“Enjoyable Stay at Meditteraneo Hotel - great All Inclusive Experience”
Review of Mediterraneo Hotel

Mediterraneo Hotel
Ranked #45 of 172 Hotels in Hersonissos
Reviewed August 7, 2010

I have recently returned from a week's holiday at the Mediterraneo Hotel - 27 July - 3 Aug. I appreciate that we were lucky with the room location, so can understand previous negative comments from guests who were further away from the facilities. The hotel is quite spread out. We booked a Junior Suite and this was located in the main block. There was a sea view and we could easily walk down to the pool. One negative thing about the junior suite was that the air conditioning unit was positioned at the edge of the main bedroom and there was no unit in the other room. We left the door and wall hatch open between the 2 rooms at all times so that the air conditioning could reach the other bedroom, but it took time for that bedroom to cool down at night. The rooms were cleaned every day. I couldn't hear any noise at night as the air conditioining above my head was so loud! My scoring on the rooms is low because of the air conditioning issue but the rest of the hotel facilities I felt were good.

Travelling in July, we really appreciated the shade in one of the pool gardens. The pool garden nearest the hotel buiding has an area with lots of palm trees, so you are guarenteed a shady spot at any time of day. There are also umberellas around the pool, but these are less effective. The other pool - further away I think is better, but there is less shade in the garden area as there are just umberellas. However there are always shady areas with chairs and tables to sit near the bars in both pool areas. We only had trouble one morning finding sunbeds for us all. The rest of the week we managed to find enough. There is also a lovely sea breeze in the gardens and super views of the sea from both pool areas.

We loved the food and thought it was delicious. There was always something different to try every day and plenty of choice. We could always find a table and get our food quite easily, even though it was busy. It was nice to sit outside to eat. We've never been to an All Inclusive Hotel before and we couldn't fault it. 11.00am - 11.00pm is plenty enough time - there's only so much you can eat or drink! It seemed such a luxury to help yourself to a coffee and a beer whenever you like and ask for wine with your meal without having to pay extortionate prices. The all inclusive also includes brandy, ouzo and something else and we got into a nice routine of having a brandy and coke on our balcony in the evening before going down for dinner. The girls loved being able to help themselves to soft drinks whenevery they liked. We found the pool bar staff mainly helpful and friendly and hard working.

We went with our 2 daughters aged 12 and 14 and we already knew that there were only 2 evenings of entertainment so we made sure we were t here to see them (look out for posters in the hotel lobby on the day itself). The entertainment is in the pool bar area and there is a outdoor theatre area, so great to be able to see everything clearly and be outside. We didn't mind not having entertainment every evening as it was so nice just to sit outside or to walk to nearby areas.

The hotel is located between Hersonissos and Stalis. You can either walk into Hersonissos or catch a bus. We walked into Stalis one evening and really enjoyed it. We also walked to a nearby village up in the hills one evening - Koutoutlafari and would recommend that - lovely place and not far to walk. All you do is turn left outside the hotel, walk along the road to the supermarket and turn left there and walk uphill. We did catch a taxi to Malia one evening out of curiousity but didn't enjoy the experience. There is a beach close by (turn left, walk along until you get to underpass and the beach is close by - well signed). We went late afternoon and enjoyed swimming in the sea.

The hotel reception staff gave us some useful advice. We found them more helpful than our tour guide! They gave us the confidence to visit Knossus - a famous ruin - by catching 2 buses and it was all much easier than I thought it would be. Bus Stops are numbered along the main road. The nearest to the hotel is No. 24 (Star Beach Water Park Resort). You get on a bus to Heraklion, get off at the Bus Terminus, and catch a bus to Knossus. Everything is well signed and everyone speaks English. Bus fares are cheap. The whole journey cost a family of four 32 Euros. Journey took about 2 hours each way. Buses are air conditioned and the journey was very pleasant - good to see other areas of Crete. If we had gone at a cooler time, I would have explored more of the island by bus.

