“wow!”

Hurtigruten Svalbard
Ranked #8 of 24 Tours in Spitsbergen
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Spitsbergen Travel is located in Longyearbyen, and is the most well-established tour operator and agent in the area, having assisted visitors to the Svalbard archipelago since 1988. Our team are the local experts on Svalbard, and can arrange everything from day trips to full programs with accommodation, flights, meals and activities for both individual travellers and groups. We work solely with products on Svalbard - this is what we know and is the only thing we sell.Spitsbergen Travel's focus is always on the safety of our guests, and we provide extensive training to our guide team. Our tour production department organises a wide range of acitviites to ensure something for everyone, no matter what the season. Day trips include snowmobiling, dog sledding, northern lights tours, fjord cruises, hiking and kayaking, as well as our exciting expedition programs.We look forward to helping you choose your own Arctic adventure!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Madrid, Spain
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“wow!”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

this is the way to see a glacier! other tours are offered on bigger boats to places like Barentsburg that get close to the glacier but they cannot compare to these tours in fast moving small boats that get bumpy with the icebergs on their way to the glacier, close but not too close in case of ice falling. Dress warmly because the wind, water and ice can make the journey cold. Fun! the food is simple but good and that warm drink appreciated.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank stephen813
SpitsbergenTravelCSR, Director of Sales at Hurtigruten Svalbard, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed the Isfjordsafari to von Post, and thank you for sharing your comments here. We hope to see you back on Spitsbergen in the future!

London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Wonders of Pyramiden”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Me and my friend picked an all-day long tour (we booked it at the Radisson hotel), which leaves from Longyearbyen and takes you to Pyramiden, a forgotten Russian town (then back), but there were so much more to see and hear on the way.
The tour is reasonably priced and it includes all transportations, a fantastic tour guide (we had Jim with us, he is a legend and super helpful) who talks about history, nature etc. Hot food on board was also included and they have a small bar too, in case you feel seasick.
It takes about 10 hours, visiting bird cliffs, glacier (once-in-a-lifetime experience) and Pyramiden itself, where you'll be gobsmacked what the Russians have established to make their life bearable in such weather conditions until the end of the '90's... Say hi to Lenins head in the town center and keep an eye out for the arctic foxes too. We saw them, but no polar bears. Which isn't a turn-off as there are so many other things occupying your mind.
Great weather helps too, which thankfully we had.
Try to do at least one of the excursions they offer, all easy to take in and friendly for singles, couples and families too.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Hotaru84
Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us. We will be sure to pass along your comments, and hope to welcome you back to Spitsbergen in the future.
Ghent, Belgium
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“sightseeing tour”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We booked a sightseeing tour at the Spitsbergen travel shop. It was a two hours tour with minibus and like the brochure said: this is a perfect way to get an overview of Longyearbyen and surrounding area. The guide was a pensioner. He was in the army and he could tell us all about Longyearbyen without boring us.
if you go to Spitsbergen travel and ask them what there is to do in Spitsbergen, they give you a lot of possibilities and you can book in advance.

Visited June 2014
SpitsbergenTravelCSR, Director of Sales at Hurtigruten Svalbard, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of our tours here. We will pass your comments along to our team and especially the sightseeing guide, who I know will be glad to hear that you enjoyed his trip.
Bergen, Norway
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Good service”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We booked our flight and hotel via Spitsbergen Travel, and also made arrangements for a dog sledge tour. The staff at the travel agency gave good service. Might be good if the answering machine told when the office is closed, such as at new year and Christmas holidays.

Visited February 2014
Trstenik, Croatia
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 262 helpful votes
“Great experiences, could be organised a bit better”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I booked three trips with Spitsbergen Travel before travelling to Svalbard for Christmas, via their website. They have a good range of winter and summer excursions, with a very easy to use and helpful calendar that shows what trips are on which days during any selected time frame.

