“Better than good but beaten by the Aston in Dumfries.”

Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Newton Aycliffe
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Having stayed at the Aston Hotel in Dumfries on a good number of occasions and being very happy with everything there I thought I'd try here when in the area.
Firstly, excellent friendly welcome marred only by problems with the key card. Very frustrating when you've dragged all your stuff up to the room only to discover the card doesn't work. Then you find the replacement doesn't either.
The room itself, well equipped roomy executive with all the details you would expect. Smallish LCD TV with a mix of channels (in no particular order). Very good free WIFI. I understand that the hotel is a converted Sleep Inn that is due to undergo a revamp soon. Rooms are a bit like an upgraded Premier Inn but there's no real harm in that.
The restaurant is not particularly inspiring although the food was of good quality. I felt it was a bit let down by the staff. Friendly enough but perhaps a bit more training required. I believe I was served by a total of five people during the course of my meal! All well meaning but sorry to say not as efficient as the waiting staff in Dumfries.
Good location, just off motorway but without traffic noise. All in all though better than good and decent value for money. The Holiday Inn at Scotch Corner still remains my first choice.

Room Tip: Get an executive room for not much more.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ifand
Traceycam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review after your stay. It is good to read that you stay at our Aston Dumfries hotel and therefore chose us.
Sorry to read that you had problems accessing your room with the key card. I will have maintenance give the lock a service. Our rooms do benefit from being spacious, with room to give you comfort when staying. I am pleased that you found the food to be of good quality.
I am shocked to read that you felt let down by the team , this is a comment that i have never had before. This is an area where we usually pride ourselves, i will certainly take this up with the team and react upon this.
I do hope that you will return in the future to see us at our best.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a 'Great Little Break' here at the Aston Hotel, 2 nights b & b with a 3 course a la carte dinner on the first night. The meal was superb and only had to pay a small amount for certain items. A bottle of wine was included per room. A good choice at breakfast. All staff were extremely helpful and pleasant. We booked a disabled room for my elderly parents. Doors were wide enough for wheelchair access and the bathroom was huge with grab rails and a shower area with a seat. I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Excellent for anyone looking for a disabled room without a hoist. Our other room was large and comfo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank bevysmith

Thank you for your great review after your stay with us. I am really pleased that you had such a good stay.
We do try and ensure that we have breaks to suit and which give good value. Your comments have been passed onto the team and they are thrilled.

We do hope that you all return and soon

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I only stayed here very briefly....arriving after midnight and then leaving again at 10am the next morning.

It's reasonably priced for what it is and as I was just using it as a stop off on my way north, up the A1, then nice and close to the motorway....without being too noisy.

The room and general decor were good and the warm was nicely heated.

All the staff were very friendly and helpful....at breakfast everyone was very nice and couldn't do enough to help me....e.g. the orange juice machine was running out, so they took my juice back off me and then refilled it and brought a new one over to me table. Only a small thing, but a good indication of excellent customer service.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Traceycam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you for your review after your stay with us, It is good to read such comments. We are indeed in an ideal location for the A1(M) and surrounding areas.
I am pleased that you had the opportunity to have breakfast in Brasserie 59 and meet some our team.
I do hope that you will also have the opportunity to return and have dinner with us. We hope to welcome you back and soon

Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights 29th & 30th March on bed and breakfast basis. The staff were efficient and friendly. Rooms are spacious, beds comfortable and the power shower was very powerful which makes a nice change. Breakfast was very good with plenty to choose from. We ate in the restaurant on one night and the food was excellent with a good selection. Location good for visiting Beamish Museum and Shildon.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review after staying with us. It is great to read such good comments.
We do take a pride in the Hotel and the level of service which we give and reading your review it looks like that is what we have achieved. All our bedrooms benefit from being spacious, we believe that you should have space and comfort when staying with us. The power showers certainly are what they say!!
A lot of the dishes on the Brasserie menu are homemade and we do try to give a good selection.
We are indeed ldeally located to visit the surrounding areas, you must return and visit the Head of Steam Museum in Darlington which is only a mile from the Hotel.
We do hope you return and soon to explore what the rest of the area has to offer

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I travel alone on business up and down the country and as a lone female am very aware of my surroundings and need to feel comfortable wherever I stay.

Following a particularly bad experience last week in a Gateshead Hotel, I decided to seek other’s advice on this hotel – before booking! All looked promising, so I booked....

