“log cafe over the Ivel”
Review of Jordans Mill

Jordans Mill
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Jordans Mill is a new venue with Cafe, Historic Water Mill, Landscaped Gardens, Shop and Conference Facilities located just outside Biggleswade, Bedfordshire. It offers freshly made locally sourced food, Informative tours of the historic mill and gardens and a sunny decked verandah overlooking the Ivel River.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is so local to me i could walk here,great setting overlooking the river Ivel,the mill is well worth a visit to learn how grain was milled here by the Jordan family,incidently i like there commitment to manufacturing in Biggleswade as a local employer.
the winter garden is now open, the cafe is a lovely place to relax with a drink or snack from cafe.

Toby F, Manager at Jordans Mill, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Thank you for your kind words about us here at Jordans Mill. We are still pretty new, so hope that we are a useful place for you as you are so local. We have lots coming up towards the end of the year with our first Christmas - decorations are going up tonight and the turkey with all the trimmings will be in the servery from next week - and we have even more planned for 2014, so keep an eye out for news on more events and pop in for another drink and a snack soon.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Visited the cafe over this last weekend for breakfast/brunch. Food good value and plentiful but organisation a bit chaotic at times - lots of staff but no real focus on the job in hand.

Thank you for writing about us here and your fair comments about your visit last Sunday. We have Prince Charles coming here on Tuesday and I know that the staff have had a lot of training over the last couple of weeks, so I do hope that was why they seemed to be a little distracted! I hope that you try us again soon and am sure that you will have another generous breakfast overlooking the Ivel!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

The Jordan family were one of the first to produce organic cereals, and their muesli used to be the main UK brand, 'way back! The mill is set in a lovely part of Bedfordshire, tucked away down a country lane, and well worth a visit. The mill shop is a great place to buy gifts too, or to stock up on organic grains and other produce, some of which is grown nearby. Wonderful for an afternoon tea, with traditional scones, etc.

Toby F, Manager at Jordans Mill, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write about us here on tripadvisor. I am glad that you had a nice visit and know a lot about the Jordans family already! Our gardens are newly opened and we are hoping to get lots of information about the Jordans' keen interest in sustainable growing, in particular the conservation grade farming that the Jordans helped set up with others such as the soil association. The garden follows the conservation grade principles, so next time you are passing I would recommend a look. Our head gardener Svenja is usually hard at work making the beds productive, but she is always willing to talk to those with interest in the garden.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have made two or three visits to the new cafe and have very much enjoyed each of them. The food is always very good and the service excellent. I try to arrive just before peak time so I can get a table on the balcony over the river. I have never failed to get one of these tables.

It is a shame that Mrs Jordan's shop has moved into the cafe. It is much smaller now and more expensive. There is still some discount on bulk purchases but not as much as before.

It is worth attending a tour of the mill whilst visiting. It is less of a traditional mill than any I have seen before which, on one level, was a little disappointing. Having said that, it did mean it was unlike any I had previously seen. Jordan's Mill (I will use the apostrophe even if the company likes to think we are all illiterate) was modernised several times during its history so retains what was cutting edge technology from, I believe, around the time of the industrial revolution.

I look forward to returning to see the wild flower meadow.

1  Thank MrBedford
Toby F, Manager at Jordans Mill, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

I'm really glad that you are enjoying your trips here to Jordans Mill, and also that you are enjoying good positions by the window with a bit of planning!
We take on your comments about the shop and hope to have some good changes in the pipeline that should make it more inviting for you. Christmas should bring more products and a wider range of weighted ingredients that should offer good value and we have lots more plans for the coming year.
It also sounds like you have had an interesting tour of the mill. This is done by our excellent volunteers who donate a huge amount of time learning all about the mill. The new gardens should add another area of interest, especially in the Spring when it will become a hive of activity and productivity!

Unfortunately I have to justify our non-use of the apostrophe as Jordans Mill is the pluralisation of a name rather than a noun. It does not get through spell-check though, so I'm looking at a wiggly red line under it as I type!

Thanks for taking the time to write us a review of your experiences here. I hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I visited Jordans Mill with family having had a voucher for entry into the new gardens, and although we decided not to use this due to the weather, we are sure to return sometime in the spring to explore both the gardens in better conditions and also the mill itself.

We did stop for lunch in the restaurant, and were extremely impressed with the selection and quality of food available, far exceeding many other cafes and attractions in the area. The staff were happy to prepare fresh sandwiches for us as they had run out of pre-packed ones, and these were generously filled and very tasty. We found the range of cakes and traybakes was excellent, highlighting a commendable value for money and appealing to all ages and tastes - we especially liked some of the Halloween themed cakes and gingerbread skeletons!

Overall, well worth a look around, especially if the other areas open to visitors are of a similar high standard.

Toby F, Manager at Jordans Mill, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your trip here to the mill. I'm glad that you enjoyed your visit despite inclement weather stopping you from seeing the new gardens. I'm sure that you will have more luck in the spring, and there will be much to see then when the planting really starts to grow.
I'm also pleased that you enjoyed the food we produce here. We source as many ingredients as possible from the local area and I'm convinced that's why it tastes so good. Our Halloween cakes and treats were a great success so I will pass on to the kitchen your praise - look out for our Christmas items which will also whet your appetite and will be out from the 2nd December!