Mediterraneo Hotel(Hersonissos)
Creta Blue Suites(Koutouloufari)
$136
$132
  • Breakfast included
Village Heights Golf Resort(Hersonissos)(Great Value!)
$52
Κoutouloufari Village Holiday Club(Koutouloufari)(Great Value!)
$65
$129
$122
$247
$229
Bookgreece.com
  • Breakfast included
Creta Maris Beach Resort(Hersonissos)
$1,086
$1,052
All reviewsfat frogfree barbecuebbq nightrooms are basiccretan breakfastweekly bbqother guestssmall complexup hillself cateringhappy daysfantastic hostsgreat holidayair conthe cleaning ladygreek stylemain town
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Firstly I am writing this review a little late, as myself and girlfriend had the pleasure of staying here a while back (May 2012) and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to heap more praise on the place!

We were struggling to find a place to go away this year let alone finding the money to be able to fund it! Each holiday we looked at seemed so expensive and didn't seem to represent value for money,even though we were prepared to go away just before the summer season begun. However, after an extensive search we had the fortune of finding the Papadakis Villas which seemed to tick all the right boxes. Good Trip Advisor reviews, excellent Price (we booked to stay in a double room for a week in May for £60!) and reasonably priced flights. Knowing the price we had paid, I think it was fair say we were happy to be going on holiday but didn't have high expectations of what could be waiting for us. Thankfully we were pleasantly surprised.

However, my only concern prior to leaving was how we would get from the airport to the Papadakis Villas. As this wasn't a package holiday with transfers included, I decided to do a bit of research and shop around using the various websites that offer transport. To my surprise they were a little more expensive than I had anticipated so we both agreed that upon arriving at the airport we would trust the public transport to get us to the Apartments. This was a fantastic idea and I can't recommend it highly enough as it cost us about 3 Euros each to get there and the same back to the airport at the end of the holiday! Total coast of transfer for 2= 12 Euro's. Bargain! Upon leaving the Airport, turn right until you reach the road, cross the road and the other side will be a bus stop. Wait for the bus to Malia, ask to get off at Spar in Hersonissos. Once there you have two options: Taxi to Papadakis Villas (at the cost of 6-8 Euro) or a 10/15 minute walk to the Papadakis Villas but do bear in mind if you have a lot of luggage it may be an effort as the Villas are located up a fairly steep hill! However, should that not put you off, simply walk a couple of minutes up the road (the way you are facing when the bus drops you off) from Spar and when you see a Kebab shop called 'Pita Point' turn right and walk up the hill. Continue past the Football pitch until you see a mini roundabout, walk left up the hill for a couple of minutes then you will see the sign for the Fat Frog bar which is where the Villas are located! Easy!

We were greeted by the co owner Kostas, who proceeded to show us to our room and explained they had a big storm the night before so we would have to wait a while for any power. Whilst this didn't cause us any immediate bother, we did wonder when it would be sorted so we decided to get out and explore the area. On our return, we were informed by Kostas we had power back and once again he was very apologetic. The room itself was fairly basic but is decorated nicely and we had everything we could have needed for a weeks stay. A few other guests made the observation that the self catering facilities were a little inadequate but I would have to disagree. There were times when we chose to eat in and managed to cook curries and pasta dishes, using ingredients from the local supermarkets which in my opinion were of good quality and reasonably priced. The small 'gardens' surrounding the apartments were pretty and the whole place was very well kept. There is a small pool which is adequate enough to swim a few lengths but was fairly deep, maybe not ideal for young children.