All in all we had a great time at the Mediterraneo hotel and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Bmthresident
There are newer reviews for Mediterraneo Hotel

Reviewed August 6, 2010

have just arrived back home after a weeks stay all inclusive at this hotel and it was faultless. had read some of the reviews before leaving and was worried as there were a lot of very negative comments..... totally unfounded in my opinion!! have 2 boys aged 16 and 18 and they cant wait to go back. the staff were very helpful, nothing was too much trouble. it was about a 20 minute walk to the town which in the intense heat was a bit tiring but well worth the trip... the shop on the hotel site sells everything you could need without ever having to leave the premises anyway. the rooms were spotless and the aircon was great...could not have slept without it. you did have to get up early to get a sunbed tho but on holiday thats not a problem.. the pools were gorgeous and clean too. the food was gorgeous...loads of it and always fresh..tho the germans dont seem to understand the meaning of queueing and what excuse me means!!! the boys hired quad bikes for the week and that was great for them as they went a few miles down the road to malia for parties...good for me too as when i wanted to go to town they gave me a lift on the bike...quite an experience!!! all in all i would say ignore the bad reviews...some people go out of there way to complain...this was a brilliant holiday and we will go back again next year.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank soopsbond
Reviewed August 5, 2010

The Medditerraneo in Crete

I have made a resolution to try not to seem too angry but objective about the Hotel Medditerraneo that I have just returned from in Crete so here goes…

The hotel is made of several units of reinforced concrete structures - which typifies much of Medditerranean building techniques - but not - dare I say `decent hotels`.

The reception is `quite` respectable - proudly displaying it`s four star logo - amidst its` décor of marble and neatly painted white walls. You are greeted by ( in my case) a very competent Greek lady - whom helped me on several occasions whilst there, whom spoke Three languages fluently that I heard from her ( and probably more )..

Unfortunately that is where the similarity to Four star / Four Star plus hotels I have stayed in round the world rapidly diminished - there was one lift that was readily accessible that was`nt immediately obvious.

It was left to the residents to find their own rooms and to get their own luggage to there - which meant for me lugging cases up and down passageways and some stairs - as the building I had been sent to was an additional building that seemed to have been `pasted` on the side of the original - with no real attempt to interface walkways and steps to reduce the risk of hazard ( had it been risk assessed - I doooon`t think so !!!!!!! )

The rooms: a fair size - extremely plain `white` and badly finished - you could see on the ceiling where the plasterboards had been fitted, no attempt had been made to seal their edges - a skim coat of plaster wouldn`t have gone amiss - yes it did make the room appear as if it had been unfinished.

The balcony was fair - bearing in mind the structures were effectively terraced , this balcony was effectively at ( local) ground level - which affectively meant attempted invasion by little ants - no big deal.
There was no privacy from the adjoining balcony whatsoever - not even a `privacy screen` - let alone something to ensure security.

The toilet come bathroom was finished to a standard of an average DIY`er and very small - yes in fact too small - it should have been twice the size to adequately full fil it`s function – and compare adequately with other even basic bathrooms around the world.

How did it compare with a UK Premier travel inn which I understand are predominantly 3 Star. A uk Travel Inn is probably TEN TIMES BETTER!

Strange I thought at reception - `Four Star` remember, when I queried what was to be done with toilet paper etc, I was told not to flush it - to place in bin which would be cleared every day ( THIS wasn`t cleared every day!!) Of course the point I am making here is you expect modern plumbing in 4 star establishments not ancient stuff that can`t cope.

The Kitchen coped remarkably well with the numbers for which it had to cater - the standard of the food I would state was ADEQUATE - nothing special.

However credit must be given to the service staff whom were extremely hard worked - and kept going tirelessly - it seemed.

However we could have done without them arguing amongst themselves - they were quite happy to shout at each other in argument in front of their guests - which wasn`t wanted or appreciated.

They also seemed to have memory problems, or perhaps they favored some guests in place of others, drink orders and drink deliveries didn`t coincide. They really did seem to look after their favourite guests - not good !!

