“Not great”

Ranked #139 of 171 Hotels in Hersonissos
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Not great”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We arrived here at about 1 in the morning. The man in reception couldnt find our booking. Not great when you have a 5 year old! The bloke was miserable and clearly didnt want to be there, although when he eventually found our booking we were given a lift in hotel mini bus to our room. As stated in all other reviews this hotel is at the top of a VERY steep hill and in 35 degree heat was really hard work. Which was annoying when the animation crew were on as the music was played louder than any rock concert iv ever been to. That loud that you just couldnt talk to the person next to you. It would have been nice to go for a nice stroll down into the resort but with the hill and a 5 year old just wasnt always possible. The food was a nightmare! Our entire family lived on Spag Bol for the week. Breakfast was very strange (not sure if its what eastern europeans eat) But scrammbled eggs with long spaggetti in it?? or beans with carrots in? The all inc was strange, we always go on all inc holidays and have never seen such basic programme. only beer, wine and ouzo. No ice cream for kids not even to pay for. No snacks through out the day, Just cake at 4ish which did not look good. My main complaint on this hotel would be the loudness of the music, I am only 34 but too much for me. Room was fine. Barmen were strange! you could only get 2 beers at a time which is fair enough but it really depended on which barman you got and what mood they were in as to how many you really got! We really enjoyed Crete. The resort was nice and all the greeks we met away from the the hotel were lovely.I WOULD DEF NOT RECCOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ENGLISH PEOPLE.

Room Tip: Just dont bother, There are plenty of nice hotels here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Pipgibbs79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

We have been here since the 10th sep go home Thursday . if you have children there is nothing for them lucky to get juice some mornings no coffee hotel guests have had to clear a table to eat a meal food not nice ok for Eastern Europeans what this hotel caters for , down stairs 15 information books 5 diffrent languages none in English I asked a rep for advice on day trips he said I only deal with Russians . Nothing to do at the hotel of a night u have to go in town up and down a big steep hill or pay 7 euros for a taxi , no snacks through out day just stale cake at 4 pm always people complaining in reception I wish I would of taken more notice of reviews I have lived on salads my husbands will eat anything and one night he said it wasn't edibil we hired a car for 3 days seen lovely places Bali beach lovely spinalongha trip a must overall wish took more notice and never booked here again this is for English just eastern eurepeons

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank carol594

Travelers are raving about these Hersonissos hotels

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at Eri Sun from 12 till 19 of August and i have to say that dispite of bad reviews we have spent a great vacation. The location of the hotel is great because situated on a hill, has a great view especially in the night where you can see the whole hersonissos lighted. The hotel maybe it is not a 4 stars hotel but has great advantages: always clean rooms, big and clean pools, animation programm that rocks for the kids, helpfull receptionist (maria and eva) and a finally a great trully great manager (he was always there when we needed him dispite the fact that he was the driver of the shuttle bus or the maitre in the restaurant or the bartender sometimes...). We had a great time. Thank yoy Eri Sun!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank georgepik
Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I have just returned from a week away at this hotel. Overall, this was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. There is no customer service what so ever. The reception staff are rude, ignorant and unhelpful and I witnessed 'slanging matches' between members of staff in the main reception area. On 2 occasions Maria was involved. My room, the bath room was filthy. The bath hadn't been cleaned and neither had the top of the bin. The grouting around the bath was black and I was given a bath towel with a hole in it. The front door had a hole in it and inside the door frame was non extistant. The bedding was stained and the TV didn't work on arrival. My holiday rep tried to send messages to me through the reception, I didn't get them. The rep had to contact me directly. I had to keep 'badgering' the staff for faxes I was expecting for excursions I had booked as I didn't trust them to pass them onto me. In fact at the end of the trip, it transpires that my return plane tickets were placed into the bin along with other guests return flight tickets. Not only this, my ticket was given to another guest who were on the same flights as me! This the holiday company are treating as 'BREACH OF CONFIDENTIALITY'. The air con remote controls were removed from the room, as it was 'end of season' but nothing was said to me by the hotel at all. The remote just vanished from the room. The food was 'dreadful'. The meat served was full of bones and fat/gristle. The foods were repeated and sometimes the foods were not labelled. The all inclusive drinks were awful. The cheapest wine was served. The cool soft drinks were too sweet. The hotel is situated at the top of a very steep hill. It takes 10 mins to walk down and if very hot and if you are carrying shopping, it could take upto 30 mins as you have to keep stopping because of the heat. The roads could be slippy so no walking around in high heels for females. The layout for the hotel is good but no atmosphere from the staff working in it at all. When I checked out, I asked to leave my luggage in the luggage room. This is situated downstairs at the front of the hotel next to the lounge room. The luggage room is sign posted and it has NO LOCKED DOOR. The cases are on view to everyone who enters that lounge room. It is not far from the main entrance to the hotel. I have been on 4 holidays on my own now, and this one is the worst ONLY because of the hotel and its staff, It is definately not a 4 star hotel. I wouldn't give it a 0.4 star to be honest. An absolute HOLE. It's filthy, it has no atmosphere and the staff are unwelcoming, unsupportive and ignorant. A HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE PLACE and it should be closed down.