I booked snowmobiling for Christmas Day, dog sledding for Boxing Day and a Northern Lights safari for the following weekend.

The two 'hands on' experiences were well organised, with experienced, confident guides. The snowmobiles were superb; proper 2-person ones the size of a small car, which were ideal in the blizzard conditions that were near constant over the Christmas period once you got outside of the lee of the town.

One observation would be a little longer time spent on the introduction, rather than the minimum amount for a safety brief and then 'let's go'. This may well have been because of the inclement weather and the desire to get out & back as quickly as possible but it did all feel a bit rushed. It may also have been because of the number of people participating and the time it would take to get everyone ready and set off on the trip.

Personally, I would rather pay more to have a smaller group/longer trip than the lesser cost of a larger group/smaller trip, when it all feels a bit 'tokenish'. It felt a bit like the most important thing was to be back in time for the next tour to begin.

To be fair, in polar night and a blizzard, you can't exactly venture for miles & miles and I would imagine that in the high season with near constant daylight, there are longer tours, for example to the east coast of Spitsbergen and to Pyramiden. In the weather conditions that were prevalent in December, the experience was probably always going to be limited and what was provided was more than satisfactory.

The administrative organisation could do with some improvement: there appeared to be no real system in place to check that the people who had rolled up for an activity were indeed the correct people from the correct venue and who had paid. There was quite a bit of tooing & froing and phone calls to offices, to check if somebody was indeed meant to be there. I think on one occasion, somebody who wasn't meant to be on the trip ended up on it without paying and it was a bit uncomfortable, as you were thinking 'do they think it's me?'.

I experienced it on the third of my three paid-for trips; I paid for the Northern Light safari in a snowcat at 1600 on a stated day. I had seen the snowcat trundling through the town earlier in the week whilst out walking; it looked like a Bv206 and so I was quite excited about going out in it, as its design meant it would be going outside the town specifically to look for locations to capture the aurora.

So at 1600 when the large Mercedes mini-bus arrived I got on, as there were no other vehicles outside the hotel, thinking it would take us all to the snowcat. I wasn't on the driver's list but I explained that I had booked and paid in advance with Spitsbergen Travel. If it hadn't been a massive faff to remove all my outer clothing & boots and go back to my room, I would have gone to retrieve my receipt to prove it. I also asked if any other trips were due to leave at this time and he said No, substantiated by the lack of a snowcat in the parking lot.

Anyway, as the tour panned out, it turned out I was on the taxi tour and not the snowcat tour. Whilst interesting, it wasn't ideal as I knew most of the history that was discussed and also the mini-bus kept it lights on when stopping to allow people to take photos, which ruined the chance to get decent time exposure shots. OK, in the end it was good and any excursion in this magical environment is pretty special but having paid for something it would have been nice to have ended up getting it. I still have no idea when or even if the snowcat rocked up, as we left at 1611 and no Norwegian is 11 minutes late.

To the taxi tour driver: I apologise. I had booked and paid...just not for your tour and didn't realise this until we were half way through the tour itself. We did however go to mine 7 and the Global Seed Vault, so it all turned out fine.

As tourism increases, so will the requirements of those booking trips & excursions. With Svalbard being a premium destination brand, visitors' expectations will also likely be higher than, say, a tour to the local winery on the Costa Brava, with an all-you-can-taste sampling for EUR10.

Having said that, when one guest on the snowmobile tour asked the question "being nearer the North Pole here, how do you cope with the lighter gravity?" and another, when handed their over-clothing for donning before going snowmobiling; "you mean we are going outdoors?", you do wonder whether the locals shouldn't just paint Disneyworld in Norwegian at the entrance to Mine 2b and charge tourists $1,000 for the chance to see Father Christmas or Glenn Miller.

I intend to come back to Svalbard in the high season and experience its magic in the daylight, with some of the 'summer' excursions. I would certainly book with Spitsbergen Travel again but would make sure that I carried all my reservation & booking confirmations on me.

Visited December 2013