“Excellently located cute villas with very friendly staff!”
Review of Papadakis Villas

and 1 more site!
Papadakis Villas
Ranked #33 of 171 Hotels in Hersonissos
“Excellently located cute villas with very friendly staff!”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed here for one week - departing August the 13th. We stayed in room 21 and although the bathroom wasn't very nice and the shower a nightmare (leaked all over the floor after each shower) the room was spacious with all the things needed and a cute courtyard out front. On arrival the staff could not have been more helpful we were told about the local information over a complimentary drink!
The villas are located half way up a hill, which I have to say, is the perfect location as you are half way between two VERY different places! At the bottom of the hill you have what can only be described as Blackpool with the sun! It was busy and full of idiots, shop ranging from sex shops to beautiful jewellers and plenty of bars and restaurants (some nice, most not), however fear not, because up the hill (at the top, left and right) is a completely different holiday. There is a beautiful strip with traditional restaurant (so many you couldn't visit them all in a month) along with this there is a range of bars and shops! We ate up here nearly every night and although it is not by the sea you have got a stunning view of the town. One if the best nights we had was on our final night, when we went to the old town (top of the hill, walk right and just keep going, on and on for about 25 minutes until you hear the music) there is a small square that comes alive every Monday night where there is live music, plate smacking, dancing and all the food you could possibly eat. A tricky amazing Cretan night!!!! - a must!!!
Coming back to the hotel another enjoyable night was when we the staff threw a weekly FREE night where the food, music and drinks were plenty full!? Overall we have had a fantastic holiday! A perfect little find in a exclave location! I would definitely recommend these villas to friends and family!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Dvickers99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Polish first
chester
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Im sharing my review to help others to choose the right holiday for them. We visited Papadakis in June/July this year. Overall experience was terrible. The place outside is pretty but inside its filthy and i dont use that word lightly. Maria and Kistas the owners need to understand these reviews are from one holidaymaker to another and whilst they have been given constructive feedback they dont take it - well here goes:-
good points are the outside communal areas and location between the villages; the bbq; Yannis the bar fella; and the steps leading out of the villas.
the bad points where do i begin.... 1. The greeting upon arrival was curt and brief 2. The room was basic which we have no issue with but very dirty. The cleaner was rubbish despite what Maria says, less time spent making excuses and more time should be spent by them ensuring guests are happy. 3. Food was fresh but hardly any choice. Yes its fresh but the idea is to buy more when you run out not just say weve run out. 4. the pool is tiny and dangerous for any children. 5.location too noisy from mopeds screeching up hill all day and night 5. service poor. bedding towels bins not changed enough every 4 days not adequate for holiday. Maria says bins changed more every day we and others know thats not true.

Like many others we had awful time and i wish more people would use trip advisor so we all choose the right holiday. This place isnt terrible but its dirty and run by very lazy owners. Maria is rude and Kostas dismissive unless your spending lots of money in their bar. There are cheaper places in Crete that are run professionally and are clean thats where we will go in future. I could go on with this review but i think its clear this is an apartnent to avoid!! .

