All reviews fat frog free barbecue bbq night rooms are basic cretan breakfast weekly bbq other guests small complex up hill self catering happy days great holiday fantastic hosts air con the cleaning lady greek style main town
Reviewed July 26, 2012

For the last 5 years we have been doing the All Inclusive package holidays because it suited our needs being a family of 5. This year my two eldest children decided that they didn't want to come so we decided to try something a little different. Having made the decision to try out a family run apartment in Crete, we did some research on Trip Adviser and found the Papadakis Villas Apartments. The thing that sold it for us was the positive reviews regarding the hospitality from Kostas, Maria and Bill. I can tell you all now - whatever I write on here is not enough to give them the credit that they deserve for giving the complete holiday experience. I now have 3 people who I am happy to call friends...! The apartments are basic, but they are clean and well maintained. There is air conditioning and a safe and these cost extra but hey, the rooms are so cheap they have to make a bit of money somewhere. You have your own balcony area with a couple of chairs and a table to relax and watch the sun go down. The pool is small but serves its purpose, which is to cool you down when you’re relaxing on a lounger in the sun. There is the Fat Frog Bar area which Kostas and Maria man in the day and Bill at night. Maria makes a superb English and Cretan Breakfast and my daughter loved her Sweet Chilli chicken wraps. The apartments are well situated to go exploring the village of Koutouloufari which is at the top of the hill or the busy main strip at the bottom. Now for the good bit - Kostas, Maria and Bill. These guys are the most amazing people who will go out of their way to assist in any way that they can. They will recommend the best places to eat and visit to try to ensure you have a very pleasant experience and then there is Bill, with his shots of tsikoudia (Cretan Raki). I could go on and on and on because all three are Amazing!!! We came out here with 2 other families but we left with many more friends because of the friendly atmosphere that is created, especially BBQ night where Kostas plays host. On a final note, as we all know the Greek economy is not in great shape and the people are going through some difficult times. Loans are difficult to obtain so a small family run business like this could be particularly vulnerable. However, Kostas and Maria put an awful lot of what they earn back into the business to try and make it even more enjoyable for all those families who return each year. (We will be one of them)
If you are expecting rooms like the Ritz then don't come here because you are going to be disappointed. However, if you want to chill out and make new friends and be entertained by people who really care then this is the place for you!!!
I have made a lot more friends as a result of coming here. (You all know who you are)
Iechyd da
Andre & Deb
x

Room Tip: The first floor is hot in July and you will definitely need air con whereas, you may not on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Andre1171
Reviewed July 26, 2012

just back from crete,papadakis villas, were i always go.As usual every body relaxed and enjoying there self,not wanting to go home, but planing there next trip back Big thanks to Kostas Maria and bill for there grate hospitality.Martin ta

Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank MARTIN S
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This was our first time in Crete and would highly recommend papadakis apartments. Kostas, Maria and Bill made everyone welcome and friendly and helpful throughout holiday, nothing was ever a problem, kostas gives you his mobile number if you run into any problems day or night. Free wifi in the bar area which is handy.
The room was clean and had all you needed for your holiday. Yes, you have to put your toilet paper in a separate bin but you will find that everywhere in Greece and is no drama as bins emptied regularly.
Air conditioning very good and well worth getting as means room is lovely and cool overnight (essential in July).
Pool area clean and always able to get lounger and relax there.
Drinks served in iced glasses from the freezer, it is all the little things like that that do make A difference to your holiday. Bar prices reasonable as well.
Met some fab people while there and the free barbecue was great, good food and company.
Food in bar excellent for lunch and breakfast and again reasonably priced.
Papadakis is a great base for a holiday and deserves all the good reviews from trip advisor.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank awaydaysScotland
Reviewed July 18, 2012

First off, I will say that when you arrive the owners made us feel welcomed. They said it's a family run business and if we have any problems to speak to them. They also gave us a bottle of water each and a shot of raki each. Seems quite good so far. Then we got to the room. I will list the bad points and then the good points of our stay.

* The room is very small. I know some rooms vary in size (we had friends in another room, it was slightly larger) so I can only speak for myself (2 sharing). It was one main room, not much bigger than my bedroom at home, then one tiny bathroom. No balcony. The main room has table/bed/kitchenette/wardrobe.

