“Could do better !”

Riverside Cafe at Jordans Mill
Ranked #22 of 49 Restaurants in Biggleswade
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Jordans Mill is a new venue with Cafe, Historic Water Mill, Landscaped Gardens, Shop and Conference Facilities located just outside Biggleswade, Bedfordshire. It offers freshly made locally sourced food, Informative tours of the historic mill and gardens and a sunny decked verandah overlooking the Ivel River.
“Could do better !”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Have visited several times with various friends. Friendly staff , but dreadful seating unless the sofa`s are available.
No menu`s on tables, so unless you have a good memory , more than one visit to the blackboard is necessary.
Very unpleasant experience at the till, not enough space there at all.
Good selection of cakes etc & generally delicious, thank goodness !
Wold be nice to think you could include a free visit to the garden when you`ve been to the café - but I gather you have to pay. Shame.

• Visited March 2014
Toby F, Manager at Riverside Cafe at Jordans Mill, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your trip here to Jordans Mill. I am very sorry that you did not have the best of trips. We take all comments very seriously and I will be raising your points at our next management meeting.
I can understand your comment about the menus on the tables, but as we have specials every day it would be difficult to arrange. I am going through some provenance information for on the tables, so will bear in mind a 'standard' menu for a page in this material.
I am also aware of the slow progress through the servery at the moment. We have a new till and coffee machine being installed for Easter and hope that this will alleviate the delays at busy times that we have been having.
I do hope that you will try us again and hope that you have a good time. We have lots of new things coming on for Easter and the summer, and lots more coming up soon.

“Lovely restaurant”
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

I have become a regular visitor with my wife and family what a lovely restaurant to go to.Good food and friendly staff.i would get the restaurant and staff a 10 out of 10

Visited March 2014
Thank you for your whole-hearted and glowing review! We try very hard to give people the best time possible here, so are very happy that you feel all that hard work was worthwhile. We also have a lot of new things coming on too, so hope that you will keep coming to see the site and all our developments!
Dartford, United Kingdom
“Tea stop on our ramble”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Nicely laid out with lots of natural light, enough space between tables and plenty of parking - including disabled. Good views of the river and surrounding countryside. Actually only wanted a pot of tea myself as not long since a filling lunch but the cake selection looked amazing! The shop also seemed to stock a good range of Jordans products. Rounded off the afternoon by taking the riverside path just outside and walking into Biggleswade.

• Visited March 2014
I am glad that you had such a nice time by the river here at Jordans Mill. We are a new venue and glad that we are so popular with people like yourself, getting out into the countryside around us. You will have to come back for a slice of one of our cakes, they are made on site and we try to have a good range to choose from every day.
We will also be opening up more areas of the garden at Easter, so hope that you will try us and see what is new here overlooking the River Ivel!
“Unorganised!”
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

I recently visited Jordan's Mill with a group of my friends. We arrived at around 11:10am with the intentions of having a breakfast. We waited in the queue but by the time we got served it was 11:30 (breakfast finishes at 11:30) we were told breakfast had finished and there was no more food although we had been waiting in the queue before 11:30! This was poor organisation from the kitchen staff and the person serving at the till. Not one member of staff asked if we were waiting for breakfast and as a result we nearly missed out! After expressing our frustrations and persuading the chef; we were told if we waited we could have a fresh breakfast cooked for us. After waiting for a long time, the food was average, and nothing special. A nice place to visit but staff should be more organised and better trained!

Thank you for taking the time to review your trip here to Jordans Mill. We take all comments very seriously and I apologise for you having a frustrating experience. We have been extremely busy over the last couple of months and are making sure that we increase our staffing and training levels to make sure that your visit is not the norm here. We also have a new till and coffee machine section opening for Easter to enable more people through the servery in busy times.
I hope that you try us again and am sure that you will have a lovely time overlooking the river and gardens.
bucks
“Lovely spot to enjoy afternoon tea”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We visited today and enjoyed afternoon tea overlooking the river. The tea was great value, a pack of sandwiches, a slice of cake and the best scone I've had in ages (beautifully light and huge) served with jam and clotted cream, washed down with a pot of tea. My only gripe is that the sandwiches (cheese and onion) were rather dry and the bread was a bit thick. It would also have been nice to have had wholemeal bread. We were so full we were given boxes to take our slices of cake home. It was a lovely spot to sit in the sun enjoying the birdsong and sound of the water mill.

• Visited March 2014
Thank you for your message about your trip here to Jordans Mill.
With summer coming soon, I am glad that you enjoyed the decking and am sure that it will be busy as the weather improves.
I apologise if your sandwich was not as you would expect though. We do make them freshly every day. We are looking at some better packaging as I am sure that this is one of the reasons the sandwiches do not last as long as they should. We also have wholemeal sandwiches every day, so can only assume that they flew off the shelves before you got to them!
I hope you come and enjoy a treat here at Holme again, and have a lovely time overlooking the river!