“Needs lots of care.”
Review of The White Horse

The White Horse
Ranked #8 of 49 Restaurants in Biggleswade
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Traditional English country Pub with Bar, restaurant, patio and garden areas along with separate self contained function room along with a private dining room/conference room.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Needs lots of care.”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Recently visited this once beautiful country pub and sadly found a neglected pub. We were in fact seated and greeted with friendly faces. The young girls did engage in chat and adhere to all our needs like drinks and highchairs. However we waited 45 mins for our average pub grub. All we wanted was some sandwiches. When they arrived they were basic with a simple salad and minimal butter. Although the bacon baguette my son had was tasty. I must say the value is good. I hope this pub can now regain its quality and become the place all locals enjoy.

1 Thank Hannahmarie67

Biggleswade, United Kingdom
“A sad fallfrom grace”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The White Horse used to serve quality food in a superior surroundings. There my have been a premium for this but was worth paying for the superb building and gardens.
The premium still stands but the standards are woefull which have been evident in our two visits this summer.
Our first visit found a severe lack of menu's which the staff where very dismissive about, when we laid our hands on one it comprised of a document with numerous crossing outs rather than producing an up to date revision.
With an order of a bottle of Prosseco we were treated to odd glasses and had to request an ice bucket to cool the chilled wine.
Today was our last ever visit until we are aware of a change in management.
My first request was for a bottle of Chablis, costs £25, the bar staff failed to find this in the beer fridge and pointed to the display bottle as an example. She then proceeded to retrieve this and immediately opened it for my consumption. It was 34 degrees F!!!!
I am know snob but for £25 I expect a chilled bottle in an ice bucket. No ice bucket was provided, a Pimms jug was filled with ice with the bottle plonked on top.
This was my exit point with and went to the superb Black Horse which is only a mile away.
Poor is an understatement of the knowledge and service of this establishment in decline.
What a shame that poor management has let this once regular haunt become jaded and a waste of time and money.

2 Thank Tony S
Hitchin Uk
“Used to be so good”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Our latest and last visit to the White Horse was such a disappointment. My wife and I took my son there for an evening meal and had told him how good it was. Amend to "How good it used to be!"

My wife had scampi that were undercooked and I had a homemade steak and ale pie with vegetables. This meat might have been steak at sometime but was now just a mush of beef. The vegetables were cold and watery. While my son's Chicken and Bacon salad was fine, our meals were extremely disappointing especially compared to anything we have eaten there previously.
General verdict .... never again.

2 Thank David C
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Unfortunately we wouldn't return.”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We were the first people to arrive and order our lunch however we were served last after a 40 minute wait. I can't understand how a simple salad and baguette can take 40 minutes to prepare. While the food was fairly nice, it certainly didn't warrant the price or wait time. We won't be returning.

2 Thank lucy m
Bedfordshire, Uk
“So sad to be writing this :(”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We have been going here for quite a few years, mainly in the summer because of the garden. The last 2 visits have been hit & miss but tonight was terrible. A fairly empty car park & plenty of tables should have meant an OK visit. Nope! When we ordered food we were told its a 45 minute wait. OK, an hour & 20 minutes later after the 3rd visit by the manager after my daughter went to the bar to chase our food were told 10 more minutes as they were plating up. 10 minutes to plate up?? Meals were average at best, one portion of stone cold ribs didn't help! They need more staff on, they definitely need more experienced staff(its staffed by kids), they need a chef who can cope with a half empty restaurant without having to go out for a cigarette every 15 minutes (we watched him) & they need to not blame being busy when they are clearly not on the shocking service! I don't think we'll be rushing back anytime soon unless they sort things out :(

2 Thank Minniesmum23