“Very good surprise”

Polfareren Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 17 Restaurants in Longyearbyen
Description: Svalbard's newest hotel doesn't only offer accommodation, but has also opened a modern restaurant and bar. The restaurant menu is characterized by the Nordic, French and Asian cuisine. If you want to enjoy a good drink, we also offer beer from Svalbard Brewery and wine from our wine bar. We recommend that you visit us for more inspiration.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We had dinner twice at the restaurant,

The pros:
Small place with cozy ambiance,
Very good and extensive wine list,
Friendly staff,
All the courses were great: fresh, tasty, original.
We tried/recommend for starters the tuna, the whale carpaccio, the antipasti and for main courses the ramen soup, the grilled reindeer, the monkfish and the butternut risotto,
Not to forget the miso and figue pie for dersert!!

The cons:
2 dinners and nothing negative to say.

1  Thank lph2007

Reviewed August 12, 2018

As i was minding my own business walking down the only street i noticed this little restaurant inside of Svalbard Hotel. Further investigation i discovered a small but quite perfect asian fusion menu. Let me tell you something kids, this is how it`s done cause I don`t wanna read a book before my dinner, do what you do and give it you`re best, and this is exactly what happened here. I salute you chef, everything was perfect, slightly seared tuna to start, rain deer with roasted vegetables and mushroom sauce for main and the heavenly crack pie for dessert, yes I need more of that pie! I`ve been here everyday since, service was great also.

1  Thank sten33
Reviewed August 12, 2018 via mobile

The best restaurant in town! I took the monk fish, with Japanese style rice. And the crack cake which is surely the best cake in the world!!!!!
The service and the decoration were good too :)

1  Thank Naly N
Reviewed August 12, 2018

Warm and cozy place in the harsh arctic environment. Great food and great staff that introduced me to the very yummy Edel cider.
Certainly worth a visit.

Reviewed July 27, 2018 via mobile

Who would have thought this remote spot would have a menu, service and atmosphere one might expect of a world class city restaurant? Plus where else can one sample whale carpaccio or reindeer (very tender, not the least bit game-y). Butternut risotto was really flavorful and miso fig pie unlike anything I’ve ever had before! Definitely worthwhile way to spend an evening while on 2 day layover in Longyearbyen. Our server’s enthusiasm for this remote island, his description of the light for the 2 weeks just before and after the midnight winter makes us want to return just for that.

2  Thank Mary N