Room Tip: ....dont book this hotel, end of story.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Rebecca H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I have just come back from a package holiday in Crete. I requested a nice 4 star all inclusive hotel. That was fairly quiet.

In summary:
3 star surroundings and 2 star accommodation.
Food was terrible, poor quality, with no flavour or taste.
Drinks choice in the all inclusive range is almost zero.
The swimming pools are all salt water.
Pool toilets smell and look like the local sewage factory.
Employees (apart from one receptionist) have no personality and make you feel like you are putting them out.
The gym is full of old weights in a dark non air con room with 2 cross trainers from the 70's that where rusty and broken.

Explanation of the above:

We arrived at 0530hrs in the morning, it was still dark and the lights to the approach of the hotel was on. It looked fabulous. Everyone on the coach thought so too.
That was until I walked into the reception, which was barren and drab, so I immediately started to wonder what the rest of the hotel was like. The night receptionist was obviously tired and hated his job, in his jeans and black t shirt.
He showed us to our room which was at the top of the hill, not a drama as I am physically fit. However if you where older, had difficult walking or in a wheel chair, you would not make it. The gradient is very steep. Ladies cannot wear heels up and down the hill. However it is amazing for doing hill reps in the morning.
The room was small, drab, tired, dated with marked sheets that did not get changed during our 7 day stay. One of the bed side tables had been ripped out. There was a standalone fridge with an old grey portable TV (again from the 70's) with a battered remote that did not work, sat on it.
The shower room looked like the local cowboys had fitted it. The tiles under the taps had been chiselled away to fit the taps and jagged gaps where left behind. The toilet cistern lid was cracked, straight across, however it still flushed. The only light was the one next to the mirror, which gave little light at all. The toilet was so close to the shower that you could take your shower whilst sat on it. Probably a fail safe for disabled visitors, who knows.
All the paint work through out was badly marked and stained, (walls, doors and furniture).
The towels where changed when ever you left them on the floor, which was good, however they where grubby.
I have stayed in 5, 4 and 3 star hotels all over the world. Indeed we met a couple that was staying in a 5 star a couple of miles away. The difference in these two hotels was astronomical. Thomson holidays probably have not visited this site since they first signed up to send people there.
The hotel was predominantly a German, Russian and Polish holiday location. Which might sound like I have a problem with that. I don't. I lived in Germany for a few years. However the hotel catered for these visitors in the restaurant. I love trying new food and experimenting, however it had no flavour. The cuts of meat and chicken where poor, full of bones and fat. It was a buffet with plenty of food, but get there early otherwise you will walk into just a mash of food in containers after everyone has been in and helped themselves. The feta cheese is lovely, however the sliced cheese again has no flavour and the ham is spam. There is no food at the pool apart from cake at 1600hrs but again, get there early or it will be all gone.
The selection of drinks in the all inclusive package is weak beer, cheap red and white wine, ouzo and brandy, plus soft drinks and coffee. NO cocktails are included. All inclusive drinks finish at 2200hrs. Not a drama for me as I was not there to party but the odd cocktail would have been nice.
The only bar on the whole site apart from the restaurant which was only open during meal times was the pool bar, this was also the childrens night entertainment bar. So if your happy to listen to the birdy song and bob the builder in German with your cheap Wine, its the place for you. Otherwise the small harbour in the town is a better place to spend your evening and money. The starlight restaurant in the harbour is delicious. Food prices are acceptable but drinks are a little excessive. Still worth it.
There are 3 swimming pools. The main one with a bar and music. The childrens pool and water park (3 slides) are next to it. There is another one above the restaurant which is quieter but there is no bar. You have to walk to the other side of the complex for a drink. There are toilets at the pools, however they smell horrendously and the bins are always over flowing with soiled toilet paper as you are not allowed to flush it down the toilet.
The hotel does not come across as a professional run establishment where the employees are concerned. I do not know if its a family business or what, but apart from the one day receptionist who was very helpful. The rest (bar staff, restaurant staff and receptionists) obviously thought it was a chore being there as I cant remember seeing one smile from any of them.
Lastly is the gym. It is not a gym, it is a weights room. There is no aircon and it is dark as it is under the hotel with glass doors at the front. The weights where old and the only two aerobic machines there, was two very basic, very old cross trainers of which where broken. One was rusty with the pedal broken off.

