“Cooking with arctic chef”

Polar Permaculture Solutions
Book In Advance
More Info
$47.35*
and up
Questions and Answers about Polar Permaculture.
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Polar Permaculture Solutions is based in Longyearbyen, Norway on the archipelago of Svalbard. We are applying permaculture principles, techniques and practices to grow food and build local resilience in this northern-most community in the world.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed August 11, 2017

When my husband and I travel we like to include the experience of cooking with a local chef. We decided to cook with Ben since Svalbard is such a unique place and thought he could give us a good "taste" of the food on this remote island. He gave us a tour of his greenhouse where he's growing a variety of greens plus raising game hens and soon to have fish in a above ground pool he's just acquired. We cooked in a small kitchen used to prep tapas for the Tapas Bus that is a tour around town. We prepared cured whale with Lingon berry dressing, and micro greens (from his greenhouse) on flat bread. The main dish was reindeer stew on top of garlic mashed potatoes. Dessert was classic Norwegian brown cheese panacotta with marinated cloud berries. Everything was delicious!!! Ben was charming and very helpful. He has a passion for what he is doing and many ideas to make growing and cooking on Svalbard a positive experience.

Date of experience: July 2017
Benjamin V, Owner at Polar Permaculture Solutions, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2017

Thanks for your kind words and support Donna.
It was a pleasure to have all of you and I do hope to meet you all again soon!

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"microgreens"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed August 11, 2017

Came here in January 2016 and met Ben. By the time I left in August 2017, things really took off and the amazing dome is now in place. Definitely a must-see in Svalbard. You won't believe your eyes!

Date of experience: August 2017
Benjamin V, Owner at Polar Permaculture Solutions, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2017

So cool that you visited us Travin, and we hope that you come visit us again one day soon!

Reviewed August 11, 2017

What an experience! Ben and his team have done such a great job on this project. The time and dedication put into the greenhouse is astounding. Everyone is educated, informative, and passionate about permaculture in the arctic.

I am looking forward to see how they expand in the future, and what experiments and trials come from the dark season. Great job, guys! I am looking forward to my second tour soon!

Date of experience: August 2017

Thanks so much for you postive words and time Justin B!
It was a pleasure to have you on the tour and we hope you come back to visit again soon.

Reviewed August 11, 2017

I have visited this Project when I was having my observation trip for Global seed vaults. This is part of there package in there tour. I was surprise... for how could be possible to have this kind project in a very rear place in a arctic land. Mostly my knowledge about this made up in tropical land. What a ambitious and challenged project it was. Crazy idea in my thoughts. But when the guide bring us to dome and the nursery there I saw..ok it's possible. It was another kind of method or process of product "Law of Return" but it did function well. Having and producing there own crops to the locals. Fantastic and creative idea bringing the sustainable living to the locals now. All I can say it was successful project.

Date of experience: September 2016
1  Thank Skytten T

Thanks for your kind words Skytten T, it was a joy to have you join us for the tour, and we hope you come back to visit again some day soon!