“nice location”

Hersonissos Village Hotel
Ranked #53 of 172 Hotels in Hersonissos
Reviewed November 22, 2009

Never mind that we had to spend 1st night at the sister hotel due to overbooked hotel, we had fab night in the center where sister hotel was situated. Overall location is good as long as you have your quad bike sparked in front of the door. Hotel was clean and looked after , food was OK. Good value for money I could say!

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 16, 2009

I went to this hotel with my girlfriend and other two friends. We stayed for 11 days. At first site hotel has a wonderfull location on the hill with the view to the see. However everything other is very bad.

The rooms we recieved at first was without a balcony and view and very small. I could open and close doors with the foot from the bed. Shower didn't work and sometimes warm water dissappeared for no reason. Sometimes rooms were very bad smelly because of cleaning.

Every morning we had to wake up until 9am!! so we didn't miss the breakfast. The taste of food and racion is terrible. We had all inclusive but had to eat omlet, ham with cheese, fish fingers and pasta EVERY DAY. Every dinner there were cats around sitting near tables.

Drinks are no better too. No natural juice EVEN FOR PURCHASE. Local greek alkohol drinks are no good, and there was like 3 kinds for purchase. Vodka, metaxa and maybe tekila. No international bear or other good drinks.

For 11 days there were no attractions, concerts or any kind of evening programme.

Hotel says that they have ping pong, tennis, golf and billiard but in reallity billiard was out of order, ping pong was located in basement and very poor condition.

Local beach was like 30 metres long and with coral shore. No good for swimming.

I will never go back to that hotel again.

In conclusion, hotel for very old people who doesn't care about anything, just want to eat junk food and sit near the pool.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ViliusS
Reviewed July 29, 2009

after reading reviews on this site i was dreading my stay at this hotel. However we arrived to find clean, spacious rooms, friendly staff, tasty food with lots of variety and an excellent location. Breakfast, lunch and dinner consisted of a wide variety of food which was all tasty and excellently presented. Staff were more than helpful and seemed to enjoy helping you out. Please don't believe anything you read here, honestly this hotel is amazing.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank t-sambucca
Reviewed June 10, 2009

We visit Hersonissos Village between May 24 and June 7, and we don't understand all the complaints.
Of course the hotel is on a hill, it say so in the desciption!
We get exactly what we expected.
Beautiful panorama, nice and comfortable rooms, greek food and nice crew.
I think you get what you deserved, if you are gentle to people they treat you the same way.
Our visit was great, and the service at the hotel is great. They even had a doctor coming two times a day, that's service!
It's very clean, and cozy.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 1, 2009

We have just arrived from a two-weeks holiday in Hersonissos.
In spite of the fact, that we have read the other reviews about this hotel and have got to know that it's bad, we had already no chance to change anything - because we had already payed for it.
Deep inside having a hope that may be it is not so bad as described, we have come to the hotel. And it WAS a great dissapointment!
The great disaster there was a food. First of all, there was almost no choice, it was almost the same from day to day. The quality of products as well as of the meals was very poor. Food was cheap and didn't taste.
Lunches: nuggets, pommes, carrots from refrigirator and the same greek salat which tasted like nothing. The only thing which was possible to eat was tzatziki- but it's not enouph! I have hoped to see sometime fresh fish- and it was, but so dry and untasty. What was also really unpleasant - there were about 5- 7 dirty cats, which were running around and disturbing the people, but the staff seemed to be ok with this. What was also very suprising, after this terrible lunch all the guests had to clean their plates and bring them to the special carriage themselves. The staff is really lazy there.
Dinner was not better. Almost the same thing. The food was always cold there. It was not possible to choose desert, because the waiters have brought it themselves, and only then, when everybody at the table were ready with eating. It was always ice-cream or cake- terrible and the same each day.
We had all inclusive, but it was, of course the worst one, I have ever had. Small choice of juices (and from concentrate), no cacao during the day. I haven't quiet understood the system with drinks. In the morning there was a tomato juice and during the day already not. The same thing with the apple juice- it was only possible to get it at the bar after 18.00. Wine was the cheapest one. The other alkohol drinks: raki, uzo and brandy. The rest you had to pay.
We were there with a child, he couldn't it there anything, that's why we wanted to change the hotel, we had to pay for it 600 euros more and we were ready to do it, but the General Manager of the Hotel had convienced us to stay, I had also have a talk with the cook, telling him my wishes. It was improved for one day, and then all the same had become as usual - bad.
What is also bad about the hotel- it is on the hill, that makes the way to the beach complicated for old people and children. You have to walk about 10-15 minutes, the road is not straight, you have almost to climb it. Two times a day with a child was not simple.
It is also not near to the city of Hersonissos- 25 minutes to walk, in the dark.
Staff is not unfriendly, but also not friendly. On reception three man were helpful and all the things which I asked them to do were done it time- they were ok. The GM was a very charmant man, friendly man- but it is not enouph to be satisfied with the hotel itself.

The hotel was full of germans, some people from Endland and Holland. The last two days we had spent with polnish people- I don't want to say bad about all polnish people- but these ones were unbelievable- always drunk, were swimming in the pool with clothes, drinking beer at the children playground and shouting bad words.
The rooms were not bad and they were clean and neat, women who cleaned everything were very friendly.
TV didn't work at all these two weeks, we have spent there.