The restaurant was about one sixth I would say, of the size it should have been, it really was like the `January Sales` to try and get and keep a table to eat at.
The swimming pools – Two of them generally accessible, were vastly undersized for the amount of guests they had in at any one time – and by virtue of that were virtually unusable by most. There was the plague of towels on the sun beds that were available ( about 40 beds in all I would say ) by the `usual Europeans` I would say – but of course that was expected-so no big deal !
No information was made available for internet guests, whether travel agent reps were better informed I don`t know.
There was a fuel strike on last week, I could have done with someone telling me that rather than paying money to a `Roguish` local firm (careera )for renting a jeep and then having to get really `heavy` with them to the point of threatening reporting to the local police if they didn`t get me fuel or refund my rental. The vehicle I had from them broke down on the first day, and once jump started I actually repaired it myself, as Careera`s recovery bloke had no tools with him – it was merely a `hand tight` battery connection. ( I borrowed a tool ).
All in all not a very good experience.
Would I go to Medditerraneo again – Would I go back to Crete or even Greece again, not at the same price - £700 for 7 days was a rip off!!!
Even a Polish guy who was there ( remember not long out of the communist block ) said to me the place should be 2.5 star not Four star – he said he had spent a lot of money and was disgusted by the setup.
There was trouble flying in and flying out of the Country – once on board the aircraft things were `ok`.
This was the first time in my life, ( having at this stage been to a lot of places around the world ) I was relieved to set foot back in England.
It wasn`t appreciated in any shape or form to have a hotel booking commence Seventeen hours before getting into the country and effectively get chucked out of the accomodation Seventeen hours before the home plane was scheduled to fly back - Thank you `Fleetway`!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank sparkle032
Reviewed August 5, 2010

i would like to say how good this hotel is! Im a teenager and loved staying here :) i went to crete with my family and i would definately say that this is family friendly hotel. We stayed here the last week of July We got to the hotel at about 4 in the morning and although we had to go to the room ourselves we got told very good and clear instructions of where to go. On our way to the room the night guard saw us and helped us with our cases.
The facilities of this hotel were good and the cleanlisness was amazing. To say that it is a big hotel the cleaners did a amazing job of keeping the hotel clean. Normally the pool toilets are quite dirty at hotels but the pool toilets here were clean.
The entertain was good within the week we stayed there was 3 shows that last about 1hour-1hour 30.
The hotel also had internet access and was 1 euro for 15 mins.
As for the staff well they were all friendly and helped you as much as they could. One waiter who worked in the bar and restaraunt was so friendly with everyone especially kids. There was a number of times that me and my family talked to him and a number of times i saw him talking to other people too. The reception staff are also helpful. Whilst i was there we started talking to another family who one night got disturbed until about 6am by a group of lads. They were drunk and loud keeping people awake. They went to complain to the reception staff and it soon got sorted. The family got moved rooms and the lads got a strong warning and they were kept an eye on all week. The manager was also very helpful. I one day cut my leg (my own fault not the hotels) and the man at reception gave me all i needed to sort it out.
whislt staying here a woman came with a dog which was quite funny but everyone just got on as normal.
The restaurant i found was very clean and although it was a little bit cramped at the food area people formed a ordilly queue. There was signs above the food saying what it was.
The restaurant staff were very good and always asked you at dinner and tea what you wanted to drink. As for people complaining about the traffic noise whilst your trying to relax by the pool, i hardly noticed the traffic noise because like i said its a family hotel so your going to hear kids sometimes and theres also music playing at the bar.
Aswell as for people complaining about having to pay for drinks after 11pm, if you have any sense then you go and get a few drinks before they stop them. and the bar is open between 11am-11pm and if you havent had enough to drink between then well theres something wrong. the hotel is a 15 minute walk to the town of hersonissos but its not to close that you can hear all the noise. Theres a beach very close to the hotel which is good. Theres alot of car, bike etc. rental places near the hotel if you want to go places like heraklion or agios nicolios. Theres also a bus that takes you places like that.
On our last day we was leaving saturday morning around 1am and we got kicked out our room at 12pm friday dinner. I would say this is the only bad thing about the hotel. Although theres a room for people to put their cases and toilets and a shower room for people who are leaving. so really at 12pm we put our stuff in the luggage room and went
to hersonissos came back, had a shower, had our tea and did what we normally did at night so really its wasnt that bad :)
I would definately go back to this hotel and so would my family. on the way to the hotel from the airport some of the hotels we saw were in a crap location and looked pretty rubbish aswell so to come to a hotel like this you are very lucky because it is a very, very good hotel! I cant wait till we book our holiday for next year because i will be asking to go back to the Mediteranneo Hotel :) By the end of the week i didnt want to leave the hotel i could have happily stayed for another week :)
So to anyone who is staying at the Mediteranneo Hotel soon then i hope you enjoy your stay as much as i did.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Laurennn_96
Reviewed August 3, 2010