* The main room had two lights, one of which (above the bed) wasn't working.

* There was no smoke alarm (other rooms had them - fixture was there but you can see it had been removed)

* No grill or oven. For self-catering, this was shocking. There were two hobs, one average sized, the other about the size of the rim of a regular coffee mug. Tiny, and borderline useless.

* The bathroom did not lock.

* Our kettle didn't turn off automatically.

* The window was broken and did not lock properly.

* [See photograph] Shower had a bath curtain instead of a right-angled shower curtain, meaning the water from the shower went all over the toilet. I hope you like wet bathroom floors because there's no drain.

* Towels are not bath towel size. They're changed every few days and you get two hand towels and two slightly larger than hand towel size (think guest towels) towels. Although once we got one bath towel.

* Air conditioning is €7 per night. If you're staying for two weeks and have a warm room & sunburn, I hope you brought your piggy bank! That's almost €100 extra, you'd be better off booking a room somewhere else that includes air-con for that price.

* [See photograph] We selected pool/garden view. I wouldn't call a potted plant a 'garden', and as far as I could see there is only one room which can see the pool. Out the other window, people could see in.

* Cleaning lady doesn't knock, or on the rare occasion she does knock, she'll have the key in the door in under a second. Good luck to all young couples! Or just anybody who likes their privacy.

* Pool area is very small, although we didn't have any trouble getting a sun lounger as not many people hang about. Down by the beach you can pay €5 for 2 sun loungers on the beach, and make use of the large swimming pool & bar next to the beach. I recommend this.

I could have raised these issues with the owners but I was already disappointed and they may not have been able to fix them. Would they have replaced the locks on the window? Planted a garden? Brought in a grill and oven? Removed the bath curtain rain and installed a shower curtain rail? Perhaps, but I don't think so. The owners were nice nonetheless and this shouldn't be taken personally. There were some things we liked however.

* Good location. You're in the middle of three areas all of which are good to visit. If you go down the hill, you can be by the seaside. The views are nice, there are many nice bars etc. but the food isn't great (in general). If you go up the hill, the restaurants don't normally have nice views but the standard of food was much higher. Staying in Papadakis we had the choice and we were grateful for that, and we alternated which direction we went each night.

* As I said earlier, they were very welcoming. This isn't something you get everywhere else, it was nice to be welcomed after a full day of travelling.

* The fridge was good. It may seem odd to bring it up, but its freezer area made icecubes in a matter of minutes -- something I appreciated a lot in high temperatures!

* You can pay around €20 to stay an extra day or to leave late, which is very cheap compared to most places I have stayed in the past (some up to €50 just to check out at 4pm)

* There is a barbecue for free thrown by the owners for everyone staying here. It's a very nice gesture, saves a bit of money and gives the place a nice atmosphere. Everyone sits together and chats, there are free shots etc. It's very nice and homely and we appreciate the effort a lot.

All things considered, if this was in Spain/Canaries/Portugal, it would be a 1* or 2* resort. I have no doubt about it. I know Greece and Crete in general has very basic accommodation and it's cheap, but as a first timer to Crete I was still disappointed. I'll mention now that this is one of the places that doesn't allow you to flush toilet paper in the toilet, you must put the paper in the bin in the bathroom. Most of the bars and restaurants we went to allowed you to flush paper, so I don't know if it's cheap plumbing that's the root cause. Anyway, I thought you should know that.

(Sleep quality rated 2* because for a number of nights we could hear various English guests arguing for extended periods of time at about 5am, from inside the room you can hear everything outside)

So, I'm giving this place 2* to reflect what I think its true rating should be. The facilities are too poor for it to be a 3* in my opinion. The personality of the staff, unfortunately, does not increase the rating of the accommodation for me. I wish Kostas and Maria every success in the future.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank B M
Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

What can I say that has not been said - as many have mentioned before I would not normally return to the same resort and certainly not the same hotel but this was my third visit here!! The welcome friendly attitude combined with the great location keeps me coming back year on year. Kostas and Maria are a lovely couple who are great company as well as great hosts and this year Bill was a fab addition to the team.
As usual I feel I have come home having made some lovely new friends (and seen some old ones) and am planning my trip for next year,

• Stayed: June 2012