Svalbard Hotell The Vault(Longyearbyen)(Great Value!)
$214
  • Restaurant
$351
$270
Agoda.com
Coal Miners’ Cabins(Longyearbyen)(Great Value!)
$118
$36
Pitchup.com
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
All reviewsdog sleddingtrapper's lodgebunk bedsbreakfast roomcomplimentary tea and coffeereindeer stewnorthern lightsbest restaurant in townat short noticesaffron ginrustic hotelfamily suiteglass ceilingsteep stairsrooms are lovelyhot showernice shower
Reviewed December 20, 2014

My first journey to Svalbard was trully magical! The Trapper's hotel is really unique and staff are very happy, friendly and helpfull. As soon as we arrived we were amazed by how cosy and beautiful everything looked, and at the reception there was a lovely lady that explained us everything we needed to know about Longyearbyen and the local shops and restaurants. When someone loves their job you can clearly see it, and this was exactly the case with the staff at Basecamp. Our room was really special, because it felt like it was our own home for the 4 days we have stayed there, and we will always return there. Although there are no TV's in the rooms, there is a beautiful loft with sky view ceiling that has a tv and plenty of space for guests to sit there while drinking tea or coffee. People in Longyearbyen are extremely friendly and everyone speaks english very well. We really enjoyed the dogsleeding trip that we booked through the hotel, our guides were really friendly and because they knew how desperate we were to see the northern lights they were constantly looking out for us. While we were dogsleeding we did manage to see very faint northern lights in the valley, but it was understandable because it was really cloudy, even so our adventure was a really memorable one. We had Petter and Niklas as guides for our dogsleeding trip, and they've both been great! Although I was really not good at dogsleeding, I actually managed to fall from the sledge, Niklas was really friendly and had lots of patience with me and even asked me if I wanted to give it another go. Now that is what I call extraordinary customer service and dedication!
Although this was our first trip to Longyearbyen and Trapper's Lodge, we will go back there very soon.

Room Tip: all rooms in this hotel are unique so go ahead and give it a try you won't regret it!
  • Stayed: December 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Iosefina V
Reviewed December 2, 2014

Trappers Basecamp Lodge is truly special. The Lodge is made from beautifully hewn wood throughout, decorated with trappers furs with great warmth and attention to detail - all in the delightful town of Longyearbyen - the most northern town in the world!
The staff are delightful and extremely helpful in arranging trips, hikes and for whatever you need.
Great warm and personalized service.
My son and I went for the last Sunset of the Year and the Dark Blues festival - and we feel in love with the place.
Kroa Restaurant which is connected is an easy place to settle into because of the wood & warmth - and hard to leave.
Take the excursion to Pyramiden - the abandoned Russian town - preserved as if everyone left yesterday - and enjoy the gorgeous glacier on the way.
Longyearbyen, the Svalbard Islands and Trapper's is truly unique - and worthy of the Bucket List!

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed: November 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Stevedba
Reviewed November 25, 2014

Life’s never ending merry go round and ceaseless demands inspired us to make a spontaneous booking to Svalbard. I read an article a few years ago and since then have been patiently waiting to see if the beautiful masterpiece which I had painted in my mind really existed. Finally I am glad to say that it exists and despite being slightly darker because of this time of year, it is everything if not more than I imagined. Trapper’s hotel Is authentic to the core and true to its amazing surroundings. This place exudes a sense of tranquility and warmth from the minute you enter through the front doors but its uniqueness is in the details and the service provided by the staff. This is more than just a hotel, it’s a home away from home, an arctic oasis with a sense of history, adventure and inspiration embedded in the walls. The town has plenty to offer and the people we came across are nothing but friendly. The museum is a must see, a treasure chest of stories of bravery and courage as well as tragedies that once read will leave their mark on you. We enjoyed two trips offered through the hotel, hunting the Northern lights and dog sledding. Despite the fact that we never actually got to see the Northern lights due to mild and cloudy conditions our friendly guide Niklas made every minute of our alternative trip memorable. His hospitality, spontaneity and ability to make you feel at ease combined with his interesting description of life on Svalbard left you wanting to see and discover more about the island. A visit to the “Seed Vault” was one of the highlights of the tour that day. We stood at the gates of the vault, under the spotlight of the glimmering artwork above the door, in the company of the surrounding snow covered mountains and it was a sobering thought that the contents beyond those doors could someday ensure the continuation of the worlds food crop as we know it today. This cold and secure mountain is safeguarding one of the world’s most important resources for future generations. The second trip dog sledding is our most memorable filled with excitement, pure pleasure and bundles of laughter. Once again I have to thank Niklas for ensuring our safety and whose patience is both admirable and inspirational. This trip awakened a new sense of hunger to spend more time enjoying nature. On this note I will say nothing more than that it was my first encounter with dog sledding, Svalbard and Trapper’s hotel but definitely not my last.

• Stayed: November 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed November 1, 2014 via mobile

Great friendly atmosphere and everything is close. Restaurant Kroa right in the same building serving excellent food. Room was cosy and the bed was calling under the soft and warm planket. Common room had lots of room to sit on and watch tv.

Stayed: October 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 768ristor
Reviewed October 30, 2014

We stayed for three nights. We loved the location, atmosphere and comfort of the hotel. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Just really nice people.

We had a room on the first floor just outside the breakfast room. Our room had a bed big enough to accommodate my husband and I and also a single bunk above it. There is a small table next to the bed and a bench along part of a wall. The room is not set up for lounging. Mainly just sleeping. Which was fine because of the terrific common areas available to hotel guests (more on that below). There was a heater in the room and temperature control for the bathroom, each of which we set to our own comfort level. The room was clean and the bed fairly comfortable (bit soft and depressed in the middle). The only item lacking was a hairdryer in the bathroom. In fact, I think there was not a power outlet in the bathroom. Our room was quiet at all hours as well.

The hotel requires guests to remove their shoes at the front entrance. Great idea because it keeps the common areas clean. Everyone walks around in socks. We spent a lot of our time in the common area on the first floor when at the hotel. There is comfortable seating and complimentary tea and coffee and a bowl of cookies and biscuits. Just great to come back to after time out in the cold; particularly after an active day. There is a second common area on the second floor that has a television. But we enjoyed the first floor area so spent our time there.

Breakfast was served in the breakfast room. There was plenty to choose from. The food I ate was good.

There is a direct entrance from the hotel into a restaurant and there is a pub (which we preferred) directly across the way. A market and shops are all within a 5 minute walk.

We would stay again.