I travelled with my wife to the Mediterraneo for a weeks end of July beginning of August 2010. The rooms were fine cleaned daily with fresh towels daily and sheets changed 3 times during our stay. The pool area was fine sunbeds a little dated but useable. food was another thing. - quite dissappointing - the servery was very small and cramped which made actually seeing what was displayed difficult, you were constantly elbowed in the back by fellow guests trying to see what was on offer. Bananas and apples were peeled and left on trays which meant they had turned brown and were not very appertizing. You needed to check your crockery as much of it was chipped/damaged.
The staff were helpful if a little scuffy.
All inclusive - not what we have previously experienced at other 4 star hotels. It was all help yourself (no waiter service) only beer and very cheap soft drinks available (no diet varities) The coffee was help yourself from a large urn which was put out at 11 in the morning and left till empty again we have been used to going to the bar and when asking for coffee the waiter has got this "fresh" for you from the machine. The snacks again were put out at 11 either in the cold fridge or in a hot plate ( the sort used to keep pies/fish hot in fish shops) not very appertizing and left there until they were gone which was often a considerable amount of time.
The location of the hotel was great for us as we like walking and we walked every afternoon to the next town Stalis which was a pleasant walk and in the evening we would walk the other way into Hersonissos 10 - 15 mins this was quite busy during the evening but shops were ok and no hassle when looking at the goods.
In the staffs favour when we complained about the disco being held in the next room to ours at 5.30 am (when the group of lads had returned from the nightclub) staff immediatly dealt with this and the noise stopped.
A couple had even taken their small dog on holiday with them and they brought this into the outside dining area every morning and evening and sat it on a chair in a sort of dog bag but proceeded to feed it from their plates and no one battered an eyelid.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2010

well me and my friends wre originally staying in malia but hotelwas disgusting!! (meropi hotel) and we were transfered to the mediterraneo which was absolutely perfect! hotel staff are lovely! cannot get a better bunch of staff, hotel extremelly clean! food not the best but is still good, pools are great hotel facilities are sound and rooms are clean tidy and very nice defonately a must stay hotel!!

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 14, 2010

Good points: Beautiful location! Right by the Hersonissos strip-not too far to walk but not close enough to hear all the noise. Own little rocky beach just minutes away. Stunning views. Decent food. Plenty of free drinks. Generous measures of brandy! Restaurant staff very friendly (apart from chef see below.) Clean rooms-cleaned everyday. Large rooms, light and airy. Big balcony. Gardens for our balcony. Pools clean (saltwater-though not strong) and really quite pretty with a little bridge and lit up at night.
Staff were really friendly-those in the restaurant and bars anyway. Had a fantastic time.

Some bad points were the somewhat unfriendly reception staff. We arrived at 5.30am and were made to find our own room...however throughout the week we saw new arrivals being escorted! Were forced to check out at 12pm, despite not actually leaving the hotel until the next day. Beware of one of the chefs-he walked into both me and my boyfriend, and burnt my arm with a metal tray. Can be a little tedious wondering what to do after you've eaten.

However, if you are looking for a relaxing and stress free holiday this is perfect. You dont have to wonder where you're going for dinner, and you dont have to just eat one thing. Unlike previous reviews I've read, there is a HUGE range of food. There are a lot of speciality greek dishes and the main dishes change each day. The food is really quite healthy. I ate quite heartily but it was all good food.Not of the same standard as some of the restaurants but not bad at all. There is plenty of free drinks, between 11am and 11pm. Its not a problem with drinks having to be p[aid for after 11pm as everyone simply stocks up on drinks before this time! Theres a little shop on sight with some nice things-very friendly lady there.

Basically, we had a great time. Few bugbears with some of the staff, but the majority were really friendly and helpful.

One pointer-if you book with a package holiday, don't go on their excursions. They cost A LOT and the same (if not better) trips can be found in the town for half the price.

Have fun!!!!