Personally, I would say the ideal way to see and explore Crete would be to hire a car, get yourself to the excursions and cut out the 'middle men' excursion agencies. There is so much to see and do in Crete, I would highly recommend viewing the 'things to do' Trip Advisor page for Crete as it will give you an idea of what there is for you. Unfortunately, we were let down by the excursion agency numerous times which resulted in us missing out on doing some of the things we wanted to do. Papadakis Villas is a fantastic location as you are within walking distance of Hersonnissos shops and up the hill are the beautiful villages. Whilst, there isn't much to do in the villages up the hill, they are ideal for lovely walks and eating out. We found the restaurants in the villages were of a better standard than down the hill in Hersonnisos. Also, a MUST is to view the local aquarium, a ten minute walk from the Villas, check them out on Trip Advisor 'things to do', they have very good ratings which is well deserved for their hard work.

Overall we left feeling very happy with the whole experience and encourage Kostas and Maria to continue doing what they do best as it is clearly working. Their hospitality is second to none and the free BBQ they put on is a very generous touch. I would say if you want good value for money, with little emphasis on luxury, and the opportunity to visit a beautiful place then Papadakis Villas is definitely for you.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
13  Thank James666_12
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We picked this place because of the reviews and we weren't disappointed. The location is good - mid way between the "strip" and the quieter villages of Koutoulafari / Piskopiano / Old Hersonissos.
The compact pool and communal area means you will get chatting to your fellow guests and I'm glad we did as this made for a friendlier less anonymous experience. (We really don't favour those "cruise ship" sized hotels with hundreds of rooms). The free barbecue night is a great idea and the complimentary shots certainly losened the toungues and got everyone chatting. After an evening on the coast or up in the village restaurants it was great to come back and have a night cap and a natter.
I read a few negative reviews with disbelief. Complaining about ants is like complaining about a barking dog or sunburn - Welcome to Greece ! - As with most subjective postings, if you disregard the best and worst 10 % you'll get a true reflection. Yes - the word basic crops up a lot but we didn't pay for luxury and we were slightly suprised with the accomodation in relation to other Greek islands we have stayed on. It's more to do with the hosts, the location and what friendships you can strike up with your fellow guests.

The only slight issue we had was that a spectagular thunder storm early one morning caused a lot of surface water, some of which made it into our room and one other. Maria was very quick to remedy the situation. (I must point out that this weather event was extreme and we were there early October ! 24 hours later in gorgeous sunshine, you wouldn't have known it had happened !)
The restaurants up in the villages are as good as people say and not so expensive. Check out Trip Advisor recommendations.

We'd like to thank all the holidaymakers we met during our 8 days - You each contributed in some small way to make this one of the best Greek hols we've had in years ! Thanks to -
Katie, Pete, Colin, Jude, Min, Louise, Hayden, Kurt, Andy, Paul, Sue, Rod, Kevin, Janet, Heather, Jen, Eleethea & hubby plus Pollyanna89 (just read your review). I must apologise to the friendly couple from Redcar in the room next door whose names escape me (due to Raki abuse !) Your cute sprog was so quiet we didn't even know she was there ! A very big YAMAS to Maria, Costas and Bill !!! See you next year ! - Roger & Chrissy

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank watsonworld
Reviewed October 16, 2012

As with all my reviews I write a true and unbiased report of my holiday experience
To allow me to keep within my budget I've become prudent with my spending and still manage two holidays abroad. We always read reviews to find out as much as possible about where we are going and where we are staying.

My September / October review consists of two weeks in Crete using Sunshine Holidays, subcontracted the flights with Easyjet transfers by A2B and the accommodation to Low Cost Beds.

Aircraft boarding passes were printed prior to travelling to Manchester Airport. The check in was a breeze, but I would recommend that you weigh your luggage prior to departure because if you go over the 20kg limit you will pay £11 per kg for the excess. This seems ridiculous, as there are no weight restrictions on hand luggage. If you have the right size holdall 56cm x 45cm x 25cm and you stuff everything that is heavy into your hand luggage.

The worse part of using budget airlines is the “mad dash” to board the aircraft, so your party can all sit together. This should stop in November 2012 when Easyjet introduce pre book able seating, as with everything I do not expect this to be free.