On the plus side:
The harbour is approx. 1.5 miles away and costs Euros 8 to get there in a taxi. The harbour is lovely. With lots and lots of restaurants over looking the sea.
The Sissi boat trip was nice, however go on the pirate ship as it has more room on it. The Maxima restaurant at the bottom of Sissi harbour is welcoming, with good food, a great view of the whole harbour and slightly cheaper than the other restaurants on the sea front.
The Finiki horse riding was a good day out. It is for non riders or basic riders. It is a slow walk up a hill in the country side. However Eddy and the owner was very funny and the food at the ranch once you got back was very delicious, authentic Greek. I wanted to take the cook home.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view. They all face the sea, however only the top floor (third) has a sea view as the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank schler s
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We have just got back and we are not fussy family at all, I have 3 children and even my kids wanted to leave the food is terrible nothing and the staff are very unhelpful, my husband asked the waiter where the knives and forks were when we went for our 1st meal there and he shrugged his shoulders and walked off !! We paid for a family room and were given a very small 1 bedroom, we are a family of 5, after complaint they did move us to the room we had paid for, and that was just bad there was no plugs in the sink or bath tub the shower curtain or screen always ended up everything soaking wet, good luck with getting served with drinks only one bar wiich is the pool bar and at the night u have no chance because all inclusive runs out at 10pm if that's what u can call it,one member staff did state that this hotel does not cater for the English !! Save your money I would rather gone to pontins !!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Kmpowell
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Just got back (3/09/2013), absolutely hated every minute, apart from 1 decent member of staff (maria), they have no time for you, totally unhelpful, food the same everyday, same sheets and towels for the whole 2 weeks. Im not a fussy person but this is taken the buscuit. I will be honest, i think auschwizt would be more welcoming.
But dont be put off by CRETE or HERSONISSOS, lovely island, lovely resort, but im sure there are far better complexes to stay at.

Room Tip: not all rooms have a/c in proper working order or you have to pay extra for it
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank MarkFaichen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hersonissos
Semiramis Village
#58 of 171 in Hersonissos
Mistral Bay Hotel
Mistral Bay Hotel
#64 of 94 in Agios Nikolaos

Been to Eri Sun Village Water Park? Share your experiences!