• Stayed June 2013
7 Thank julie j
papadakisvillas, Owner at Papadakis Villas, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear guest
I can't say thank you for your review because honestly I don't know why you are writing all these and where all this anger comes from. I could appreciate your comments if they were meant politely for the sake of the travelers or our service to them.
I totally deny all your comments as non of this is reallistic.
It is very obvious that you have a personal problem with our business, my partner and myself. I reasure you that I have no reason to lie about how often we change our bins or towels as from my long experience in tourism lies can not get you anywhere. As far as I know, and trust me I spend every single day in my business, the cleaner is following my advise which has been the same for the last seven years.If we make a mistake-that possibly we do- we are mature enough to accept it and take critisism for it. I don't even know who you are as nobody has come to me for any of the things you are mentioning. Sorry it's not my problem if you wish for a quite place and you visit one of the most busy areas in crete at the pick of the season! Our pool is deep and there is a sign that we are obligated by the low to use so we make sure our guests realise it. It's a different thing to say deep and a different thing to say dangerous! The words you are using to critisize my partner and myself are far away from our philosophie for life and I will not follow the same path. I choose to show understanding and compassion and I wish you to find whatever makes you happy in the future. I also want to say to all the future or past guests of Papadakis villas that no matter how good customers you are at the bar if you are not a nice human being who cares and respects the others you will never be our favorite guest. In this house we appreciate kindness and friendliness and that's exactly what we are able to give ourselves.
With all the respect I could find
Papadaki Maria
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stayed here in August for a week, booked on strength of fab reviews on here. I should have researched more, so partly my fault. However you do get what you pay for, and at £381 for a week for four alarms should have rung! Travelled with Hubbie and two kids, 14 and 16. Arrived at 0300 to find everything locked up and a note on door advising us to call a number, good job I'd bought my mobile with me or we'd have been stranded!
Pool is described as small, but adequate but I was unprepared for HOW small, the photos definitely make it appear larger! It is a plunge pool, definitely not a swimming pool. No shallow end, all one depth (deep).
Our apartment was basic, very basic. When shown in kostas noted the bathroom light didn't work and he would fix it, we stayed one week, he didn't. Neither did he fix the broken toilet seat, nor the pathetically small shower when the shower head fell off after one too many bangs on it from our heads ducking under a shower that was 5foot tall when we were well over 5'10!! I didn't bother reporting them as a. I didn't feel comfortable doing so and b. I figured the "cleaner" would notice as surely she would be cleaning the bathroom and see such items needed fixing?
The cleaner was, quite simply, rubbish. We ate out on our balcony some mornings, and the crusty bread crumbs on floor built up over the week. There was no broom nor dustpan or brush, so we were unable to clean up after ourselves as Maria has suggested, nor was there a mop to clear up the shower. Sockets hung off the wall over my daughters bed with the wires protruding, as in the photo posted on here previously, obviously not been fixed. The light fitting also hung off.
I thought the actual exterior was very pretty, very welcoming but the interior, and I can only speak for my own experience, left me feeling very disappointed. I would recommend this property if your a young couple that want a pretty to look at base as its ideally situated. However it is definitely not for families or people expecting more than the basics.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Carobbyrd
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

we stayed in aug for 10 days had a fab time, very relaxed and laid back. our bins were changed everyday and nothing was a problem for the lovely hosts. excellent location preferred going up into the old village as this was more relaxed. It was about 10 min walk to main town and beach.
Accommodation was basis but clean would be useful to have a dustpan and brush to use in the apartment. Hope to go back soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed at the papadakis for the 1st 2 weeks of july with my wife,well if its 5star you want forget it,if its a family feel nice food and sun this is the place.kostas maria billy and all the staff brilliant,lovely friends we made billiant the bars and resteraunts up the hill are really nice and good value the strip nice and loads of choice in bars and where to eat,bit old for the clubs later in the evening but the younger guys enjoyed themselves good on em their on holiday and we enjoyed their company.the free bbq is lovely and a great gesture from the hosts, but then again in my opinion it doesnt surprise me given the generosity we all received in the free raki etc given to us by kostas and maria and barstaff.love you more and is it time,i think it is time we were back at the papadakis miss you all bamyiam.x

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank bamyiam
Wirral, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My partner and I returned from our holiday at Papapdakis Villas in August, overall we found our holiday to be enjoyable and relaxing and exactly what we needed. Our review is as follows:

Location: these apartments are ideally situated between the Hersonnissos strip [nightlife, fast food bars, beach, shops] and Koutouloufari and Pisko Piano [fantastic restrauarants and a handful of shops]. We spend the majority of our holidays walking 10 minutes up hill to Koutouloufari as the restaurants and pubs there were great, no pushy front men pestering you to eat in their restaurants like on the strip.

Apartment: Papadakis Villas was like going back 15 years, walls were white, white floors, dark wood cupboards, fittings in need of updating but tbh ours was one of the best and the bathroom was superb so we were not disappointed but some people were, so please do your homework before you go. We booked through Kostas and we got what we wanted and we were pleased. I did see some other rooms and their bathrooms were awful and sockets hanging off the wall. If you are looking for gloss surfaces and shiny floors with mod cons this is NOT the place for you. Kostas and Maria do not advertise the accommodation as 5* but as basic 3* and the price you pay reflects this. Towels and bedding are changed every 4 days which is not enough and bins are done at the same time which is unusual for Greece as in my experience they toilet bins are changed mainly daily and certainly every other day. However, Kostas did tell us on departure that if we had requsted more frequent bin changes he would have tried to accomodate us - so holidaymakers bear this in mind. The cleaner is not the best either, in fact i would challenge her job title under the trade descriptions act, she was more of a mover than a cleaner... we had to buy cloths and cleaning materials, bleach for the toilet which ive never done before on holiday!! I would recommend that a dust pan and bush is also available in apartments as the floors get very sandy. A decent cleaner would sort this out easily. The lack of hot water was an issue for us and many people. Their only source is solar and there was little available until around 11am and none after 7.30pm as everyone had used it up which meant we had cold showers on many occasions - after a few days you learn to play the game and get in early with your shower!!! fun :-)

The bar area FAT FROG is a nice area by the pool and the guys who man it are great and in particular Yannis, hes very polite and helpful and knowlegeable about the area, he works long hours and is always happy to pour his visitors a nice ice cold beer!!

There is a book swap service too which is good and i made use of whilst I was there.

The weekly BBQ was good fun and fantastic for meat lovers, pork chops, chicken galore and houloumi kebabs again very tasty. Nigel a local resident attended both BBQ's and was great fun - ex cockny living in Greece how cool eh? Ive posted some pics of some great people we met and of Nige [long grey hair you cant miss him lol] BBQ is free and a lovely gesture from Kostas and Maria and Kostoas makes sure there is free flowing Raki which was not so popular with my head in the morning :-( Drinks are not cheap at the bar but they are good quality, anything imported is not cheap so i guess its fair enough! The BBQ can be good fun - Thank you Kostos and Nige!!!

Food: there was little choice of on-site food and limited availability, in our experience they often ran out. They also do not sell ice creams or ice lollies which is a shame. We chose to have our lunches in our apartments when we were around the pool which we enjoyed. A must down town on the strip is the pita stop, food there was fab and in particular the chicken gyros [greek kebabs]. Up hill to Koutouloufari we found Mezes tapas fantastic, we ate twice here, first mezes which was an array of food served to us over a 2 hour period - mmmm see our review of mezes. David Vergara is a must and absolute fantastic reflection of how greek food should be served.

In summary, we had a good holiday, lots of laughts, we would stay here again as we enjoyed a taste of the old greece. We loved that the place was laid back. Kostas and Maria are nice people and are trying to create a basic standard of accommodation for couples, this place is not really for kids as there is not enough for them to do and the pool is too deep for them to play safely. Any questions please email me.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool are more private. Higher floors have sunny seating areas.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Amanda L
papadakisvillas, Owner at Papadakis Villas, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear guest thank you for your review, it's always useful for us to get our guest's feedback as it's helping us progress in an era of a lot of competition and strange demands..
Your review has put us in a lot of thought especially about our cleaner. We didn't know if it is our mistake or hers...but then again we took the answer from our philosophie for life generally. The cleaner is a human being and not a robot, she comes in your room every second day to change your bins and check your towels and to give you a hand with keeping your room clean. You are in a self catering accomodation and keeping your room clean is something you should take part in. When you come back from the beach for instance you can wash your feet in one of the hobs you find around the property and you skip the mess. That's part of the communal feeling you get in Papadakis Villas as well. In this house we help each other and we respect each other's needs. That's why everybody feels like home here. If you need something it's obvious you can ask for it. All our guests seem to know it. We are sorry this was not obvious to you.
The menu in our bar is small and more importantly, fresh. From our experience fresh things finish at some point. We are very proud that some things finish because we have invested on serving home made food and homegrown vegetables. The difficult times all the world is going through are demanding creativity and honesty and that's where we are working on.
Finally we need to say that you booked for our most expensive option in our hotel and comparing your room with other people's room who possibly payed half the money you payed is surely unfair to people who read this review or to people who stayed in the room you are implying and haven't complained at all.
We want to make sure everybody knows that Papadakis Villas is an old property that we maintain wit a lot of love, passion and lots of mistakes. But it's a genuin little place with a lot of character and it's appreciated from people who see beyond white walls and brown cabinets.
With respect
Papadaki Maria
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I came here with my partner and 8year old daughter. We were made to feel so welcome on arrival and we were all very sad to leave. Kostas and maria were amazing and so friendly. The apartments were lovely and it was nice that it was a small complex. Kostas and maria had a BBQ one evening where everyone was invited and the food was free and yummy. Its situated in a perfect location and the fat frog bar makes it difficult to want to leave. We had an amazing time. My dad is going to Crete this October and I have told him this is the only place to stay. Its just wonderful. Thank you kostas and maria.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family