Except of the hotel everything was wonderful in Crete: sea, restaurant (we were there very often although we had all inn), mountans, weather...

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 28, 2008

When I booked this hotel I was a little suspicious. The price was too good to be true. We paid $600 US per person for 2 weeks all inclusive (meals and beverages).
I almost canceled after reading few reviews, but now I am glad I did not do it.

Upon our arrival at the hotel I realised that this place deserves more points. It is true that the hotel is not right on the beach and the rooms are very basic, but this hotl is much nicer than many other places I've been too and that apparently were listed as "top hotels".

Rooms are very simple, but clean and cosy. Each room has satellite TV, airconditioning and fridge. We also had beautiful sea-view balcony. There is lot of green around the hotel buildings, lot of flowers and birds. The entire prorerty is built in typical Greek style (white walls and blue windos and doors). It really gives you the feeling of being in Greece and not anywhere else.
The food was decent. We tried few restaurants around the town and I can tell you the truth the food at the hotel was pretty much the same if not even better.
There was not a big variety of food and drinks that were included in the price were local and not for my taste, but in the town there is plenthy of supermarkets where you can buy your favorite beer, wine or other liquor at a reasonible price and bring it to your room.

The beach is only 5 minutes walk down hill and perhaps 10 minute walk up-hill. It is small and it gets crowded soon. However we took advantage of the rental car and went to different beaches around the island. Crete is very big and I can say that 2 weeks was not enough to visit everything. Car rentals are cheap. You can get an economy car with full insurance for $180 US for a week.

Hersonissos is a party town and do not be surprised to find drunk teenagers wondering in the middle of the road in early morning hours. Some people we met were complaining about the noise, but the advantage of this hotel is that it is not in the middle of the town and it is more quiet.
If you decide not to rent the car you can still walk to the town (10-15 minutes walk) or you can take a cab (6 Euros per ride).
The shopping in the town is good and stores are open till midnight during the summer. English is spoken everywhere as well as German, French and Italian.
We also found the island to be very safe. Some people told us to watch out for the gipsies, but we never had any troubles.

The only advice I would give you is not to take the guided tour to Santorini. You should go on your own if you would like to visit this island. We spent almost the entire day on the bus plus the ferry ride. The ferry takes about 2 hrs each way. If you are going to Sanotrini I would suggest you take the ferry and rent the car in the port. Santorini is a small island and you can drive around it in less than 45 minutes. If you go on your own you will definitely see more and have the opportunity to stop in places you like and for as much as you like.

Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Globalina
Reviewed September 28, 2008

We have just returned from a great holiday at the Hersonissos Village Hotel and felt so strongly that we wanted to put the record straight.
We had a room in one of the older parts of the Hotel and whilst it wasn't ultimate luxury it was kept clean every day, fresh towels were supplied every 2 days (Every day if you ask) and sheets done twice weekly, I later found out that this was the oldest part of the Hotel (There are 3 seperate parts) and is being re-furbished during the close season and the Hotel will be adding 2 more pools as well as the 2 existing and the kiddies pool.
The views from the Hotel are stunning and cannot be beaten, if you get bores of the view there are lots to do and see (If you are hiring a car / quad bike etc great deals in town)
You can go on trips to Santorini, Fishing trips, island trips, you name it you can do it all at reasonable prices.

The Hotel is mainly geared up for families and has a great relaxed atmosphere, the staff are fantastic and anything we asked for we received with no hassle.

Reading the reviews there does seem to be an issue with the food, and I agree that on certain days it could have been better but remember if you are British you are in the minority and the food is catered for Germans and Eastern Europeans.
I have to say though that the food was good and on no days was there nothing we didn't like.
Breakfasts consist of a range of Cereals, Fruit, Bread, Eggs, Grilled Ham, Sausages / Frankfurters, Pastries, Cakes etc, Lunch was Salads, Fresh fish, Meats, Pasta, Burgers, Cakes, Ice Creams, Fruit etc
Dinner was similar to Lunch but the meat would be Lamb Shanks, Pork / Lamb chops, Grilled Salmon Steaks etc with better salads and a much better selection in general.

The AI drinks were OK, the Brandy was great, ouzo and raki also available, the beer was good and whilst the wine was not to my taste this would be the only thing I think the hotel needs to improve on.

There is however no animation or music / disco in the evening so you will have to be content with your own company or make friends, there is a great Cretan Evening every 2 weeks which is free and worthwhile getting a table booked, every other week there is a BBQ as well as a Cretan Eveni ng whih costs 15 euro's but is magnificent and would grace any good cruise ship dinner.

So in summary we had a great time, in a good Hotel with good food, remember you get what you pay for and whilst there are other 4 star hotels out there they are usually £150 more each per week, (I know because I have checked) and I would not hesitate to go again and I usually go on cruise ships so am used to luxury

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hersonissos
Hersonissos Maris Hotel and Suites
#64 of 172 in Hersonissos
Semiramis Village
Semiramis Village
#121 of 172 in Hersonissos

Been to Hersonissos Village Hotel? Share your experiences!