“Where's the kids garden gone!”
Review of The White Horse

The White Horse
Ranked #7 of 50 Restaurants in Biggleswade
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Traditional English country Pub with Bar, restaurant, patio and garden areas along with separate self contained function room along with a private dining room/conference room.
Bedford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Where's the kids garden gone!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Visited this pub as we have many times before to sit in the garden and enjoy a bar meal. The added attraction has always been the garden and play equipment for the kids. How disappointing that this has been removed only to be replaced with a rather unexciting, small bouncy castle. Not only that but those of us that would like to eat in peace without kids in the immediate vicinity now have the bouncy castle in the outside seating area. Come on White Horse please bring back the play equipment and get rid of the ghastly bouncy castle. Alternatively reposition it.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank S S

Stotfold, United Kingdom
“Shambolic”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Having not been to this pub for some time, we decided to call in mid afternoon on the nice, warm sunny Sunday. We sat in the large garden once we found a table - not that they were occupied by customers, just mainly piled high with dirty plates and glasses. This I should have taken as a sign of things to come, sadly with a hungry 9 and 7 year old with us, we decided to order food and drinks. Not the simplest of procedures - it didn't seem possible to order both food and drink at the same time. So a long queue to order food was then followed by another wait to be served drinks by the one person behind the bar. Remember this is mid afternoon on a sunny Sunday.

"Hours wait for food" I was informed once I had placed my order, and shown a small handwritten chalk board on the bar. But starters will not be so long. Not a problem I thought, a couple of drinks in the sun and the children can play and that hour will fly by. I went back to the bar to order more drinks later and was met with a queue of about 8 people all waiting to order. Still there was a lone person behind the bar. After another long wait, it was the guy infront's turn to be served. The barman ignored him and asked me if I was next. I think it may be the guy who is stood in front of me in the queue to be served first I replied. He did get served, after repeating his order several times and was served a pint of Old Peculier that I suggested he ask for a flake and wafers in, so large was the head. It was eventually and begrudgingly topped up.

Now my turn. Only 4 drinks, so surely a simple task. So that is 2 Diet Cokes is it. No, one Diet, one regular. OK. When I asked which was the Diet Coke when the drinks were placed on the bar, I was informed that both of them were. Third time of asking - one Diet, one regular. Even McDonalds staff can handle this level of interaction.

So after sitting for a further time in the garden, still surrounded by the dirty plates and glasses that were present an hour before when we arrived, I enquired about our food order. Wait of an hour I was informed. Fine, but we have been here for an hour and twenty minutes and no sign of food. She returned and informed me it would be another twenty minutes. So an hour and 40 minutes for a burger, 2 kids meals and the one veggie option that hadn't been crossed out on the menu. Then I noticed people being served food who has arrived only 20 minutes previously, which led me to believe they had forgotten our order.

So in summary, they served a very nice pint of Doom Bar eventually, a very average and reasonably pricey burger after waiting for an hour and 40 minutes, all in a large sun drenched garden, surrounded by tables stacked with dirty glasses and plates. Nice pub, good beer, great location, average food, shambolic management and staffing. We won't be returning.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Herts_Clarets
Bedford, England, United Kingdom
“Sadly Dissapointing”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

So I decide after a really difficult few weeks that Ill take my Wife and Son to the White Horse where we had our wedding bash, two years ago, to be a little bit romantic and refresh some lovely memory's. I was looking forward to a nice Sunday lunch as a family.

I think I made the difficult few weeks even worse!

Upon arriving we walked to the bar area (expecting a waitress/waiter to greet us and ask how we can be helped) and stood and stood and stood and stood..........finally
"How can I help"
"We would like to eat lunch please"
"have you booked?"
"no"
"We only have that long table over there" as the young waitress pointed and waved her arm in the direction in front of us.

so we sat down and were given two menus (both looked like they had been chewed by a cow) and there were lines drawn through 8 of the menu items in Biro (most of the menu items that I would choose). To make it worse the new management have made no effort to even change the menus, they are still using menus from two years ago that quotes the old chefs name.

My wife asked what the specials were to be told they were all on the board "over there" so she liked the sound of the scampi and made a mental note.

