we are back a week after our 10 day holiday in Crete looking at the Aldemar website wanting to book a return holiday later this year. We will try another hotel but our stay here at the Knossos Royal was wonderful. i want to run through each area starting with reception. The staff are really professional, service quick and efficient, nothing too much trouble. The food in the restaurant wonderful and really fresh. The hotel was quiet during our stay with lesiure visitors but the hotel caters for conferences and there were a couple arriving throughout our stay which made things busier in the restauarant but it would have been too quiet without the extra guests. The waitresses were good, sometimes a little slow but this depended on where you sat. you are offered bottled wine at the table as part of AI which to be fair was local but quite nice. Kids could have cartons of orange and the food was really nice for the kids, if they eat only pasta which a lot tend to opt for when on holiday this is great as theres a choice of 3 or 4 different sauces and variations of pasta. The kids love the fresh pancakes also made every mealtime. The hotel main bar service is pretty bad (especially if you have your AI wristband on as paying customers tend to jump the queue, even though AI have already paid up front). One thing that did stand out one night was we had ordered cocktails on our AI wristbands and they didnt look anything like the cocktails being served to another couple parting with 16 euros at the bar which was disappointing to see. entertainment was good and was delivered nightly by the animation team. the animation team work really hard and are very professional. The team always smile and love the kids. Edgar is the leading team member and is really great and Andrea is also really good. The rooms are really nice and have everything needed. Housekeeping is the best we've had in a long time. The kids club wasnt good at all. The facilities are all there its the staff that need training that causes the problem. The booking in and out system isnt rigourous enough. Theres a table of activity daily that doesnt seem to be followed all the time and if collage and colouring is your kids thing then thats fine. We felt we couldnt leave our 5 year old for more than a couple of hours. the staff speak all launguages and are good with the children but theres no real structure as the staff double up as reps for the animation team and share the childcare day responsbilities on a rota it seems. The hotel is about a half hour walk along a costal path into the town. the town is expensive to eat and drink, reflecting hotel bar prices. if you were to go away as a family i cant imagine how anything other than an AI option is the way to go with drinks reaching 5 and 6 euros and lunch in the town starting from around 9 euros pp. The hotels facilites are good but the beach is shingle and quite small. The pools are saltwater and the pool bar service is excellent - all the bars are good around the complex apart from the main bar which is terrible. The spa isnt located in the hotel Knossos Royal but you can arrange a minibus to take you to next door where its located - this surprised me as i believed i had booked into a hotel with spa facilities. We were told our 5 year old wouldnt be allowed to the spa with us to swim in the pool, no children which wasnt the case at the last spa resort we stayed. We didnt think the hotel was 5 star it was more like a decent 4 star but i think thats what you tend to get in Greece. We wouldnt hesitate returning again if a good enough offer was advertised and would recommend the hotel. Just one last point the gym and indoor pool is situated in a building which also contains the nightclub. The gym is fantastic with loads of equipment but the indoor pool is awful and really old fashioned.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The mythical realm of King Minos, blessed by the gods of the sun and the sea, is today as proud as a fortress and as welcoming as an embrace. It is also home to a sumptuous palace that makes an ideal destination for any family holiday. At the Knossos Royal Village, time moves at a different pace: in elegant and comfortable rooms with incomparable views, in the azure sea and crystal-clear pools, at superb sports facilities and matchless restaurants, the pleasure and relaxation never end. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Bookgreece.com, Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Aldemar Knossos Royal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aldemar Knossos Royal Village Hotel Chersonisos
- Aldemar Knossos Royal Village Hersonissos
- Knossos Royal Village
- Aldemar Knossos Royal Crete, Greece