“RUINED BIRTHDAY TREAT”

Ranked #8 of 54 Restaurants in Biggleswade
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Traditional English country Pub with Bar, restaurant, patio and garden areas along with separate self contained function room along with a private dining room/conference room.
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I was taken to White Horse for Birthday lunch on 1st Jan. We booked for 1.30pm but decided to go a little earlier for a drink first. Upon arrival was surprised to see car park quite empty and only six people seated ready to eat. We were told we had no booking registered, but not a problem there were plenty of tables. We also had a large party booked for Saturday (14 family members) so we made sure this booking was in the diary - it was. We were told several items were not available from the menu but thought this was a Bank Holiday shortage. When meals eventually arrived (long delay) they were a joke! No presentation skills at all. A plate,with a luke warm d steak on it, a bowl with burnt limp chips, and a small soggy bowl of salad! I then realised the Whitehorse had changed hands since we visited last September. If the new management are intending to make this a "Fine Dining experience", then they need to have lessons in presentation skills first. I could only compare our meals to something that would be dished up by a Child! I could not eat most of my meal and when the waiter asked me if everything OK - I said no and pointed out the problems. He replied he would give my feedback to the chef. We heard nothing more, were not offered a dessert menu or coffee, so after 15 mintues paid the bill and left. We will NOT be returning and also cancelled the family meal. Such a shame this looks like it will go the same way as The Boot at Langford - stop messing with our Country pubs and give us back Family Friendly affordableTraditional pub grub.

4  Thank KITTIWAKE7

Reviewed January 7, 2013

My wife and I went here for lunch on Saturday (05th Jan 12) Firstly although it was 1:30pm and the pub was almost empty the service was shocking: We had to prompt the staff to come and take our order: We were given Olives and bread whilst waiting for our starters and on three seperate occassions waiting staff came to take the olives and bread away even though we were still eating them: The starters were fine: I ordered ribeye steak which eventually arrived with chips that were the greasiest, limpest chuncky chips that were served in a sort of tower. Once the food was put down no one came near us to ask if the food was okay..........When the waitress did eventually come over to ask if the food was okay and I said "No the chips were terrible" the waitress said "So other than the chips was everything okay"..................I complained to a tall young chap behind the bar who told me that he has tasted the chips and maybe it was down to personal preference and next time I come in not to order chunky chips................I didn't order them the first time...........The service, the food and the attitude here are awful, give it a miss and go to every other pub in the area that will at least make you feel that you are a customer....I am more than happy to tell everyone I know in Old Warden, Ickwell and Northill to stay well away from this place............Used to love this place, wouldn't bother ever going back, and we only live down the road

3  Thank Ven W
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Had Christmas Day lunch at this former restaurant that I went to often. I say former as I will never go again. The turkey meal arrived after an almost two hour wait. It resembled a Birds Eye frozen meal, except that would do a disservice to Birds Eye. There's no need to say any more. Do not under any circumstances go here to eat. The waiting staff were embarrassed to say the least, they tried there best but were woefully let down by the so called chef in the kitchen. He was no better than a ping chef who only knows how to use a microwave. Enough said, save your money and go to the Black Horse a few minutes away instead.

4  Thank HertfordshirePeewee
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Went on 30 December 2012 (evening). Menus were very thin A4 white paper, all stained, with 20+ spelling mistakes. Choices were limited to mainly burger type meals prepared in a microwave or deep fat fryer, no chef required, only one without chips. Food temperature ranged from cold to warm. Starter looked like it had been scrapped out of a jar. Starter's crusty bread was a conspicuous gap on plate, when I asked for it, it came as fried bread! Top of burger bun was burnt. Chicken inside was cold and hard. Salad was a few chopped green leaves only. Meals, for four of us, came in dribs and drabs, some not what we'd chosen. We've been several times in the past and it's been OK. This visit was a disaster. Didn't complain as it would have completely destroyed our evening and didn't want to be offered an alternative (as bad) meal, a bottle of wine (I was driving) or a return visit, Bar and waiting staff seemed to be embarassed to be working there. Shouldn't have stayed - next table (they'd gone apoplectic) was a clue!

4  Thank Wearsunscreen50
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Went for lunch at the white horse Southill on Monday and awful is an understatment!! This pub HAD such a good reputation and was always busy on previous visits. Me and my family eat out often and have been going to the white horse since a friend recommended it 2008 Its has gone downhill fast. Meals were cold and tasted horrible, bread was stale, and the service very poor. I paid as Im not one to make a fuss but the amount of food left on the plate should of been a giveaway to lack of enjoyment. I wont be returning ever again. Its under new management but my advice would be to sack the chef and get a new one who can actually cook.

5  Thank steve p