“Give this a miss - what a shame - beautiful view”
Review of Scarriff Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caherdaniel
Scarriff Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Caherdaniel B&B and Inns
Waterford
“Give this a miss - what a shame - beautiful view”
Reviewed August 12, 2009

Worst experience ever. Were told we were staying in an annexe - a miserable converted garage covered in condensation. Had booked dinner but was advised that could not have it later than 8pm as if it was quiet owner would close restaurant and bar. Ended up finding alternative accommodation and returned keys in the morning. Did not bother to complain as it was a pathetic experience. Caherdaniel itself is a beautiful spot. Would highly recommend Derrynane House Hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
York
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Be advised and DON’T order food at this establishment - you will be swindled!

Recently (Aug 2009) booked a table for 5 to have a meal, which clearly was 5 too many for them to cope with in one go. 3 of us got our starters, but the other 2 took a further 15 minutes and then only when I went and reminded them.

For the main course and despite having the waitress repeat the order for steak to be medium rare, it duly arrived last and guess what, yes - very well done. The staff was really surprised when we sent it back and asked for it to be replaced. Needless to say, by the time the new one eventually arrived, the others had all finished. Hopeless! Although I spoke to the manageress about the starters fiasco, we never saw her again – all we got was a different waitress offering the excuse that our waitress was ‘new to the job’.

This place has a great view…but that’s what it trades on. They have a captive trade passing and I’ve no doubt they will have some arrangement with the tour bus companies.

The service was simply terrible, but mainly because of the lack of care by the management. They obviously don’t care, as they know that most of their customers will never pass their way again and so don’t complain – this is disgraceful.

The food was barely ordinary, but we were asked to pay extraordinary prices.

All in all, an extremely disappointing evening, which unfortunately leaves a poor impression of that part of Ireland.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Caherdaniel hotels

Ireland
Reviewed July 21, 2009

This place has a great view…But that’s it I’m afraid. Service is terrible, food is terrible and very pricy. Be prepared to wait and wait and wait a very long time for what will be complexly substandard food. The restaurant is on the Ring of Kerry so it is just passing trade they are after, and complete with tacky gift shop this place personifies the worst of the Irish RIP OFF culture.
Keep Driving into Caherdaniel where you will find The Blind Piper. Good value, good service and very good food.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Limerick
Reviewed July 10, 2009

Hi, went to have a meal in this establishment with my family, The reservation was for 7.45pm and we waited half hour for our order to be taken. The starters arrived half our later, the children were starving and did not get served with the starters as we requested. We finished our starters and waited one hour for the plates to be collected and had to call the staff ( two on duty) several times to remind them to serve us. The food came two hours later with all the dishes steaming hot, obvously everthing had been microwave, steak tough, a disaster, upon complaing there was no manager and did not get any satisafaction, I do not recommend this restaurant (if that what you call it !!! ) to anyone, I think the view is supposed to distract you from the very bad service and microwaved food !!! DISASTER !!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
London
Reviewed October 18, 2008

We were passing this lovely Inn and were compelled to stop to look at The Best View in Ireland. We were greeted by a lovely girl behind the bar, she turned out to be the owner, and we enjoyed a guinness at a window table in the bar. The atmosphere was lovely so we decided to check out the rooms and stay the night. The room though small had a great king size bed and fabulous sea view.
We had dinner in the evening, i had fresh lobster and my partner had monkfish which I tasted, it was really fresh and tasty.
The staff were all so friendly and helpful. Next morning we had a really nice breakfast, I had smoked salmon and my partner a full Irish. We met Maurice in the gift shop and bought some bargains!! He gave us great advice for the rest of our trip.
Definately one of the nicest B&Bs on our holiday in Kerry. We will be back.

• Liked — The king size bed overlooking the best view in Ireland
  • Disliked — Room size
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank cruiseLondon
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Having booked B&B in the Scarriff Inn and having my booking confirmed by email by Katie O'Carroll I wasn't expecting any problems but when we arrived she told us quite rudely that the booking had not been confirmed. This created a very unpleasant situation for us. I was stunned because she had emailed me 5 weeks previously confirming the booking and confirming that she had my credit card details. She denied all this in front of my own group and a group of strangers and challenged me to produce the email. When I got home I was glad to see that I hadn't deleted any of her emails.

We managed to get over this difficulty and enjoyed the views and the food but the incident put a damper on the weekend.

Had to wait 2 hours in the restaurant before anyone took our order.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — Our treatment upon arrival
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank LarryGreg
Ireland
Reviewed July 29, 2008

Having spent the most enjoyable day touring the Ring of King we decided to have our lunch at the Scarriff Inn.....bad idea.

At the deli counter, we enquired if it was possible to order toasted sandwiches. We were curtly told that the only sandwiches available had been pre-made. As they were wrapped in cling-film and did not state what were in the sandwiches, we asked another lady behind the counter if she knew which two were chicken. She was most helpful and got us the sandwiches. Then the woman who had originally been curt told the helpful lady to get out and clear the tables while in the middle of taking our coffee orders. She then rudely said ' you need to tell me what you want to drink for me to charge you'. Having been perturbed by her most unpleasant behaviour we decided that we would leave. The woman's resonse was 'I don't need your business anyway'.

Having walked away feeling that we had been disrespectly treated we asked if we could speak to the manager to advise as this is surely not how someone should treat their customers. Our response was 'I'm the owner, Kate O'Carroll, why don't you write a letter'.

We feel that the way that this woman treated us was unacceptable and ill-mannered. To say we were shocked is an understatement. Would not recommend.

3 Thank eireeireIreland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caherdaniel
Parknasilla Resort & Spa
Wave Crest Caravan & Camping Park
The Olde Forge
The Olde Forge
#3 of 5 in Caherdaniel

Been to Scarriff Inn? Share your experiences!