$211
$283
$244
$222
Agoda.com
Coal Miners’ Cabins(Longyearbyen)(Great Value!)
$91
TripAdvisor
Longyearbyen Camping(Longyearbyen)
Pitchup.com
  • Beachfront
All reviewsdog sleddingbunk bedstrappers cabinbreakfast roomcomplimentary tea and coffeebest restaurant in townat short noticerustic hotelfamily suiteglass ceilingsteep stairsnice showerwarm atmosphereother hotelsspecial thankslodge feelanimal skins
Reviewed April 1, 2015

This was my first time staying in very unique hotel. All decoration was made from recycled material, such as the wood from used boxes, the sack from coffee sack. Everything was well maintained, still trendy, and eco friendly. I love the ambience staying at this hote. It was very warm in the one of the coldest area and the northern most area in the world. The room was chic, very cozy. The bathroom was clean, the soap, shampoo, etc were eco friendly label. The breakfast was superb, the staff was super kind. Dont forget to explore all the area of this hotel. You gonna be surprised for what they had. You will have the best experience by staying at this hotel. Moreover, they also have the same hotel in Masaimara, Kenya.

Stayed: January 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rudy K
Reviewed March 29, 2015

This hotel brings you the trappers experience without sacrificing any comfort. Everything is really nice decorated to resemble a trappers cabin but when you go further you’ll find a comfortable toilet, wc and bed. This is just the best of both worlds! The roof room (believe it was called the whiskey room) gives you a clear view at the skies. Lots of special props in the hotel which makes it unique as does the entousiastic staff.

Room Tip: Not really, all are special in the own way, we were on the ground floor which is convenient.
  • Stayed: March 2015, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ronald B
Reviewed March 24, 2015

Longyearbyen is an amazing place and this hotel bang in the middle is just as good! The rooms are big and very nice, the lounge area is lovely, the breakfast amazing and the staff super helpful and friendly... I would not want to stay anywhere else! My only comment is that the rooms are quite chilly - so be prepared for that! (they are fine for sleeping though).

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2 and in room 6 and both were very nice.
  • Stayed: March 2015, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Unruly11
Reviewed March 20, 2015

On March 17, I used Booking.com to reserve a room at this hotel - at the time there were three other options as well, but based on the reviews, I thought this one sounded the most authentic/fun. I received a confirmation email advising all was in order. Background: Prior to booking, I reserved a spot on the Expedition (48 hr hold) and arranged airfare (24 hour hold). I did not confirm either until I received the confirmation for two nights after at this hotel and for one night prior at a different hotel. Once I felt secure that all was set, I confirmed the two more expensive pieces of the vacation and was excited to know I was on my way. Then, today, after I can no longer change my flight without incurring a fee, I receive an email from the hotel. They do not know what happened, they have been sold out since December, and will not honor the reservation. Before I panic too much, I go to look at what other options are still there - I figure I'll just switch to Svalbard Hotel, no big deal. NOPE! Now it is sold out, as are all the other hotels. I write back, explaining there are no available hotels and they must honor their contract. I'm told either change my flight and they will give me two different nights at a slightly reduced rate (this would mean sleeping on the street the night my ship gets back to Svalbard, or cutting my vacation short by two days, and either way incurring a fee that there is no offer to reimburse) OR they will try to find a hotel, but if it is more expensive, too bad, that is on me. I go back to my search online and end up booking what is essentially a room at a hostel (I am a bit old for hostels, so cannot imagine this will be pleasant, but better than being on the street, in the cold). Their bottom line: even if you have a confirmed reservation online, you need to call them personally to confirm that you have a "real" reservation (which is NOT the law in the United States, which governs a situation like this, where a foreign company has purposely chosen to conduct business in the United States. MY BOTTOM LINE: Stay far away from a company that pays lip service to customer service and ultimately is willing to leave you out in the cold rather than help find a solution. I can only hope that other businesses in Svalbard are not so shady (I travel extensively, and never have I had a business handle a situation so poorly. I can only assume they know they can take advantage of people who have few options.)

Stayed: March 2015, traveled solo
4  Thank Terry S
BasecampSpitsbergen, Manager at Basecamp Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2015

Dear Terry
We sincerely apologize. We use web based booking systems like so many others. For some reason our booking system did not push correct information to Booking.com this time. This has only happened twice. However, two times is two enough. We are working to make this problem solved.
We still want to wish you a pleasant stay on beautiful Svalbard.

Reviewed March 5, 2015

I've stayed in 3 places in Longyearbyen. This is the one I'd go back to. It has a certain (rustic) charm. Unlike the two larger places (Radisson & Spitsbergen), it's not overflowing with huge tour groups of people waiting for a cruise ship to leave. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is OK but not great. The restaurant serves a decent pizza, but you'll want to make a reservation.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple