“Excellent service and value”

Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Newton Aycliffe
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights on their "Beamish " offer. Hotel far exceeded expectation. it was clean, bright and spacious and well appointed. The staff were very attentive and friendly and the food was good quality with a wide range for breakfast a a bistro style standard for evening meal. Although it is located at a service area on the A1 it is far enough away to be peaceful and relaxing. We will definitely consider another break either at this hotel or another in the group.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Traceycam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Thank you for your review after staying with us. I am pleased to read that we far exceeded your expectations this is something we enjoy doing.
The team keep the hotel in good order and it is certainly good that you found this.
There is a lot of homemade dishes on our menu, I hope you had the opportunity to try one of our sundaes!
Fantastic that you will be returning to us or one of our other hotels. Why not follow our social sites for some great breaks coming up

Hope to see you again

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed here with the Travel Zoo offer and we were very pleased with what we found. We were checked in efficiently and discovered our room to be large and airy with an American sized bed. All expected facilities were there including kettle, tea, coffee, large shower, large desk area, TV etc. The room was very clean.
The hotel is due to be refurbished and some of the furniture is showing signs of wear but not to the point of looking tatty or scruffy.
We booked our evening meal, which was included in the deal, and arrived on time at 7pm. The food was acceptable but the service was not as our first course didn't arrive until 8:15pm.
The cheese board was very poor and the staff did not know what the cheeses were!

Breakfast is buffet style but is hot and plentiful. I asked for poached eggs to be cooked fresh on both mornings and they were cooked perfectly.

Some people have complained about the noise but we were not aware of any. The car park is large and the hotel is easy to find.

At the end of our stay we spoke to the manager of the hotel to make her aware of the service we had received in the restaurant. The manager listened and was able to assure us that she would follow up the issues we had raised. I later received an email to thank me for pointing out our concerns and so allowing management to deal with them.

We would use the hotel again as the plus points outweighed the negative ones and the 'deal' was excellent value for money.

Thank you to the manager for dealing with our concerns so efficiently.

Room Tip: Room 214 is on the top floor and looks out on to the car park. We found it to be very spacious and q...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for writing your review after staying with us. It was very nice to meet you both and receive your genuine feedback.
It was good that you had enjoyed your stay with us and that was a point which came across. We have implemented measures in the Brasserie so you will not nor others will be waiting for service

Please ask for me when you arrive
See you again and soon

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed at the aston for a weekend in august.The hotel was clean and the bed was comfy,but didn't like the wash basin being in the room .The staff on reception were miserable as were the chef and resteraunt staff.The housekeeper however was lovely she always had a smile and was very helpful.The bar was very expensive too.If you want to go to darlington choose another hotel because the taxis were a rip off too £12.00 for a four mile trip!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review, it is good to read that you found the hotel clean and the bed comfy, the hand wash basin is a talking point.
It is with dismay that I read your comments regarding the team, a comment to say the team are miserable is something I have never read before, I will look into this further as I cannot understand why the team came across like this.
I have passed your comment onto the housekeeper who was very pleased. The hotel is ten minutes from Darlington Town centre the cost of taxis' are an average price but there is also public transport running approx. every half hour.
We do hope you return and see us at our best

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We, like many others, bought the Travelzoo deal and we are delighted with our stay at the Aston Darlington. We were made very welcome, our room was large, spotlessly clean, air conditioned with all the amenities we needed. Dinner was very good and again the staff were attentive, friendly and professional. Given its location, we expected a bit more road noise than when we stayed at the Aston Dumfries, but we were pleasantly surprised how quiet it was. Breakfast was good, but I would have liked fresh fruit - whole- rather than a salad which was mainly apples. Our trip to Beamish was amazing, and part of the deal, so our whole stay was excellent value for money. I hope the management at the Aston Darlington appreciate the work and effort their staff put in to ensure the guests enjoy their stay - they are the hotel's best asset. We look forward to going there again.

Room Tip: Facing car park is the best side
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Great to read that you have taken advantage of one of our breaks.
I am pleased that you found everything you required to make your stay comfortable. When you return please ask for fruit which is whole and I will ensure there is some there for you.
I am very proud of my team and the work which they do and I totally agree that they are the best asset
See you soon

Reviewed August 31, 2013

The room was very clean and comfortable with loads of room. The shower was especially large for overnight accommodation. I nearly lost my husband in the bed :D Good breakfast on a buffet style (could have been a bit hotter but minor grumble) overall thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Had tickets to visit Beamish which was also very very good.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for writing your review it is great to read that you found your stay to be magnificent! we could not ask for better.
We certainly hope that you will have the opportunity to return again and explore the rest of the area and to once again have the Aston experience

Reviewed August 31, 2013

This short break was truly magnificent. It was easy to book and a brilliant place to stay. Room contained all that was required and the bed was “King size” and very comfortable. Multi-channel TV, free WiFi and a work desk, telephone, iron and ironing board and tea/coffee making facilities were present as were hairdryer and ensuite bathroom. All facilities in the room were good and there was a lift to rooms on 1st and 2nd floors. Cleanliness was great and the meals were excellent (breakfast and evening meal). The staff were very obliging and friendly. Relaxation space was plentiful and the bar well stocked. All you could possibly want, was here.

Room Tip: Ground, first or second floor - the choice is yours. Near the Motorway so ask for a room away from...
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Fantastic staff throughout from check-in, via restaurant & room service to check-out.
Had Travelzoo 2 night break including breakfasts, 3 course dinner, bottle of wine & tickets to Beamish.
Bedroom well sized & kitted out, large comfy bed, TV on rotating stand, plenty of hanging space complete with iron & ironing board.
Good shower with seat, plenty of pressure, various sprays & hand held option. Large fluffy towels. Extractor fan not working but man was bringing several new ones in as we were leaving.
Dinner was really good (& I can be very critical). After warm granary rolls I started with bacon black pudding salad which was excellent but could have happily picked 3 others. For main course I had pork belly with crispy crackling which was far better than provided by ASK, my wife went for the salmon & was more than satisfied. Whilst not usually bothering with puds I really enjoyed vanilla cheesecake but my wife struggled to finish her chocolate cake! The included house red was quaffable, after which I had no reason to try out the bar.
My only mistake was not eat there on the second night but we went instead to Cafe Rouge in Durham. Just to say I won't be back there again.
Breakfast was excellent, with lots of choice of both hot & cold, which were constantly replenished by the team in the calm & organised kichen. (I don't know where Mr Grumpy from Manchester got his grease from, perhaps he took it with him!)
No noise from A1 even with window open as we were around the side over-looking open countryside.
The hotel is about to have a re-fit so not surprisingly some carpets were showing signs of use, but not heavily worn.
TOP TIP use your Beamish ticket to zoom past the queues at the pay kiosks.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Traceycam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Thank you for such a great review we could not ask for more than you have written. We are thrilled with such comments and reading that you enjoyed your stay!

We do hope you will return to visit the wealth of attractions close by to us. We hope to see you soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton Aycliffe
4 mi away
Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel
7 mi away
Best Western Plus The Croft Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m? Share your experiences!