I asked for a high chair and they brought out a high chair that was filthy and still had the remains of the previous diners dinner splattered all over it. We asked if it could be cleaned. The waitress returned 20 minutes later with a dirty cloth (I had to ask what was happening with the cleaning of the tray). I cleaned the tray myself with a baby wipe.

My wife took the littleun outside for a play and the waitress returned to ask if we were ready to order. I asked for the Scampi to be told that's on the Mon - Fri menu. I highlighted we were told that this was on the specials board. The Waitress apologised and I went off to find the wife to break the news.

I took over with the littleun and proceeded back into the restaurant my wife was discussing with the waitress and this waitress advised that she could have the Scampi and that the other waitress got it wrong.

I asked for the Chicken with ribs and steak (I love meat! )

"How would you like your steak?"

"Medium please"

So there we were, taking in the surroundings and the clock started ticking so we popped outside, came back in, popped back out, popped back in and then realised we had waited 45 minutes. My son was getting understandably frustrated!

I asked the waitress how long it would be and if I had to wait another ten minutes that we would have to leave so we could feed our son (he is 1 after all)

she advised -

"Ive asked the Chef and he says that your next"

I responded "What do you mean we are next? he hasn't even started cooking it and we were the second table to be seated today"

The waitress just stood and looked a little sad (like she was possibly used to this sort of conversation)

We continued to wait.

Whilst waiting the person next to us jumped up and announced that her meat was raw - this was not good. so I was dreading biting into my dinner.

After 1 hour of waiting the food finally arrived.

Our dinners were not to bad - I am a steak master and this was no medium steak this was a slab of hard meat so I sat wondering why I was asked how I would like it to be cooked.

I was disappointed as we are used to better (mature) staff who cared. And there just wasn't any customer service at all.

I thought id mention the steak when I went to pay.

As I approached the bar area I was asked "have you come to pay up"

I replied yes " I have come to pay up???" there was no "how was your meal" so I advised my steak was not cooked how I requested for it to be ........"sorry about that, that's £48 please"

seeing as we used to rant and rave about this place I was actually quite sad that the over all experience has declined so much.

Menus are shabby
The paint is peeling off the walls
The staff seemed to be very unprofessional
There was no feeling that anyone was being managed - At no point did I see a staff member that was over the age of 20.

Don't go there basically or until the management changes - such a shame as this pub is located in a beautiful area.

If you do go there set the expectation as soon as you speak to a waitress!

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank perryboy23
“What a dive! Worst pub we've visited in years”
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

We visited here last year and it was so quiet we wondered if we'd missed the three minute warning.

We therefore only visited again by accident.. We didn't realise it was the same place till we were inside. It was a lively sunny day but the tables that were empty outside were covered in loads of empty and not empty for that matter, glasses and plates. The queue was literally out of the door for the bar!

My partner sent a text after he'd queued for 20 minutes for our drinks: "can we just go, this place is a joke?" I went inside to find him just getting served. Tables inside were also piled high with dirty glasses and half eaten plates of food. It looked such a state.

One bewildered and disaffected looking young man served my partner, though I had to ask for lemon in my drink, and he took about five minutes to give my partner our change as he looked blankly at coins and notes. I'm guessing he was doing it in his head, and things weren't going through the till.

My drink tasted decidedly strange. The weirest tonic I've ever tasted.

No way would we consider eating here. We noticed there was an hours wait for food. I imagine from the reviews on here, that I've read today.. After our visit.. that the chaos of this place is the tip of the iceberg. I would not trust this crowd to wash a glass properly let alone cook or clean hygienically.

What a dive! Lovely location from there it's all downhill.

Visited June 2013
Sandy, United Kingdom
“Nice location especially in the Summer”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The pub is in a nice location with plenty of parking however, is can get very busy, so booking is advisable. This is not a gastro pub, but the food is OK and value for money. Sitting outside is lovely but inside can get a little noisy when there are lots of children around.

On our last but one visit the food arrived late and was cold. We sent it back and the manager came and apologised but something like an offer of a free drink as compensation would have been nice.

Food served all day at week ends which is great if you are wanting a late lunch. Great place for a pub lunch, but not for a special occasion.

• Visited June 2013