Access to the hotel was great – close to A1 and well signed off the roundabout. When I saw the lorry park I was a bit concerned that there may be loud noise from the vehicles late into the night / early morning – this was absolutely NOT the case – no noise at all!

The Reception staff were very welcoming and helpful.

ROOM - The room was lovely, not the usual square room with the bathroom tucked into one corner – this was designed so it had a sort of separate bedroom area, sink in bedroom but separated by a wall, lovely large shower (complete with seat if needed) and toilet behind solid door.

The curtains were lovely with an extra pelmet detail and tie-backs, they were very thick so kept out the light and helped against the cold night. The TV could have done with being updated, but worked fine, so no problem there.

The bed was huge, exceptionally clean fresh-smelling white sheets and duvet and lovely ‘squidgy’ pillows.

There were so many power sockets, you could have plugged any device into and still have spares! All situated in such a way that there was a choice of where you sat when on your PC etc. The nice comfortable armchair and heavy small round table was perfect.

My room overlooked the A1, just a few feet away – BUT – no intrusive noise at all – truly amazing!

FOOD - I had room service, which was delivered within the 20mins quoted by a very personable waiter. The food was OK, I wouldn’t rave about it, but it was satisfactory and hot – the Chocolate pudding and ice cream was particularly good.

BATHROOM – Shower was excellent, powerful and hot – nice big white towel - what more could a girl want!

SLEEP – Last week I had the worst night’s sleep possible in Gateshead, but this place? A full 8 hours of bliss!

CONCLUSION – A big THANK YOU to the Aston Hotel for restoring my faith in travelling hotels – I would not hesitate to stay there again and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: My room was at the back of the hotel, overlooking the A1, but no problem - I guess all rooms are lik...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Traceycam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review after your stay with us. It is fantastic to read your comments.
We feel that when you are away from home you should have the benefit of comfort and space with the highest levels of service. With the added benefit of free WIFI and car parking.
Your thank you has been passed onto the team and we are thrilled, so could I now pass on my big thanks to you for recommending us to others.
See you again and soon we hope

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Just off the A59 this is a modern hotel with really good customer service and a high quality restaurant with food normally associated with 4* restaurants. The rooms were spacious, spotless and boasting one of the best power showers I've experienced. As ever it's the staff who make the difference and we found everyone welcoming, helpful and informal. Can recommend it highly

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for a great review after your stay with us. We do have the advantage of being just off junction 59 of the A1(M), so we are easy to locate.
We take a pride in the hotel and do our best to give the highest possible standards of service. Reading such positive comments we have achieved that.
Your comments have been passed onto the team and we are thrilled. Thank you for recommending us to others too.
We look forward to your return and hope it is soon.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed here on a package which included dinner on the first night, a bottle of wine and tickets to Beamish museum. It was very good value and I would stay here again. I just have two issues which are both concerned with communication. The first concerns dinner on the first night. Our first night coincided with a large party having dinner in the restaurant. This meant that hotel guests were relegated to a side room with no atmosphere. The service was very slow presumably because of the kitchen having to cope with the large party. I feel that we should have been warned about this when we booked our table and also we could have been given the option to have dinner on the second night instead. The second issue was our room 007! It was a lovely room and I have no complaints except that it was next door to a function room which held a very noisy meeting. Again I feel that we should have been warned about this. We did not realise that it was not an ordinary room and just thought that we had noisy neighbours. We were just on the point of asking to be moved when the meeting ended. If only we had been told about it we would not have spent time worrying about when the noise would stop. Apart from these issues we were very satisfied and the free wifi was excellent with no connection problems.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank M0n0r
Traceycam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you for your review after staying with us. It is great to read that your bedroom was lovely and you had an enjoyable stay. We do benefit from a very good WIFI reception here, which is complimentary.
Could i take this opportunity to apologise for any disruption you encountered during your stay, this is indeed a very rare comment.
On your first night we did have a large party dining with us and dinner was served in The Stephenson room, there was no reason why service should have been slow, we had anticipated being busier so extra staff were rostered to cope with the added demand, i will certainly find out as to why you experienced this to ensure it does not happen again. We are more vigilant when we allocate our bedrooms especially if there is a conference which will run later than 5.30pm
I do hope that you will get the opportunity to return and soon, keep a look out on our website for more great breaks!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton Aycliffe
Park Head Country Hotel and Restaurant
Travelodge Darlington Hotel
Travelodge Darlington Hotel
#4 of 21 in Darlington

Been to Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m? Share your experiences!