“Mother's Day?”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: It's a Hungry Horse pub/Restaurant
“Mother's Day?”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My husband and I went to this pub for Mother's Day lunch yesterday. I can honestly say I have never experienced such a lack of effort by any establishment on what is supposed to be a special day in the calendar of most people. All that was given as an acknowledgement of Mother's Day was a mini bottle of Baileys to the ladies. There were no flowers on the tables or any other sign that it was Mother's Day.

When I booked the table I asked what the menu would be and was told that it was the normal menu but that there would be a special deal for the Mothers - this special deal did not materialise.

The food was completely lack lustre and my roast beef was the worst pub meal I have experienced in a very long time. What should be done well in a pub on a Sunday lunchtime fell way below par. The Yorkshire pudding was the cheap, frozen, shove in the oven for 2 minute type. The roast potatoes tasted as though they had been recooked and were soggy outside and inside. The roast beef was cut far too thick and was very tough and overcooked. The helping of accompanying veg was rather stingy, but probably the best thing on the plate, and the gravy was tasteless. All components of the meal were luke warm. My husband had the pulled pork burger which he enjoyed and I suspect my food was dished up and left to get cold while his burger was cooked.

Please management tell your staff to stop addressing everyone as "guys" every other word - it gets really irritating.

We certainly won't be revisiting this pub anytime soon.

• Visited March 2014

“Gluttony ....”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Hi! It's a great place to go for a nice afternoon drink... The outside area is absolutely fantastic! The service is good ... Busy or not they are there for you! Tried and tasted the guilty churros....oh man !!! Very naughty but soooo nice! It's a nice place to spend your afternoon,nice and chilled( if you are lucky not to gave any kids around!) but overall... Yeah! I will go there again for sure!good feeling as you feel welcome! Ps... Try the naughty churros.... It has to be done!!!!

• Visited March 2014
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
“lovely family pub”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

they are very friendly does lovely meals beautifull garden little car park love going in here for meal with hubby

Visited October 2013
bedfordshire
“Hair in food!”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I've previously posted a great review for this pub as have eaten here many times as it is fairly local to me. However I believe it is under new ownership which may explain the poor meal I encountered at my last visit. Myself and a friend went on a Saturday night and ordered a bar meal each. I ordered Scampi, Chips & Salad, safe as houses usually but unfortunately on arrival the plate had a small eyelash like hair on side of plate which I was not bothered about and brushed off but things got worse on taking first mouthful of salad I pulled a massive blonde hair from my mouth (6" plus in length) and left the salad well alone after that. Rest of meal was OK. When the delightful waitress came to collect plates she asked if everything was OK. I said it would have been but for the long blonde hair i'd pulled from my mouth. She apologised and asked 'did I want another salad', I obviously declined but did say to her that it might be worth mentioning to kitchen staff to tie their hair up! She was lovely and panicked it was her hair but fortunately she was brunette and was not to blame! I won't be going back in a hurry. Meals are decently priced and good value but really in this day and age surely hairs should not be in food ... good job it wasn't my husband that had had that meal because he would have puked on the table there and then if he'd found a hair in his mouth! Very disappointed.

• Visited November 2013
London, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for ”
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

The food here passes as good pub grub at a reasonable price. Service simply depends on how busy it is but having eaten here a few times I can say the staff try their best considering they are slaves to Greene king. Talking of which, they occasionally manage two real ales but normally you are stuck with IPA which is a shame.