We needed one night's stay in Lonyearbyen before picking up an arctic cruise. The Radisson was fully booked and as we were arriving late (gone midnight) and leaving that morning, we decided this would do. And to be fair, it did do.
Room was adequate, the included breakfast was good and there was an option to use the bread meats and cheeses to make yourself a picnic lunch (at a reasonable cost). The reception staff were helpful.
As many others have already covered the rooms are in separate buildings from hotel reception, being converted mining accom. Shared showers and toilets on each floor.
The hotel has a cupboard where you can leave baggage. It isn't locked but it is near reception and we left a bag for 11 days without any issue. A nice option bearing in mind the ship cabins are always quite small.
Cheap isn't a word used easily in Longyearbyen (think A$ 9 - 10 for a flat white coffee) but this is probably the lowest cost hotel in town ... or I should say out of town. As others have said 20 mins downhill to the town. a 25 - 30 min walk uphill from the museum.
Understand what this place is and if you are happy with that, have no hesitation in booking it. But if you want a little more luxury and/or convenience of being in town, you are going to have to invest more NOK.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Coal Miners' Cabins offers reasonably priced accommodation, located in the upper part of the Longyear valley and within reach of mountains and glaciers. The place is an excellent starting point for hiking, skiing and snowmobile trips. Coal Miners' Cabins is the place to stay for those who want to get the real experience of the mining period on Svalbard. Coal Miners' Cabins is located in Nybyen, Longyearbyen's small "suburb" is within walking distance from downtown. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com and Travelocity so you can book your Coal Miners’ Cabins reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Spitsbergen Guesthouse Hotel Longyearbyen
- Coal Miners’ Cabins Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen, Svalbard