All reviewsdog sleddingbunk bedsbasecamp explorerisfjord radiolog cabinbreakfast roombest restaurant in townat short noticerustic hotelyummy breakfastdrinking teafamily suiteglass ceilingsteep stairsadjoining restaurantwarm atmosphereother hotels
Reviewed January 15, 2015

In such a remote area The Trappers' Hotel is a real gem.
Wood is everywhere in this hotel making the atmosphere very warm and welcoming and the rooms full of character.
Breakfast is excellent
We loved the Hotel and I can highly recommend this lodge...It's the perfect place to stay in a unique landscape.

• Stayed: January 2015, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ArtepL
Reviewed January 14, 2015

An excellent hotel with friendly personell. I can warmly recommend this hotel to couples and families. Inside it looks like and old logghouse. The rooms do not have televisions, but who needs one in Svalbard, there is so much to do and see in surrounding

• Stayed: January 2015, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jedHelsinki
Reviewed January 12, 2015

Stayed here for a few nights and booked activities through them. One of the venders that they booked our activity with changed things and there wasn't any communication to us, leaving us in a pinch. They did a great job of finding us a guide even though there were 3000 people in on cruise ships and did not charge us any more for a private guide then our original price (they spent 2 hours plus on the phone). The hotel has a great breakfast and common room. I would stay here again and book activities through them.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Todd W
Reviewed December 20, 2014

My first journey to Svalbard was trully magical! The Trapper's hotel is really unique and staff are very happy, friendly and helpfull. As soon as we arrived we were amazed by how cosy and beautiful everything looked, and at the reception there was a lovely lady that explained us everything we needed to know about Longyearbyen and the local shops and restaurants. When someone loves their job you can clearly see it, and this was exactly the case with the staff at Basecamp. Our room was really special, because it felt like it was our own home for the 4 days we have stayed there, and we will always return there. Although there are no TV's in the rooms, there is a beautiful loft with sky view ceiling that has a tv and plenty of space for guests to sit there while drinking tea or coffee. People in Longyearbyen are extremely friendly and everyone speaks english very well. We really enjoyed the dogsleeding trip that we booked through the hotel, our guides were really friendly and because they knew how desperate we were to see the northern lights they were constantly looking out for us. While we were dogsleeding we did manage to see very faint northern lights in the valley, but it was understandable because it was really cloudy, even so our adventure was a really memorable one. We had Petter and Niklas as guides for our dogsleeding trip, and they've both been great! Although I was really not good at dogsleeding, I actually managed to fall from the sledge, Niklas was really friendly and had lots of patience with me and even asked me if I wanted to give it another go. Now that is what I call extraordinary customer service and dedication!
Although this was our first trip to Longyearbyen and Trapper's Lodge, we will go back there very soon.

Room Tip: all rooms in this hotel are unique so go ahead and give it a try you won't regret it!
  • Stayed: December 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Iosefina V
Reviewed December 2, 2014

Trappers Basecamp Lodge is truly special. The Lodge is made from beautifully hewn wood throughout, decorated with trappers furs with great warmth and attention to detail - all in the delightful town of Longyearbyen - the most northern town in the world!
The staff are delightful and extremely helpful in arranging trips, hikes and for whatever you need.
Great warm and personalized service.
My son and I went for the last Sunset of the Year and the Dark Blues festival - and we feel in love with the place.
Kroa Restaurant which is connected is an easy place to settle into because of the wood & warmth - and hard to leave.
Take the excursion to Pyramiden - the abandoned Russian town - preserved as if everyone left yesterday - and enjoy the gorgeous glacier on the way.
Longyearbyen, the Svalbard Islands and Trapper's is truly unique - and worthy of the Bucket List!

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed: November 2014, traveled with family