.This place was probably worth only half that.

I would highly recommend The County on the village green in Aycliffe for a meal.Superb food, service with a smile and the hightlight of a depressing experience in Darlington.

• Liked — The shower
  • Disliked — Lack of attention to detail
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Groupy
Edinburgh
Reviewed August 15, 2007

This is the second time we've stayed at this hotel and would have no reservation in recommending the hotel for a stopover. Both times we've stayed while attending the Superbike racing at Croft.

Booked online through the hotel website but didn't receive an e-mail confirmation so had to call the hotel to confirm they had my booking. Not sure why I was then phoned 3 times in the week before our stay to check I was still coming - even after I left a message confirming. This happened last year as well. Maybe they have a problem with people not turning up!

First time round we ate at the hotel on one night. Food was ok but not particularly inspiring and limited choice - especially for vegetarians. After that we ate in Durham which has a good variety of restaurants. Had great meals at both Saddlers and Hide.

Breakfast buffet is average but fine for what it does. Room was clean and reception staff efficient enough. Shower is the selling point for me though - absolutely fabby - full power shower with little seated bit. Great for warming you up after a damp day at the racing.

• Liked — Power shower
  • Disliked — A little bit overpriced for what is basically a motorway stopover hotel.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in Coatham Mundeville
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m? Share your experiences!