No issues with flight, the price of food and drink onboard the aircraft was competitive and I found it was better value buying a £3.79 meal deal from Boots pre flight.
The transfers A2B to the resort were very slow as we dropped off at seven hotels before our apartment and it took 90 minutes for a thirty-minute journey.

Arrived at the Papadakis Villas around midnight and was greeted by Bill the friendly barman, he insisted that we had a complimentary drink and two bottles of water before going to our room. I had read the reviews on Holidays Uncovered / Trip Advisor and found that the upstairs rooms away from the bar were the better alternative as they have balconies. Therefore I emailed the owner Kostas before departure requesting a room upstairs with a balcony He replied to the email "YES NO PROBLEM".

When we was given our keys and found our room as downstairs in a courtyard. I felt very disappointed after being promised a room with a balcony. I went to the bar the following day and spoke to Kostos and asked to change my room. Kostos was extremely rude said that the apartments were "full" therefore we couldn’t change rooms Maria his wife intervened and we changed rooms later that day, however this took a shine of what could have been a most enjoyable holiday,

Four days passed and our bins were overflowing, we had dirty towels and bedding. So in the evening I spoke to Bill who telephoned Kostos who instructed Bill to empty them! Not wanting the person serving me drinks emptying my toilet paper bin, I emptied the bin myself. I must say this wasn’t a nice experience I wouldn’t recommend it without rubber gloves. That evening Kostos was full of apologies and said it was an oversight because we moved rooms.

ACCOMODATION SORTED - Time to stock up with those essentials, there is a Spar Supermarket close to the accommodation. Directions - turn right out of the apartments, down the hill to the roundabout, turn right, as the road forks, take the left fork and the supermarket is on the right.

There are many tavernas and during our two weeks stay, we did not have a bad meal. I would recommend Alchemist up hill turn left on the left opposite olive product shop. The Alchemist looks like a cafe snack bar do not let this put you off as we had the best moussaka in 25 years of visitng the Greek islands. The owner’s grandma made it. It is a family run business the two sons working front of house and the mother in the kitchen. When we finished our meal we were given complementary orange cake with ice cream with fruit "delicious"

SUMMARY: These apartments achieved the Trip Advisor 2012 Excellence Award. However during my stay I found blocked drains, dangerous light switch, and ants. (Photo’s enclosed)

These apartments are not situated in an ideal location for anybody who has walking difficulties and for those who like your privacy as most rooms are overlooked. They are basic Greek accommodation within a courtyard setting. Do not get mixed up with the Papadakis Villas and Papadakis Apartments, as these are two different properties.

The free bbq and raki was a nice touch, and this was the only night the bar got full. I would not return to this accommodation because of my experiences.

Room Tip: Top floor with balcany are more private
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kevin W
papadakisvillas, Owner at Papadakis Villas, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear guest,
Thank you for your review as our guest's point of view always helps us improve our service which is a priority for us.However, I have to say it was quite dissapointing to see it as you were here socializing with us everyday and you never mentioned any of the above.I wonder did we look unfriendly or maybe it wasn't clear enough on our welcome meeting when we said if you have any problems in your room to let us know?
You asked for a quite room at your e-mail and you got it. You requested a balcony when you were here and you got it. We made a mistake on our cleaning schedual and we apologized acting immediately. Sorry we are only humans...We do make mistakes and we do apologise. The barman-Bill- is a very commited worker and he offered his help. Don't worry Dettol washing liquid has been discovered in Greece as well.
Yes the bar is packed on the BBQ nights as they are complimentary, part of our sharing philosophie which you were pleased to recieve..at least you looked pleased...
As for the ants, the picture is taken in the garden. After the big storm we had the previous day it's very normal. Sorry we are not killing ants but for us they represent the ability to make the most of everything and here in Papadakis Villas we embrace this symbolism.
With respect
Papadaki Maria
The owner

Reviewed October 14, 2012

When you're welcomed to your hotel with beer in a frozen glass, you know you're off to a good start. Papdakis is run by Maria, Kostas and Bill and there is a definite family feel to the hotel, helped by a complimentary, weekly barbecue and Bill's never- ending rounds of cocktail tasters! They really go out of their way to get guests to know each other which made for a really welcoming and friendly atmosphere.
The rooms are very basic, but as long as you don't expect anything more then you'll enjoy it. There is a kitchen which we used for making snacks and sandwiches but I wouldn't have wanted to try and cook anything more adventurous in there as there was no oven and limited utensils. That said, the Fat Frog bar served a good breakfast at a reasonable price and good bar snacks too!
As I say, the rooms are clean but basic and housekeeping come in regularly to change towels and bed linen. This being Crete, you pay for the A/C but it really is spectacularly effective!
The hotel is well- located for the beach (though pebbly and over- crowded), restaurants, bars, shops and the bus stops. I would definitely recommend going uphill for dinner though as the restaurants are far better and have more variety.
Remember, this is Greece, you are unlikely to find great luxury, what you will find however, is a very friendly welcome, helpful hosts and lots and lots of Raki.

Room Tip: The rooms upstairs all have really good, sun- soaked balconies which are great for an evening gin and tonic. Bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper; there is no bar noise but the cicadas in the adjoining field are the loudest I have ever heard and they start as soon as the sun comes up!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Bethyb00
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed here from 2nd to 9th October. The accomodation is halfway between Hersonnissos and Koutouloufari (10 mins walk from either) .There are 17 units all whitewashed cubes with blue doors and blue shuttered windows, set around little courtyards or balconies, My room was on the top floor (technically there are only two floors but it appears to be on different levels). It is very pretty and very greek in design.The aparments and studios are simply furnished, with tiled floors, air con is available at a supplement but I did not need it. I had a one bed apartment which had a double bed in the bedroom, quite unusual for greece.Beds in Greece are on the hard side, even in 5 star hotels, but you soon adapt. All the apartments and some of the studios, have a double bed and one or two singles. My apt had quite a large bathroom, by greek standards and also a shower curtain and raised bit around the shower, and of course no bath. Only 5 star hotels have baths and most 2 and three star accomm do not have shower curtains or shower trays. The self catering facilities consist of a fridge, two electric rings and a kettle, perfectly adequate for me, and the norm in most SC accom in Greece.Those people who want toasters, microwaves or more than a couple of pans need to book a villa.I had clean sheets and towels once during my stay, which is perfectly fine. There is a nice, but small pool and a small pool bar which serves breakfast and snack lunches, Maria uses a local british food shop for the ingredients for her english breakfast, so it is excellent. There is no food at night but Bill, the barman will order a takeaway if you are too tired or lazy to venture out. I ate in the little, very pretty villages of Koutouloufari, Piskopiano and Old Hersonnisos, the resort of Hersonnisos down the hill is not really my sort of place, it is too lively with english and irish pubs, fish saunas, amusement arcades and night clubs, however for those wanting this sort of thing Papadakis is ideally situated. What makes the Papadakis special though is its staff, Maria and Kostas (the owners) Barman Bill and Sophia the maid really work hard to make sure everyone has a lovely holiday. There is a weekly BBQ so everyone meets all the other guests and everyone talks to everyone else and shares tips about where to visit, where to eat etc. This was particularly nice for me as I was travelling alone, Greek islands are great for lone women travellers, very safe and friendly.All in all Papadakis is ideal for those wanting simple,traditional accommodation, but with a few essential mod cons, a friendly atmosphere and wonderful hosts. Once again thank you so much, Maria and Kostas for a delightful weeks holiday.

Room Tip: Number 27 is at the back , on the top floor so is not overlooked, and there is no passing traffic, as most rooms do not have a seperate balcony or private terrace. However no one complained about their room while I was there.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo